Thread: Help me with my frog plz

Nationality
    [United States]

Question Help me with my frog plz

OK so basically I had a female clawed frog that had jumped out the tank put me through a day of so much stress and i found her a like 10pm she was perfectly fine except with a bit of dust on her here and there I put her in about 2 in of water she was very active. but the next night or tonight she isnt moving and i would have buried her in the backyard but i found a dispersed heart rate put her back and drained the water so that her nose stuck out so my question is that is she just going into a hibernation like state and if not then whats wrong with her i need to know!

SOME ONE PLEASE REPLY EVERY MOMENT IS VITAL FOR HER SURVIVAL
    Last edited by amphib; July 9th, 2014 at 10:25 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help me with my frog plz

11:15pm 7/10/14 she has finally passed on not able to handle what I can only assume to be to much stress

I'm sorry about your frog I wish that me or another member had seen your post and been able to help.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF ! I'm very sorry about your frog's death. ACFs are escape artists and as all aquatic frogs, won't survive long if they get out of tank into a house. It might have looked OK; but it had received physiological damage already been exposed not only to dryness; but to household chemicals in floor, carpet, etc. . If you decide to keep others do make sure the top fits tight and keep water level 3-4 in below the aquarium top level.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't use really use floor chemicals as i have tile and just mop the floor with water every now and then and its not like i had done it all that recent so it in my house and that was how i had my tank and i have since closed the hole and have reinforced it ten times over i can barely move it and you are right in saying their escape artists the hole was only an inch wide and it was obscured by a cloth and that had seemed to discourage them until now. and i have kept these frog for most of my life. also i have friends who have had problems that are along the same circumstances but the frog survived so had been hoping that shed survive but she past on. After reviewing her i have decided that she was just not able to handle the stress or there was a internal injury not visible from the outside

PS the profile picture i use is a picture of my male albino

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry I missed this. I do not think there is much you could have done once she escaped, once they get out you have to find them fast. She could have been injured during the fall, or damaged somehow while out of the tank, there is really no way to know.

I had a frog that did the same thing, I was just a bit luckier and found her uninjured. You did the right thing though to place her in some water so she could rehydrate herself and regain strength.

All you can really do is as Carlos said and to make sure the lid is 100% secure. Here is how I keep my ACF secure, I use a glass lid and a canister filter, the plastic backing of the glass lid is fit snug to the canister tubing. Since I've had this set up, I've had no escapes. You may also want to lower the water level a bit, 3"-4" works.

Nationality
    [United States]

thanks for your reply but as i forgot to mention i have also bought clips so my fat frogs cant get out by hitting the lid off some how. and as i mentioned prior i have secured it so nothing can get in or out

Thread Information