Thread: New to everything

Danielle01

Default New to everything

Hey everybody well my name is Danielle and I'm am new to owning a pacman frog and to this site as well. I just got my pacman frog today and have some concerns as well. My pacman frog is probably a year old not fully grown yet. I put him in a twenty long glass tank. I used Eco earth and put in some fake plants and two small water dishes and misted it a few times today. First problem is the humidity as it stays around eighty after I must and then a little later goes down to thirty or so. Also he hasn't eaten as much as I usually see him eat tried to feed him superworms with the heads squished of course. I have seen him eat crickets before and he usually eats them all at once but it's probably because he is going from a small critter carrier to a twenty long gallon tank so more space and maybe due to the move. I did see him eat one superworm so would like to see him want to eat more and he has chirped a few times. Right now he is submerged in the Eco earth only can see his two eyes. I hope he starts to eat more and will try night crawlers if those work better. Looking forward to everyone's advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A Kap

Default Re: New to everything

Hey Danielle! I dont actually have a pacman yet. I am getting one- but I do own other animals and I think I have a few tips regarding the humidity that may help. First of all what type of lid are you using (if you are using one)? Typically people use the wire mesh lids that will often come with tanks. I will usually put a wash cloth over the top of these lids and will leave some of the lid uncovered which will allow air to still flow through the tank. This will usually keep the temp and humidity at a stable level until you may need to spray the tank again. You can choose whether or not to soak the cloths If you wish. The eco earth and water dish should be enough to help keep humidity at the proper level. I guess if you really wanted to you could get an automatic mister that will self regulate a set humidity in the tank. But those can be pricey. Hopefully the experts on here will correct me if im wrong about anything. Anyway good luck! Best wishes to you and your pacman!

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum!

You can ducktape foil to the screen top and then cut out hole for the lamp. That should keep humidity more stable, also make sure you have digital gauges with a probe in a dead centre of back wall about 2" above the substrate.

You need to play around to see what works or just get a controller.

I very strongly suggest to forget about superworms, they are not as bad as mealworms, one here and there wont hurt an adult frog, but are high in chitin ( impaction risk) and fat. You better stick to a diet of nightcrawlers and dubia with occasional mice( no more then once a month), hornworms, etc. make sure you supplement with multivitamins ( once a week) and about every other feeding ca/vitd3.

Have you covered 3 sides of your enclosure? If not you should, it will help him feel safe=eating. If he used to eat crickets you should offer them first and once he is eating try to move to the other things.

Do you use treated water? What are your temp! Do you have pics?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Danielle01

thanks does anybody know how to post pics and yeah he doesn't seem to like superworms . Does anybody know if I should buy the night crawlers from Walmart or should I just suck it up and buy them from PetSmart

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle01 View Post
    thanks does anybody know how to post pics and yeah he doesn't seem to like superworms . Does anybody know if I should buy the night crawlers from Walmart or should I just suck it up and buy them from PetSmart
    You can buy from Wal-Mart, but be sure to check them first. One dead worm ruins the whole container.

You can post pics by selecting the picture frame icon in the toolbar above the text field. Click on that icon.

Thread Information