Thread: Urgent Advice Please - Grey Tree Frog has Hurt Himself!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Urgent Advice Please - Grey Tree Frog has Hurt Himself!

Hi,
    i am desperately looking for advice how to help one of my young frogs who has managed to damaged (looks like a graze or he has bashed it) the very tip of his nose.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  77.6 KB

I am sorry it isnt a very good pic but you can just see the pink tip! Is there anything I can do or does he need the vet our big problem is the only exotic vet is in the next town a very long and expensive taxi ride away I am unable to get there today but it may be possible tomorrow is there anything I can do to ease his pain in the meantime?? I have already lost two cats this month I really don't need to start loosing frogs too!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Urgent Advice Please - Grey Tree Frog has Hurt Himself!

Hi Jay! I'm sorry for your frog's hurting itself . First thing I would do is to look for any sharp decor in enclosure and remove it. Has this frog been moved to tank recently?

You can carefully apply a non-analgesic antibiotic like plain Neosporin, Bactrin, or silver based one. Can use a q-tip and lightly apply to pink area (maybe while frog sleeps) without getting it on nostril holes. That should prevent an infection and help wound heal. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Oh thank you I have only recently moved them back into their normal viv after some necessary repair work they have all been very enthusiastic in checking it out I do not know of anything sharp I am always very fussy about that but I will look again my other half said he saw one of the frogs jump across the tank miss his footing and tumble to the bottom of course I have no way of knowing if it was this one! I have been trying to get hold of our Vet but she is out of the surgery until later and unfortunately I have to go out! I have found an antibiotic which was previously prescribed and wanted to know if I could use it previously we had sprayed the frogs but I think the Qtip idea is much better I was worried about spraying his face so I wont do that again I will do as you suggest hopefully my Vet will get back to me and confirm how often I should apply this. I hope I haven't done any damage spraying him Well thanks again fingers crossed he will be ok! Jay

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Could his "enthusiastic exploring" be stress and an attempt to escape? That's usually the cause of a nose rub. Are your temps and humidity stable since moving them back into the viv?

It's hard to tell the severity of the nose rub from the pic, but both my red eyes had nose rubs when I received them (from trying to escape their shipping cups) and they were minor enough that leaving them alone was the best option. Today is 13 days since I got them and they've healed significantly on their own.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

It is good to hear that your frogs are healing I have my fingers crossed. I think you could be right about the stress I might find it good news to finally sort their waterfall so it works properly but to them all the changes are just stressful! They are now settled back in their normal surroundings so I hope the stress levels will be coming down. I also think that it is quite probable that the humidity hasnt been all it should be I often find new tanks seem to eat the moisture and I hadnt compensated for this so it is quite probable the levels have been fluctuating I will keep a closer watch on it and if necessary up the timings for the fogger!
    Regarding the nose rub, I dont have any experience of this but I think the nose rub is fairley minor. I have now spoken to my vet who indicated from my discription that antibiotic treatment could be benificial, although as she hasnt seen the frog she isnt allowed to tell me to use it! So I will keep a close eye on him, I dont want to move him to a hospital tank as that would involve more stress! I do hope yours will soon be fully well regards Jay

Thread Information