Thread: Cuban tree frog runny stool, not eating, losing weight another one open mouth all the time

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Cuban tree frog runny stool, not eating, losing weight another one open mouth all the time

Hi,
    I have three 5" cuban tree frogs as pets. All are wild caught because of dire circumstances for them.
    I have two frogs in one terrarium together exoterra 18x24 tall. Temp and hum are fine.
    One named Billy has runny diarrhea, losing weight fast, not eating that I am aware of
    The other named Hanny passed firm bloody stool in bath two months ago. He ate a few crickets out of my hand last night, so I know he is eating what I give him. Have not seen bloody stool or hardly any stools lately. I clean the branch today and did find one hard stool on top and runny stool on paper towels this morning.

I purchased and have dosed fenbendazole 3 days in a row, waited ten days and did it again and now it has been a week and both look poor and one has runny stool.
    I have been sterilizing the tank almost daily, placing all their stuff in extreme hot water and spraying with colloidal silver, changing paper towels and water daily or sooner if someone poops.
    I bought some flagyl, I have one 250mg capsule filled with powder. I need help with how much to give them. I have been researching the internet for days and cannot find any dosage that makes me feel comfortable.
    The last one said put half the pill with 1/2 gallon of water another said to bathe them in it and then a vet pdf guide said it could slough their skin off if placed on their back. There are no frog vets here, I'm in Florida. Cubans are not friends to many here. I need help on how much to give, I do not want to chance overdosing.

The other frog is in the same set up by himself, he has been opening his mouth for days now. I have to hand feed him, and place him into his bath daily. He has broken arm and bad back and cannot climb due to outdoor injury. I heard him screaming outside and that is how he become my pet. He was hobbling around quite nice for the past year and now all of a sudden he is jaw dropping. He hasn't been passing many stools lately and when he does they are real tiny and hard. I also wormed him with Flagyl. I have been dusting all his crickets this week with calcium d3 powder, normally I only do this 1-2 times a month. I read that jaw dropping could be not enough vitd.

Any advice would be much appreciate. Thank you!
    Wendy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Cuban tree frog runny stool, not eating, losing weight another one open mouth all the time

Please some one help Billy, Billy doesn't look good. I waited 5 days to get the medicine and have been researching since then. I just need to know how many drops to put on his back.

He weighs 85 grams. I need to know how many drops of water to mix the 250 grams with and then how many drops to place on his back? Please someone

The frog that is in the aquarium by himself, just pooped normal and I found shed on the paper towel. I think with his broke arm he have trouble shedding lately, he appears fine now, that is him in the photo. Just need help on proper dosage of Metronidazole

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Cuban tree frog runny stool, not eating, losing weight another one open mouth all the time

Do you have any vet around you? Can you take his poop for fecal exam? You may say it is a tree frog without specifying it is cuban
    See the danger of self medicating is that you will try all kind of stuff that wont work, this way you lower frogs immune system, and it can end badly.
    You can contact dr. frye, i believe he has no problems with a species.

Runny poop is a sign of protozoa infection, but it could be anything else or protozoa and smth else, so you have to know what are you treating for first.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

No vets for Cuban frogs here. You can't hide a cuban tree frog in Florida as they are an invasive species, they only tell you how to kill them. I put him in a hospital tank and moved him to my bedroom around midnight lastnight. He ate!!! He ate 7 dusted crickets. I think his tank mate was being dominate, he was spraying like a male cat sprays and it stunk real bad and hopped on top of Billy (They are both males). I am buying him his own terrarium tomorrow and am going to deworm with pancure again in 10 days. I am not using the other medications. Like you said you cannot treat something unless you know what you are treating. I do know they had worms from the diarrhea and pancure is safe if dosed properly. Until I get accurate dosage and know it is necessary I am not doing anything with the other medications. I bought the medications after reading the what to have on hand medical kit on this forum. Thank you for responding, I sure appreciate it. I am waiting another hour to feed and praying Billy eats again tonight. No poop from him so far today. I could see his backbones last night and it just made me cry and after seeing him eat I was just filled with joy. My baby may be okay.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Panacur dose is 25mg/kg given as a single dose for 3 days in a row, repeated in 2 weeks and the next 2 weeks if needed. Fecal exam must be done before first dose, control test in 2 weeks, and in another 2 weeks if needed. All that time frog has to be in hospital set up with full disinfection every day.

There are severe side effects if dose is administered incorrectly, including death of a frog. Information above is for FYI only and cant be substituted with licensed vet advice.

On the other note i'm glad he is eating, he might be just fine, but if it is protozoa infection as i suspect, panacur wont do anything for it.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Panacur dose is 25mg/kg given as a single dose for 3 days in a row, repeated in 2 weeks and the next 2 weeks if needed. Fecal exam must be done before first dose, control test in 2 weeks, and in another 2 weeks if needed. All that time frog has to be in hospital set up with full disinfection every day.

There are severe side effects if dose is administered incorrectly, including death of a frog. Information above is for FYI only and cant be substituted with licensed vet advice.

On the other note i'm glad he is eating, he might be just fine, but if it is protozoa infection as i suspect, panacur wont do anything for it.
    Thank you! Everyone has firm poop now, no more diarrhea. Billy is still thin, he ate lastnight and a few this morning too. I worry also they have protozoa. I squished Hannys poop in a paper towel and saw little white things in it.
    Everyone is eating good now and getting used to their new surroundings. I ordered a 10/50 microscope and some zinc sulfate and going to do my own test, since no vets here will.
    The microscope I bought is usb and can share photos online. So maybe if I am lucky I can share my slides with Dr. online and see what they think and maybe they help with dosage.

Nationality
    [United States]

My husband is so tired of hearing about my frogs poop. He is going to think I am crazy when he sees me sharing slides of their poop online. hehe Just had to share for a giggle cus I sure need one after all this stress, these babies make me a worry wart.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Cuban tree frog runny stool, not eating, losing weight another one open mouth...

Hi wen, you can email Dr. Frye. He is a knowledgeable herp vet. His email is in my other phone which is out of battery at the moment, but you can call his office tomorrow for his email. He will want a photo if you can get one. You can send a stool sample for testing also. This will help with the treatment needed. His office number is (734) 439-2273. Dr. Frye will send the needed medications to you.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information