Thread: i want an african clawed

100+ Post Member
    Member needs to set country!

Default i want an african clawed

i am gonna get a 20 gallon long i hope and i want two an albino and a normal one but if i can only have one i want the albino i do know a lot about there smaller cousins the dwarfs i have a lot of them but i want something bigger so what do i need for them and don't hesitate to say something because i want to know all i can learn for them so have a nice day

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member

Default Re: i want an african clawed

huh, it seems like these are not a popular topic i guess

Nationality
    [United States]

Have your read the Frog Forum ACF Care Sheet yet? Also I would recommend reading the WebWebMedia article on keeping aquatic frogs.

Overall these frogs are very easy to keep. This is a quick summary on what you need to keep ACF..

I myself have 4 in a 40 gallon gallon breeder, so 10 gallon per frog -- minimum. I would get the best filter you can afford, these are very messy animals. The water needs to be kept at room temperature, so 68F-72F (20C-22C).

For substrate avoid gravel or large pebbles. Gravel can be ingested and cause impaction, pebbles IMO are disgusting because trapped food and feces collects under it, so water quality is harder to maintain. My suggestion would be a fine grade smooth aquarium sand, I like CaribSea Moonlight sand. Though unattractive, a bare bottom tank works very well, and is easy to keep clean.

Do 25% partial water changes weekly, treat tap water with a conditioner such as Seachem Prime to remove chlorine/chloramines. You'll want to keep the water free of ammonia/nitrite and under 20ppm in nitrate to avoid disease and death of ACF (just like fish). You must cycle your tank before adding frogs, read on aquarium cycling here.

Diet is quite simple, a high quality pellet for aquatic frogs (though not high quality, reptomin is fed by many keepers) and/or nightcrawlers (earthworms). Fresh raw tilapia, crickets, frozen fish foods of the meat variety can be fed as treats. Feed adults 2-3 times a week, feed juveniles daily, remove all uneaten food.

Last but not least you absolutely need a tight fitting lid with NO gaps because these frogs WILL escape the tank and they will die if not found quickly, they cannot survive out of water for long and will dehydrate and die if you cannot locate them and place them back in water. Do allow enough of a gap between the water line and the lid to breath, 3-4 inches suffices.

That is my quick run down, I would read those two articles, they cover the basics. ACF are basically kept like fish.

100+ Post Member

thanks bro book marked

Thread Information