Thread: Pre-killed feeding?

Default Pre-killed feeding?

I see videos of people feeding their frogs/toads prekilled insects and stuff of the sort by putting them in another tank that is bare, using a straw to move t he item.

Is it possible to get a frog to eat like this? What is the best way to get a frog or toad to eat those type of foods? If even possible.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Pre-killed feeding?

I use tweezers when feeding mealworms to my Gray Treefrogs, to ensure the worms are eaten and don't end up burrowing to later rot and die. They will now eat whatever is hanging from the end of the tweezers, and I will feed crickets I've accidentally squished to them this way (usually they are left to hunt crickets, but no need to let a good cricket go to waste).

I imagine using a piece of straw would be similar, you could start by jabbing mealworms or something else that will still writhe around for a bit until they start to associate the end of the moving straw as prey.

crhoads18

I give my pac-man the rare pinky (frozen/thawed as I have them on hand for our Western Hognose) and he eats off of feeding tongs just fine. Yes, I do sometimes have to wiggle the prey but only for a second before he snaps it up.

When I have to tong feed some other frogs with roaches, I put the tongs to the side and move the roach as if it were crawling away. They almost always go for it.

StephenLS

All well and good guys - but I have about 40 mouths to feed

Afraid I'll be sticking to my current free for all method and coping with the escapees!

crhoads18

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I do not tong feed all of my frogs. I thought the he was just asking if he had to feed pre-killed food for a specific frog, could it be done. Most of my frogs are eating D. hydei right now, so it is up to them to catch and eat. Unfortunately, yes, there are some escapees.

Well I know budgett's frogs will take commercially made foods.
    What about toads? will they take dead worms?

missclick

straws are like the most universal tool for me. i cut the ends off so they are pointy and use them to scrape frog poo off of my plants/walls of tanks, i use clear ones to herd crickets into my chubby frog's waiting mouth, and i have some taped in corners of my baby milk frog's tank as little froggy sitting areas(they are really small frogs). very useful things.

i use tongs to feed crickets that i accidentally squished, but most of the time if i drop something in front of my chubby it doesn't matter if its alive or dead she will try to eat it.

Im trying to find frogs that are eager-eaters. That wont mind where the food comes from, what it is, or where its on.

Someone sh ould post a video on how to get a frog to eat dead food, and prepared foods. That'd be easier than feeding live foods. Because its a pain to find crawling insects all over my room. I just found one on my face while I was sleeping. Damn little thing bit me.

crhoads18

What kind of frog are you currently trying to feed and what type of feeder are you using? Also, are the insects getting out of the frog enclosure or the enclosure that you keep your feeders in? The feeders that I use are Dubia, B. lateralis, D. hydei, and D. melanogaster. The only problem that I have with feeders escaping are the fruit flies. (That's mostly my fault because I had 4 viles with cultures from when I went on vacation and I left them in a ventilated Rubbermaid tub where they reproduced and escaped through the holes. )

Quote Originally Posted by crhoads18 View Post
    What kind of frog are you currently trying to feed and what type of feeder are you using? Also, are the insects getting out of the frog enclosure or the enclosure that you keep your feeders in? The feeders that I use are Dubia, B. lateralis, D. hydei, and D. melanogaster. The only problem that I have with feeders escaping are the fruit flies. (That's mostly my fault because I had 4 viles with cultures from when I went on vacation and I left them in a ventilated Rubbermaid tub where they reproduced and escaped through the holes. )
    Currently a cane toad. She eats some but not all. Also I was going to get another frog, but they just want me to quit buying live foods. Because they found crickets in a place they did not want to find it. xDDD

Kurt

Cane toads are known to eat dog food and some vegetation. My fire skink will eat anything, thawed pinkies, live crickets & superworms, cat food, Repto-min, and so on.

missclick

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post

Someone sh ould post a video on how to get a frog to eat dead food, and prepared foods. That'd be easier than feeding live foods. Because its a pain to find crawling insects all over my room. I just found one on my face while I was sleeping. Damn little thing bit me.
    there are lots of videos on youtube of people feeding their frogs i have seen some of people feeding thawed pinkies and such.

Funny thing is, I offered her a dish of pellets. She never went for them. xD Yeah shes an ingrate. Lol she only goes for worms. Shes very picky for some odd reason.

Thread Information