This is my thread can someone answer my questions lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Anyone heard of designer frogs.com

Clayton, instead of going with a sexed pair for $200-300, why not get a group of young Azureus, Josh's frogs has them for $39.99 each or 4 for 29.99 each, if you get 3 or 4, you have a pretty good chance of getting a pair in there. That's what I would do. If you have more males or females than you would like when they're adults, you could sell them.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

I drifted over from another forum but wanted to chime in. I can feel your frustration.

Just a bit of history...Designer frogs was started not very long ago as a family operation. They often brag about the experience they have with thousands and thousands of frogs, but have really only owned frogs for about 3 years and have only been on anyone's radar for about the last year. It's now clear that from early on their goal was to create "Designer Frogs", a derogatory term they've adopted and rebranded from the hobby, from the very start. Many hobbyists became suspicious of this early on when it seemed that the website (whatever it was called back then, they've gone through some name changes) seemed to focus a lot of webspace on the argument that there was no difference between the regional varieties of dart frogs and that because these regional crossbreeds can occur, then they must occur in the wild. They quoted respected scientific sources selectively and out of context to make this argument, completely ignoring the natural barriers that create and maintain these regional varieties in the wild. They even claimed that they had completely mapped the dart frog phenotype and could create through crossbreeding frogs that weren't just indistinguishable from other varieties (perhaps some that weren't even in the hobby), but actually WERE those varieties. The "science" they used to back those claims was ridiculous even from a novices point of view.

Obviously they had seen the popularity of crossbred stock with other animals and saw it as an unexploited niche in the hobby and assumed that it would be wildly popular. As you're probably learning now the great majority of the dart frog community puts much more value on traceable natural lines. It probably has to do with the conservation-minded people that the hobby appeals to. It's not really conservation by any means, but most hobbyists would like to preserve the frogs natural state, as many may be gone/unavailable in our lifetimes. Right or wrong, that is what the hobby seems to value. Initially Designerfrogs prices were on par with the rest of the hobby, and their "hybrids" were about 3-4 times that cost. Eventually they had to lower their prices well below the hobby to make any sales, including their "hybrids". Now they have a problem. They are seen as a pariah by the legitimate hobby and they claim to have 7000+ frogs that the hobby wont touch, so they've focused their sales on wholesaling to pet stores, that really only care about cost, and the new and uniformed. The way they've targeted the uniformed is by claiming/implying that many of the "innovations" that have been common practice for years in the hobby were, not only their invention, but that they're the only ones who offer such a service, for instance:

1)They've trademarked the name "SAFE" and use it interchangeably with "non-poisonous", and they strongly imply that other breeders are selling dangerously poison frogs. Wild frogs are poison because of their "wild" diet. Some wild caught frogs retain some toxicity for a while, but the vast majority of frogs available are captive bred and any frog on a captive diet cannot sequester enough alkaloids to create appreciable toxins. By that measure, almost all dart frogs are safe.

2)They muddy the language in any conversation about pathogens. They will claim that their collection is pathogen/chytrid/parasite free because they are trademarked SAFE (wait, didn't that mean non toxic?). When asked if they do any testing they say they don't have to because their animals are guaranteed 100% healthy. No testing + rampant crossbreeding, thus encouraging novel pathogens = 100% healthy.

3) They claim to be the only ones who offer a live arrival guarantee. Every reputable breeder offers that. It is literally the minimum you must do to be considered a legitimate breeder.

4) They claim to be shipping experts that can ship in any weather. Again, safe, responsible, legal shipping is the minimum any legitimate breeder can offer.

5) They claim that their crossbreeding will put less stress on wild imports, when it historically has CLEARLY shown to put more stress on wild imports by weakening confidence in the validity of current hobby strains.

6) They've given really bad husbandry advice to newbies in an effort to sell more frogs, i.e. mixing and overcrowding.

7) They've done their best to demonize methylparaben (additive used in many fruit fly culture recipes). All the available science shows it is harmless in the quantities it's used in, but they've launched a smear campaign on it's use to cast a shadow over other breeders and distract from the actual health concerns that Designerfrogs risks.

8) They claim that their frogs are much, much larger than other breeders frogs of the same age and sex-able earlier. I'm really oversimplifying here but basically the factors contributing to growth are genetics, feeding, absence of stress, absence of toxins. They purchased their founding stock from other hobbyists...same genetics. They feed every other day...not powerfeeding. They overcrowd frogs...contributes to stress. They don't use methylparaben...many breeders do, many do not, the science says it makes no difference. I don't have any evidence that their frogs are any larger or smaller as it's an unprovable claim, but it would be very easy to just shave a couple months off the frogs age and voila, you have the largest frogs for their age...not much of a claim.

