Thread: New to all this

Default New to all this

To be honest I am a lizard guy but my 9 year old is really into frogs and talked me into getting a pacman frog for him. We read through these forums and the care sheets were really helpful so thanks to everyone involved in those.

That said we picked up his frog (Strike) today. We ended up going with the tank inside a tank to start. We have a small kritter keeper inside of the larger 10 gallon tank. We used the coconut fiber eco earth I have from my planted gecko enclosures and wet it down with dechlorinated tap water. Strike seemed to be really jittery so we added some fake plants we had around his inside tank to help him feel a bit more secure.

Right now we don't have any added heat on him as I wanted to see what the normal room temp would end up being. We did however pick up a 40 watt blue night time lamp for added heat should we determine it is needed. For now we have a cheap plastic thermometer in there as a visual baseline. I plan on ordering a better one but in the mean time I use the laser infrared thermometer that I use for my lizard tanks to get a more accurate reading. Right now he is sitting at about 78 degrees. With the tank having just been set up the humidity settled in at around 70%.

We have not attempted to feed him yet as we wanted to give him time to settle in tonight before doing so. We have a colony of dubia roaches that we feed our beardies and geckos off of so we have plenty of very small nymphs to feed him. I assume this is ok? If not we can always pick up crickets instead.

At this point do you guys see anything that we are doing wrong or have missed entirely?

Thanks in advance!

Name:  IMG_5048.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  170.2 KBName:  IMG_5050.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  112.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DesertHeat

Dubias will be perfectly ok.

78 for a daytime temp is low, aim for 80 to 82.

To help with the jitteryness you can cover two more sides of the 10 gal to help him feel more secure.

Welcome to the world of pacs!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New to all this

Looks awesome! That is how i got into tarantulas, my 8 y old wanted as a first pet, tried to offed hamster instead but didnt happen lol what geckos do you have?

For feeding, i would ask what sellers feed him before just in case. Crickets do have better feeding response, cos they move better, but they are annoying and not nutritious, just make sure you supplement whatever you're feeding
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Looks awesome! That is how i got into tarantulas, my 8 y old wanted as a first pet, tried to offed hamster instead but didnt happen lol what geckos do you have?

For feeding, i would ask what sellers feed him before just in case. Crickets do have better feeding response, cos they move better, but they are annoying and not nutritious, just make sure you supplement whatever you're feeding
    We are about 6 weeks into this and it has gone pretty well so far. We started with crickets as they are dumb enough to walk directly in front of him but wanted to get him used to the roach nymphs as that would be his staple. He has been eating 3 to 4 small nymphs every other night. We end up having to tong feed the roaches as they are much smarter than the crickets and will head for cover as soon as they hit the substrate. We did try pieces of earth worm but he wanted nothing to do with them.

We ended up moving him out of the smaller enclosure about 2 weeks ago and he has adjusted nicely. It was nice to see him self regulate his heat. We are using a 50 watt infrared bulb as our heat and we will sometimes find him directly under and other times he moves to the shade on the other side.

The only issue we have had has been the dreaded poop problem. In the six weeks we have had him we have verified 3 different times he has pooped. We don't know if there have been more and they are just buried or if he isn't going more. We check each 'hole' he leaves behind as moves about but are unsure. We are going to give him a bath this week and see what happens.

The only question I have at this point is how often are people replacing their substrate?

Thanks!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Ideally substrate should be changed monthly, but the waste every day, however some people may wait to once a week. The poop issue, its normal for PACs to not poop from or long times mine rarely goes, also I've found that mine burrys his poop like a cat in a litter box. Water should be changed every day or two just letting you know that. The humidity up? Its should hover around 80%

Hope this helps
    Dan

Thread Information