Thread: A few Leopard Frog questions, tank and frog

Lovino

Smile A few Leopard Frog questions, tank and frog

Ok, so recently I was given a new tank from a friendly user on here. After cleaning the tank and filter he gave me I placed my leopard frog in it. Its like a 60-70% land to 40-30% water, it has a divider, after filling, I didnt count but it holds a couple gallons of water. I filled it with treated water, and moist coconut husk soil.

When first placing her in there I was alarmed that she might not be relieving herself because I couldnt find any waste on the dirt. SoI gave her belly a rub, and I didn't find any hard spots on either left or her right side, and when I cleaned the water portion I found some waste(i think). She is still eating, swimming, and mostly hiding in dirt holes. As I said I dont feel lumps, I give a once over every few days, and she looks healthy, but she looks fatter than normal. I have had suspicions that she was a juvenile when I got her, but I wasnt sure of her age, I thought she could be a full grown male too.

With that said, she has been hiding much more in this new tank, and when I went to clean the soil side, I coudnt find any waste. I feed here three crickets every other day, according to what the petstore told me, BUT i didnt get her from the petstore. For 2 feeding I give her calcium crickets, then the third feeding I give her vitamins plus D3 crickets, and repeat.

Please tell me if anything in my routine is wrong, a figured it out from advice received from different people. I think I have been doing well, but It occurred to me I maybe doing something wrong since im new to this....

So I got a few questions, I should have asked earlier, but I didn't. As you may know her old tank mate has been ill, and quarantined, and I want to prevent this from happening again. here they are:

1. How often should I clean the tank? How exactly should I do that? I have been using a siphon a pooper scooper.(picture provided, 20 gallon long)
    2.Does she look healthy? Is she bloated/or fat?(Picture provided)

3. Can you tell me if she is a she? and if shes a juvenile?(a little lame I know)(shes about 2 inches-2 1/2 inches)

4.When I look at her/examine her, I look to see if theres red legs, discoloration, clouded eyes, and if theres in hard lumps. Is there anything else I should do?

also I forgot to add I mist her tank often with distilled water.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lovino

Default Re: A few Leopard Frog questions, tank and frog

Name:  IMG_3824.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  99.5 KBName:  IMG_3826.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  117.4 KBName:  IMG_3827.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  105.5 KBName:  IMG_3830.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  118.4 KBName:  IMG_3832.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  98.4 KBName:  IMG_3828.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  134.1 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The first and most important recommendation is to reduce the frog handling to the absolute necessary when cleaning or transferring frogs. Leopards are shy animals and will be easily stressed, which can lead to disease. Those constant "examinations" can do more harm than good .

If the waterfall filter is running and cycled; you probably need to do a weekly 25% water change. Clean the filter media in the water you remove during water change; not in tap water that will kill the good bacteria. Frog looks healthy, can also try to feed not dyed night crawlers from Walmart or local bait shop. More info on leopards in here: Frog Forum - Leopard Frog Care - Rana pipiens (Schreber, 1782) and R. sphenocephala (1886); good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Everything looks great,
    I am glad it is providing a good home instead of collecting dust.
    keeping us up to date with photos is all the thanks I need.

Thread Information