Thread: New Here, What type of Frog is This?

OneLostToad

Default New Here, What type of Frog is This?

Hello all! Just joined and have a question...
    What type of frog is this? We caught it in our yard and are hoping it's a bullfrog.
    It has a very healthy appetite, and hops around when it wants to.
    It has white underbelly and white under its legs
    . Name:  1404088460028.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  129.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20140629_192208.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  147.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: New Here, What type of Frog is This?

It's definitely not a bullfrog, they lack the little ridges that run down the back of this frog (the dorsolateral folds). It looks like one of your leopard frogs, you can find out more about them here: Frogs of Texas | Herps of Texas

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Leopard. White dot on the ear gives it away. They need LOTS of water and room to move.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Baby BullFrog

I to found my new freind in my yard. And I don't know how to take care of him. A few questions I have
    1) what breed?( how do I post a pic?)
    2) what do I feed him?
    3) what age is him?
    4) what sex?
    5) what should his habitat be?

Tongue Flicker

Nope not a bullfrog. I don't think a bullfrog would like the idea of perching on plants.

Welcome aboard!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by OneLostToad View Post
    ...What type of frog is this?...
    Agree with others it's a Leopard. More information on their care in here: Frog Forum - Leopard Frog Care - Rana pipiens (Schreber, 1782) and R. sphenocephala (1886). They need dechlorinated tap water in their home. Can build a 50-50 or similar ratio wet/dry enclosure for them. More information on building set-ups in the vivarium section or how-to articles section.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby BullFrog View Post
    I to found my new freind in my yard. And I don't know how to take care of him. A few questions I have
    1) what breed?( how do I post a pic?)
    2) what do I feed him?
    3) what age is him?
    4) what sex?
    5) what should his habitat be?
    Easiest way to me is to upload your pics to a photo sharing site like Photobucket and using the links to post pics in forum. Recommend you start your own new thread so advice and comments do not get confused with others. Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OneLostToad View Post
    Hello all! Just joined and have a question...
    What type of frog is this? We caught it in our yard and are hoping it's a bullfrog.
    It has a very healthy appetite, and hops around when it wants to.
    It has white underbelly and white under its legs
    . Name:  1404088460028.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  129.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20140629_192208.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  147.7 KB

Aww, she is cute! It looks like she is not very big yet but it is hard to tell in the pic since there is not much to compare her size to. I say her because of her tympanum (the ear). The way to tell the sex of a Leopard Forg is by the size of the ear in relation to the eye. If the ear patch is larger than the eye, it is a male; if the ear is smaller or about the same size as the eye, it is a female. I have a leopard frog tadpole that I am hoping will morph some time soon but he has all but given up on life since he lost his tank mate and sibling. I have done lots of research on them so far. They are timid frogs and easy to spook. Keep her enclosure in a quiet area of the house so that the families activities don't stress her out. You don't have to put her in a room by her self, just a calm corner of the room will do fine. They also like to have room to swim and room to explore on land as well. If she is the only one you plan to keep, a 30 gallon tank will do fine for her but the bigger, the better, since they are very active little frogs and need the room to move around. She is adorable and looks happy enough in the pics you posted. She will only get to be about 5 inches or so in length but they do have a BIG appetite. I have read that eat everything from earth worms and moths to crickets, locusts and grasshoppers and even aquatic prey (though I would not recommend feeding her fish or other aquatic prey since they can cause complications such as parasites and even impactions because of the skeletal systems of vertebrate prey). I wish you the best of luck with your new family member. She really is adorable! If you have any other questions on Leopard Frogs feel free to send me a message to my inbox. I would be glad to help out in any way that I can. Best Wishes: MsBlueRose

Quote Originally Posted by MsBlueRose View Post
    Aww, she is cute! It looks like she is not very big yet but it is hard to tell in the pic since there is not much to compare her size to. I say her because of her tympanum (the ear). The way to tell the sex of a Leopard Forg is by the size of the ear in relation to the eye. If the ear patch is larger than the eye, it is a male; if the ear is smaller or about the same size as the eye, it is a female.
    This doesn't work for any Leopard Frogs I've seen. Do a google image search for calling Leopard Frogs and you can see some definite males with eardrums no larger than their eyes

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    This doesn't work for any Leopard Frogs I've seen. Do a google image search for calling Leopard Frogs and you can see some definite males with eardrums no larger than their eyes
    Hi Brian! Leopard frog is a collective term that includes several Rana species. Some of those do have larger tympanic membranes than R. pipiens when compared to their eye diameter. At least it appears to me that way, with the Rio Grande Leopard Frog being an example in link provided .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hi Brian! Leopard frog is a collective term that includes several Rana species. Some of those do have larger tympanic membranes than R. pipiens when compared to their eye diameter. At least it appears to me that way, with the Rio Grande Leopard Frog being an example in link provided .
    Yes, I was using "Leopard Frog" as a generic catch all, which of course increases my danger of being wrong. Here's a bunch of photos of the Rio Grande version CalPhotos none of which have a tympanic membrane convincingly larger than their eye. It may have a larger membrane/eye ratio than in R. pipiens, but we're talking about differences of the sexes within the same species. I'd love to see any comparisons anyone has between male/female within any species of "Leopard Frog" that shows a difference in tympanum, I've never seen one which doesn't mean it doesn't exist and I'm always happy to learn something new

Thread Information