Thread: GREAT NEWS and not so great news in need of some advice

Danielle01

Default GREAT NEWS and not so great news in need of some advice

Hey Everybody,

Recently I posted a question about whether or not Chubbs is a male or female and heard him croak sunday night and last night. Happy to say I have a male. Well last week I went to a reptile/pet store in town n country in Tampa, Florida to buy some hydro balls made by zoo med. Changed chubbs tank yesterday and hopefully that will help with the humidity anyways while I was there I asked to see if they had any pacman frogs just because I was curious and they did a baby albino pacman frog. Unfortunately I saw that it was in a hostile environment as it was in a mini critter carrier which a little more than half was filled with water and some small fish were in there as well as the baby pacman frog was laying on top of stacked flat rocks. I felt really concerned because for one i know that they are very poor swimmers and I fear the rocks may topple and he or she will drown and I was thinking of buying the baby albino pacman frog to save him or her from possible death but what I was thinking of doind is buying a medium critter cage and putting it in my twenty long gallon tank just dont want aggression arising from my bigger pacman frog chubbs hoping he ignores the cage inside his cage or should i just make room on the table I have his tank on. But I was wondering if I should get him or not as I would like another frog just want to make sure I have room for him or her. Any advice?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

katon

Default GREAT NEWS and not so great news in need of some advice

You could buy the little guy but the pet store would probably do the same thing to the next pacman that they get. The best thing I feel to do is to tell the pet store what they are doing wrong and what it is they can do to improve the tank they are keeping the pacman in. I know it sucks seeing one in such a way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: GREAT NEWS and not so great news in need of some advice

Why do you need hydroballs for Chubbs tank? What are you doing with them?

As for the little one, it is up to you. Yeah you should not support poor businesses by buying from them..... In theory.... In reality i would probably go home with him lol or at least had a speech to their manager, or i'd do both

But if you end up getting him just to put KK inside your tank is not good, both frogs should not see each other. The other thing to consider - your new one should be under quarantine conditions, fecal done for both frogs if you havent done for chubs yet.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have been tempted to buy frogs in poor condition also. Except that I will be giving business to a company that will, in turn, buy another frog or two to keep in the same conditions. Instead, I make them aware that I will never purchase any type of animal from them so long as they aren't cared for properly. I do not want to pay for an animal to have it die a week later because of the pet store. I have gone as far as sending management care sheets along with pictures of their tanks pointing out what they're doing wrong.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Danielle01

Yeah I agree with you all. Just feel really bad for him and I got the hydro ball to help with humidity which is working pretty well. Definitely if anybody is having a humidity issue meaning low get hydro balls and put screen over them bought the screen at Home Depot and I'm considering buying the little guy or gal as I love saving animals because that is what I did with Chubbs in a way he wasn't in bad living conditions it just because nobody wanted him and I felt bad for him and now he is happily living in a twenty long gallon tank but for the other baby pacman I do want him not only to save him but because I have alway wanted an albino just want to make sure I can take care of two pacman and need to make sure once the baby is big enough if I have room for two tanks if the albino is a boy I will get a ten if it's a female I will do twenty just need to make sure I have the room for him otherwise I will buy him and find somebody who knows how to care for the little one

Nationality
    [United States]

Other than telling them about the conditions, there's really nothing you can do to change it...

It's up to you, but you can't save all of them. If you get that one, you'll probably see another one in the same conditions in about a week. You can try to keep up with local reptile rescues. That way you know that the space you freed up by adopting one will go to another animal that really needs it.
    Also, it's usually well-hidden, but most Petco/Petsmart have an adoption board for their sick or aggressive exotics that they can't sell. They're free, so the company doesn't profit from it. That's how I got my python (biting a couple petstore employees was probably the luckiest thing she's ever done). Be careful though; I've seen several frogs with severe and possibly contagious issues put up on those. Like someone already mentioned, be sure to quarantine whenever you bring in a new one.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Danielle01

Hmm decisions..... Well it's a hard choice because I do know that one will just take it's place I just feel bad that I left it there. Well I may take him or her or find somebody else who would like to rescue the pacman. Thanks for all of the advice and yes I just have to see if I have the space for another even though it's pretty small still have to see.

Thread Information