Thread: My ADF lost the use of his back legs so what do I do?

XxFroggedxX

Exclamation My ADF lost the use of his back legs so what do I do?

Ok so I got my ADF a couple of months ago. He seemed fine but wasn't very active. A couple of days ago I believe that I had an ammonia spike in my tank. I think that this is where it all began. During this spike I lost the guppy that I had. My betta seemed fine after I did a 50% water change. I noticed that my ADF was on his back so I got scared that he might have died but then he tried swimming to the surface but only made it a couple inches before he began to float back down onto his back. I picked him up and brought him to the surface so that he breathe and put him back into the tank. The same thing happened. This time I saw that he wasn't using his legs to swim. I put into a small plastic container filled with 3 inches of waters and let it float in the tank. Since then he has regained some control over his legs but still can't reach the top of the fish tank. Any ideas on how to treat his condition or what it might be? I have a 10g long tank with a betta and java moss that I keep at around 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Member needs to set country!

Thumbs up Re: My ADF lost the use of his back legs so what do I do?

welcome to the site and this is not for dwarfs this is for theirs cousins the about 5 inch african clawed frog im no expert in fact i have none of them now but i did have some but this never happened so i hope i can help ok so this is what i would do i would lower the water to 2 inches so he can get to the top easy if he still cant lower it some more BUT NO LOWER THAN 1 INCH and i would just let him rest in peace and let nature take its course whether it be death or life let him be in peacend i would ask an expert not to say there aren't experts on here but a paid expert where you pay them because they should know more than the people here still no offense

XxFroggedxX

Default Re: My ADF lost the use of his back legs so what do I do?

Ok thanks. I did what you said and he seems to be getting better. He can move his legs but still can't swim with them. He is eating so that's good. Sorry for posting in the wrong place.

100+ Post Member

its ok your new its not a big deal but i just wanted you to know besides you might be able to get more people over here

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't have any additional advice, but this is the correct forum for both types of aquatic frogs, ADF's and ACF's.

I think if you keep him in shallow water, hopefully he will survive and eventually improve. I would keep it covered in case he gets better quick and tries to hop out. Be sure you are keeping his water clean/filtered too.

100+ Post Member

oh.. i am sorryi had no idea that it was for both i just was not thinking at the moment but yes i agree filter it what do you think about air stones for filter

Thread Information