9) They anthropomorphize the frogs to a ridiculous extent. It's one thing to advertise happy healthy frogs, it's quite another to claim that the frogs you breed enjoy human company, look forward to interactions with the owners, are happier if they are purchased and kept with the other BFF frogs they've been raised with, and are guaranteed to never have territorial conflicts with the BFF frogs they've been purchased with. These were all actual claims.

10) Things got real creepy when the owner got tired of the online criticism and started threatening law suits, tracing IP addresses and asking for personal information in an attempt to intimidate and stop the comments/observations. He's backed off recently because he kind of went to far and published something on his website that could be construed as harassment.

11) They've renamed species of frogs in a direct attempt to muddy the waters. It's an attempt to de-legitimize known lines of frogs, and legitimize artificially created lines of frogs. They claim it's to differentiate their frogs from other breeders, but it's the really a misinformation campaign to put crossbreeds on an even playing field.

This is literally a sampling of just some of the issues many of us have had with Designerfrogs. Almost any of the above points is designed to fool a buyer before he gets a chance to become a little more informed. I could keep going, but this post is probably too long for anyone to read as is. The bottom line is that Designerfrogs has invested a ton of money into a venture which most hobbyists recognize as bad for the hobby. Instead of backing up and correcting the major issues, they've doubled down and thrown up smokescreens. They proven themselves dishonest and have 7000 frogs of questionable heritage that they need to get rid of. They've already stated that they do not recognize natural occurring variations as legitimate, so maybe the original poster got pure azureus, and maybe he didn't. If they're claiming they are pure, then they probably are...but you can see that there may be pressures for them not to be honest about a designation that they have publicly said they don't respect anyway. Even if you don't disagree with the production of crossbreeds, they way they've gone about it is deceptive and sleazy.

...and while I don't have any adult azureus pairs now, I sold my last two pairs for $150/pair plus shipping. For common frogs like azureus, that's not atypical.

TAPDart91

Thankyou !!thats what iv been waiting for a detailed answer thanks so much wow i had no idea they was that big of BS thats is all extreamly. Informative and exactly what i was looking for. Ill be sure to keep these frog by themselves and will not breed them. Also ill be sure to purchase from a better backed dealer thank you again so much for you perfect insight

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clayton1089 View Post
    Alright so bottom line is if I shouldnt buy from them than where should I buy and what should I expect to pay for a sexed pair?
    Can someone experienced with they hobby please answer this question for Clayton? It seems to have gotten lost in the muddle of this thread. I can only offer so much advice as my experience lies purely with tree frogs.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

TAPDart91

Is there any way somebody like yourself would sale frogs with good lineage. If not who would you recommend. Me going to since from what others have told me I basically. Need to restart my collection from a better dealer if i ever plan on having a pair breed

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Can someone experienced with they hobby please answer this question for Clayton? It seems to have gotten lost in the muddle of this thread. I can only offer so much advice as my experience lies purely with tree frogs.
    Hi Clayton,

I don't believe anyone should buy from them, no.

As to your other questions, It depends on what you're looking for. You might see sexed pairs from $150-$600 depending on species, availability, and hype, and you don't see sexed pairs nearly as frequently as neonates. I think Amy had some really good advice. Space considerations are an issue, but you can buy a small group for much less, give them a year, learn about taking care of them with hands-on experience, enjoy watching them grow, then when you determine you have a sexual pair sell off the rest.

Beware of the "Breed Frogs and Make Money" mentality. It rarely works out that way, and even when it does it somehow can mysteriously strip all of the fun out of the hobby for you. I speak from experience here.

I'm new here and not sure about the rules yet. Most of the sites I frequent are pretty touchy about naming vendors in posts, but if you PM me I can try and find someone who has what you're looking for. That goes for you too TAPDart91.

...and Amy, tree frogs rule. I have to get into them someday.

Default Anyone heard of designer frogs.com

Quote Originally Posted by derezzed View Post
    It happens... more people have been in odd situations like that than you'd think. I've been there too. To be honest, trying to pick up darts as breeding projects right off the bat isn't a great idea to begin with. That is another reason why a lot of people have issues with DF since they are pretty much advocating it.

A LOT of people are breeding them and there really isn't a ton of "money" in it or anything. It's best to just find out what you like and keep them for your own enjoyment. If they breed that's great. It is fun to raise tadpoles and froglets... and you can sell the offspring. Just don't expect it to be profitable by any means (especially for the time put in). I use the little money I make on mine to pay for food and occasionally a new addition. That being said, breeding doesn't make you a successful keeper. Keeping healthy frogs does.
    Couldn't have said it better myself

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

TAPDart91

Quote Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
    Hi Clayton,

I don't believe anyone should buy from them, no.

As to your other questions, It depends on what you're looking for. You might see sexed pairs from $150-$600 depending on species, availability, and hype, and you don't see sexed pairs nearly as frequently as neonates. I think Amy had some really good advice. Space considerations are an issue, but you can buy a small group for much less, give them a year, learn about taking care of them with hands-on experience, enjoy watching them grow, then when you determine you have a sexual pair sell off the rest.

