Thread: American Green Tree Frog Terrarium Set Up

Nicknac44

Smile American Green Tree Frog Terrarium Set Up

Hello everyone!

I have just recently joined this forum, and this is my first post! Huzzah! I am very excited to be here and learn all I can. I am very new to the hobby, and recently adopted an American green tree frog (or at least that is what I am told it is). I have done some research and recently made a trip to the pet store and tried to set up a terrarium for the little guy/girl. However, I have a few questions that I can get some help with here.

1. Attached are some pictures of what I came up with.

There is a bottom layer of aquarium gravel (for drainage), a layer of ecoearth coconut fiber about 1 1/2 - 2 inches deep where the plants roots are, and a layer of reptile moss I picked up at my local pet store.

The lighting is an Marineland Aquatic Plant LED lighting fixture. (I believe it is an older model mine doesn't have the timers and dimmers), but it is much like this one: Marineland Aquatic Plant LED Lighting System w/Timer: LED Aquarium Light Fixtures ).

I think the plants will be fine, but is this LED too bright for him/her? I know this light will do wonders for plant growth so I would really like to use it, but I cannot find any mention of LEDs on Green Tree frogs.

2. Seems a bit skinny. I have been feeding him/her gut loaded crickets, 2-4 crickets every 2-3 days. Is that a good feeding regimen and what could I supplement to help him/her gain some needed weight.

I read that temperature and humidity plays a role in body weight. Currently that tank is kept at around 78 during the day and around 75 at night (my ambient house temperature), and the humidity is never below 75. I mist every morning with de-chlorinated water and always have a small bowl of fresh water for him/her. Ideas?

3. Thank you so much if you have made it this far. As you can probably tell I am very new to the hobby and just want the best for my little friend.

Name:  F 1.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  72.3 KBName:  F 3.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  80.7 KBName:  F 2.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  85.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: American Green Tree Frog Terrarium Set Up

Welcome! You have a good start and a nice looking american green tree frog there. The LED is fine for your frog and will make your plants happy. Your frog doesn't look too skinny judging by that picture, make sure you're dusting with calcium and vitamins in addition to gutloading so that your frog is getting the nutrients it needs.

How big is the tank?

That is a lot of moss in there, I'd be concerned about your frog getting a big mouthful of it. I would consider bowl feeding, that way the crickets cannot hide in the moss and your frog will not eat the moss by accident.

Make sure to get a lot of branches in there, make it like a "tree." Your frog is a tree frog after all, and want's to dwell in the vertical space.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nicknac44

It is just a standard 10 gallon aquarium with a mesh lid. I added the moss because I didn't like how much the ecoearth was sticking to him/her. If it is unnecessary I would be happy to remove it or take some out, I just think it looks cool.

So this may be a very basic question, but how does bowl feeding work with live crickets?

Thank you so much for the speedy response!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You could keep some in, that's just a lot. Really, once you add branches in there, your frog will spend little to no time on the floor. With the bowl feeding, I put a 2 cup glass bowl in the tank (one cup bowl would probably work for a smaller tank and less crickets, I feed about 12 crickets at a time and have multiple frogs) and just drop the crickets in there. Surprisingly, they cannot hop out and just run in circles inside it. The frogs sit on the edge of the bowl and dive in and grab one.

Here is a good thread explaining the different methods and things to keep in mind - http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...eder-bowl.html

Nicknac44

Great! I will go out and get a little glass bowl and try it out this evening. Thanks for the tip.

The more I read about moss the less I seem to like it, so it will probably be removed.

Any suggestions on what he/she would prefer on brach selection? I only have a Petco nearby so my available options are very limited. I thought about buying some of Exo-terra jungle vine. Any good?

Again, thank you so much for your tips and suggestions!

Default American Green Tree Frog Terrarium Set Up

Most woods from petco will work, with the exception of grape vine. That one is a no-no. It rots very quickly. You can actually leave the moss if you put a nice layer of leaf litter over it.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You're welcome! I'm happy to help. Personally, I love the exoterra jungle vine and have some in both of my tanks. You have to make sure it's stable and sturdy where you place it though, if your frog jumps on it and doesn't feel comfortable with the stability, they won't use it. You can get branches from your yard, I have oak branches in both of my tanks but maple and birch will work also. I scrub the branches and then bake them at 250*F for a half hour. You could also collect and wash live moss from outside (preferably in an area where pesticides and fertilizers are not used) to put in the bottom of the tank and help cover some of the coco fiber. My substrate is always covered in leaf litter (oak leaves that I collect and bake at 250 for a half hour with the branches, you can buy some leaf litter online also) and live mosses.

Honestly though, it's very rare that one of my frogs touch the bottom of the tank. They stay high in the branches.

Nicknac44

Perfect! I will be sure to keep those tips in mind.

I'll be heading back to the pet store today, so ill try and post some new pictures when I get everything situated... I'm not addicted I swear!

Thank you both for your advice, my dear little green friend and I really appreciate it!

bushmaster06

Quote Originally Posted by Nicknac44 View Post
    Great! I will go out and get a little glass bowl and try it out this evening. Thanks for the tip.

The more I read about moss the less I seem to like it, so it will probably be removed.

Any suggestions on what he/she would prefer on brach selection? I only have a Petco nearby so my available options are very limited. I thought about buying some of Exo-terra jungle vine. Any good?

Again, thank you so much for your tips and suggestions!
    i use sycamore.

Thread Information