Beware of the "Breed Frogs and Make Money" mentality. It rarely works out that way, and even when it does it somehow can mysteriously strip all of the fun out of the hobby for you. I speak from experience here.

I'm new here and not sure about the rules yet. Most of the sites I frequent are pretty touchy about naming vendors in posts, but if you PM me I can try and find someone who has what you're looking for. That goes for you too TAPDart91.

...and Amy, tree frogs rule. I have to get into them someday.
    Thank you bery much Boondoggle

Clayton, you can also check out Facebook (I know, of all places) for local breeders. Most larger localities have pages dedicated to their dart frog communities.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

clayton1089

Thank you everyone I have no plan on breeding for money just that if they do naturally its kinda a fun thing to watch happen and sure I might sell a few but I know im not going to get rich off it just if it paid for some supplies that would be fine by me

TAPDart91

Quote Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
    I drifted over from another forum but wanted to chime in. I can feel your frustration.

Just a bit of history...Designer frogs was started not very long ago as a family operation. They often brag about the experience they have with thousands and thousands of frogs, but have really only owned frogs for about 3 years and have only been on anyone's radar for about the last year. It's now clear that from early on their goal was to create "Designer Frogs", a derogatory term they've adopted and rebranded from the hobby, from the very start. Many hobbyists became suspicious of this early on when it seemed that the website (whatever it was called back then, they've gone through some name changes) seemed to focus a lot of webspace on the argument that there was no difference between the regional varieties of dart frogs and that because these regional crossbreeds can occur, then they must occur in the wild. They quoted respected scientific sources selectively and out of context to make this argument, completely ignoring the natural barriers that create and maintain these regional varieties in the wild. They even claimed that they had completely mapped the dart frog phenotype and could create through crossbreeding frogs that weren't just indistinguishable from other varieties (perhaps some that weren't even in the hobby), but actually WERE those varieties. The "science" they used to back those claims was ridiculous even from a novices point of view.

Obviously they had seen the popularity of crossbred stock with other animals and saw it as an unexploited niche in the hobby and assumed that it would be wildly popular. As you're probably learning now the great majority of the dart frog community puts much more value on traceable natural lines. It probably has to do with the conservation-minded people that the hobby appeals to. It's not really conservation by any means, but most hobbyists would like to preserve the frogs natural state, as many may be gone/unavailable in our lifetimes. Right or wrong, that is what the hobby seems to value. Initially Designerfrogs prices were on par with the rest of the hobby, and their "hybrids" were about 3-4 times that cost. Eventually they had to lower their prices well below the hobby to make any sales, including their "hybrids". Now they have a problem. They are seen as a pariah by the legitimate hobby and they claim to have 7000+ frogs that the hobby wont touch, so they've focused their sales on wholesaling to pet stores, that really only care about cost, and the new and uniformed. The way they've targeted the uniformed is by claiming/implying that many of the "innovations" that have been common practice for years in the hobby were, not only their invention, but that they're the only ones who offer such a service, for instance:

1)They've trademarked the name "SAFE" and use it interchangeably with "non-poisonous", and they strongly imply that other breeders are selling dangerously poison frogs. Wild frogs are poison because of their "wild" diet. Some wild caught frogs retain some toxicity for a while, but the vast majority of frogs available are captive bred and any frog on a captive diet cannot sequester enough alkaloids to create appreciable toxins. By that measure, almost all dart frogs are safe.

2)They muddy the language in any conversation about pathogens. They will claim that their collection is pathogen/chytrid/parasite free because they are trademarked SAFE (wait, didn't that mean non toxic?). When asked if they do any testing they say they don't have to because their animals are guaranteed 100% healthy. No testing + rampant crossbreeding, thus encouraging novel pathogens = 100% healthy.

3) They claim to be the only ones who offer a live arrival guarantee. Every reputable breeder offers that. It is literally the minimum you must do to be considered a legitimate breeder.

4) They claim to be shipping experts that can ship in any weather. Again, safe, responsible, legal shipping is the minimum any legitimate breeder can offer.

5) They claim that their crossbreeding will put less stress on wild imports, when it historically has CLEARLY shown to put more stress on wild imports by weakening confidence in the validity of current hobby strains.

6) They've given really bad husbandry advice to newbies in an effort to sell more frogs, i.e. mixing and overcrowding.

7) They've done their best to demonize methylparaben (additive used in many fruit fly culture recipes). All the available science shows it is harmless in the quantities it's used in, but they've launched a smear campaign on it's use to cast a shadow over other breeders and distract from the actual health concerns that Designerfrogs risks.

8) They claim that their frogs are much, much larger than other breeders frogs of the same age and sex-able earlier. I'm really oversimplifying here but basically the factors contributing to growth are genetics, feeding, absence of stress, absence of toxins. They purchased their founding stock from other hobbyists...same genetics. They feed every other day...not powerfeeding. They overcrowd frogs...contributes to stress. They don't use methylparaben...many breeders do, many do not, the science says it makes no difference. I don't have any evidence that their frogs are any larger or smaller as it's an unprovable claim, but it would be very easy to just shave a couple months off the frogs age and voila, you have the largest frogs for their age...not much of a claim.

9) They anthropomorphize the frogs to a ridiculous extent. It's one thing to advertise happy healthy frogs, it's quite another to claim that the frogs you breed enjoy human company, look forward to interactions with the owners, are happier if they are purchased and kept with the other BFF frogs they've been raised with, and are guaranteed to never have territorial conflicts with the BFF frogs they've been purchased with. These were all actual claims.

10) Things got real creepy when the owner got tired of the online criticism and started threatening law suits, tracing IP addresses and asking for personal information in an attempt to intimidate and stop the comments/observations. He's backed off recently because he kind of went to far and published something on his website that could be construed as harassment.

11) They've renamed species of frogs in a direct attempt to muddy the waters. It's an attempt to de-legitimize known lines of frogs, and legitimize artificially created lines of frogs. They claim it's to differentiate their frogs from other breeders, but it's the really a misinformation campaign to put crossbreeds on an even playing field.

This is literally a sampling of just some of the issues many of us have had with Designerfrogs. Almost any of the above points is designed to fool a buyer before he gets a chance to become a little more informed. I could keep going, but this post is probably too long for anyone to read as is. The bottom line is that Designerfrogs has invested a ton of money into a venture which most hobbyists recognize as bad for the hobby. Instead of backing up and correcting the major issues, they've doubled down and thrown up smokescreens. They proven themselves dishonest and have 7000 frogs of questionable heritage that they need to get rid of. They've already stated that they do not recognize natural occurring variations as legitimate, so maybe the original poster got pure azureus, and maybe he didn't. If they're claiming they are pure, then they probably are...but you can see that there may be pressures for them not to be honest about a designation that they have publicly said they don't respect anyway. Even if you don't disagree with the production of crossbreeds, they way they've gone about it is deceptive and sleazy.

...and while I don't have any adult azureus pairs now, I sold my last two pairs for $150/pair plus shipping. For common frogs like azureus, that's not atypical.
    Is the how you PM

TAPDart91

Somebody care to explain how you PM on this websight when i go to messages it says error connecting to server

Nationality
    [United States]

Left click the name of the person you want to PM from their forum post. Private Message is one of the options.

Nationality
    [United States]

Just checking back in on this thread and I noticed that this company has now changed their name (again). Wonder if it had anything to do with the bad publicity they've been getting lately.

They are now known as "USAfrog" instead of "designerfrog" or whatever it was.

Nationality
    [United States]

Good luck. I just started this hobby and I find there is sometimes so much info it's hard to know what is true and what is not.
    Last edited by Carisab; July 19th, 2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Edit

Quote Originally Posted by Carisab View Post
    Good luck. I just started this hobby and I find there is sometimes so much info it's hard to know what is true and what is not.
    It is confusing. There is so much conflicting info out there.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't know that they are changing their name as much as they are registering several domain names and pointing them all to the same site. I can respect people trying to start a business, but sometimes there are shining examples of what not to do.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Quote Originally Posted by clayton1089 View Post
    Well im wanting to get a sexed pair or proven pair of Azureus without paying the almost $300 which is why I was attracted to DF. I live in Washington state and there isnt very many shows around here or reptile shops. I mean I want to get good frogs but I kinda have a budget as well.

Do the hobby a favor and stay away from these people. They blatantly admit to creating hybrids.

You say you are in WA state. Over on DB there is a experienced dart frogger named thedude who lives in WA. Sign up on there and send him a PM and ask him to give you some names of people in your state that raise and breed Azureus. There are a huge amount of dart frog breeders in your state. I'm sure he can give you the names of some reputable people. Unfortunately, I believe he only raises mostly thumbs, Pumilios and Variabilis.

Nationality
    [United States]

Great !...... I get to be the "bad guy "
    These can be valuable threads.
    However, this is a difficult thread to moderate and maintain because of its nature to become de-railed.
    We are all passionate about this topic and have information and opinions based on what we feel, hear, read and have experienced personally.

I understand this thread started over a week ago.
    I believe I replied with in it myself (#12) .
    I understand that Clayton asked a simple question.

Please remain objective.
    Please...Lets keep any factual criticisms where they are suppose to be of which is in the "Testimonials" area > based on personal experience , good, bad or otherwise.

Opinions....need to be stated as such. As mentioned, please use a PM

Thanks
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"