Thread: New pacman! First amphibian.

A3gilmore

Default New pacman! First amphibian.

Hey all! I got my first amphibian last night, a beautiful pacman
    1)Now I haven't completely measured (letting the little guy settle in) but it appears to to be about 3" SVL. I just did a little. Peek in and heard a very very faint sound. Upon listening closer it was almost a chirp? Now I know it's a bit small still be is my research correct in that that is a female noise?

2)specs of tank: aprox 78 F, aprox 88% humid. 10 gallon, touch less than 2" of Eco earth. Corner water bowl, silk aquarium plants (cleaned with piping hot water.)
    (Getting better gauge in two weeks)

3) shop only fed mice. I know that should truly be a max of 1/month due to fat content. Ill be feeding night crawlers & crickets dusted with vitamins 1/week and calcium every other feeding or so.

How am I doing? And is there any personal experience you can give that might add to my researched knowledge? Thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

katon

Might be the frogs feet on the bottom of the tank. My female does it all the time even when I have 3+ inches of Eco earth. Post some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New pacman! First amphibian.

Quote Originally Posted by A3gilmore View Post
    Hey all! I got my first amphibian last night, a beautiful pacman
    1)Now I haven't completely measured (letting the little guy settle in) but it appears to to be about 3" SVL. I just did a little. Peek in and heard a very very faint sound. Upon listening closer it was almost a chirp? Now I know it's a bit small still be is my research correct in that that is a female noise?

2)specs of tank: aprox 78 F, aprox 88% humid. 10 gallon, touch less than 2" of Eco earth. Corner water bowl, silk aquarium plants (cleaned with piping hot water.)
    (Getting better gauge in two weeks)

3) shop only fed mice. I know that should truly be a max of 1/month due to fat content. Ill be feeding night crawlers & crickets dusted with vitamins 1/week and calcium every other feeding or so.

How am I doing? And is there any personal experience you can give that might add to my researched knowledge? Thanks!!

Would love to see some pics and welcome to the forum, congrats on your frog!

1. At 3" you should see nuptial pads if frog has any.
    2. You gotta fix it, temp at night should be 76-78, day 80-82, humidity 70-80, never higher then 80, yours is way way too high. You may want to add some more exo earth. Do you have 3 sides of the enclosure covered?
    3. You got it right, be prepared though it might be tough to convince a guy that worms are food too, if he never got any. I would stick to nightcrawler diet for at least few months, s/he had enough mice already.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

A3gilmore

Ok I will define kitty work on fixing the temp and humidity! As for sex, when I go to get a weight and measurement I'll look for the pads. For the food, I know it's going to be tough but it's the best thing. One thing that might help is that the worms will move and f/t mice don't.

Picture below. (S)he dug down (not all the way... I've seen him/her completely covered.) and it's a bit sideways
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A3gilmore

So far I've herd what I believe to be "chirping" and the I went to try picking him/her up there was a bit of a complaint.... I touched the rear and got a croke/scream.... Who knows. I'm going to give him/her a bath and look for the pads. I'll post an update and a picture. I even picked up night crawlers, I'm going to offer and see if we're hungry.

EDIT: picture below.
    She is a she, there were no nuptial pads. And at aprox. 3" SVL a he should have some... Now I need a name. Also, does she look small to you guys? From what I understand of their overall size she seems a bit thin.
    I took the water bowl out to bring down humidity, as for heat I have a heat mat stuck to the side made for a 10 gallon (what she's in).... And it's still max 78 f... How do I raise the temp?
    Last edited by A3gilmore; June 21st, 2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Got a picture

A3gilmore

katon

Nice looking girl you have! My big female came from a big pet store and it took her about a week to adjust and calm down. High traffic from the stores kinda freaks them out. She was pissed when they took her out of her tank when I got her. She is super calm now even when I handle her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A3gilmore

I love her so much already!! I can't wait to get her eating and get the tank completely decorated

Nationality
    [Canada]

I dont see a picture it shows only blank square, do you guys see it?

for temps i suggest you get infrared lamp (50w) for day and uth for night ( 78 is perfect night temp), you gotta play around to get conditions right.... Or you can get hydrotherm lol i kinda feel zoomed should pay me honorarium or smth i keep advising everybody get it, but i really love that thing!

as for humidity, you need to measure it in a dead centre of a back wall about 2" above the substrate. Keep in mind analog gauges are well known for their inaccuracy, you should aim for digital. If your gauges are good you should just increase ventilation - what is on the top of the tank?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

A3gilmore

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  73.5 KB
    Here we go. I had to email it to myself then to a screenshot.

Alright, the lid is a tank hood because it has a tiny built in led light. I'm getting a metal screen cover.
    Questions: is there a bulb that'll do heat and light and what lamp?
    What thermometer/humidity gauge do you guy recommend. There's one at walmart for house holds that does both, would that work just the same?(it's less expensive than ones for "reptiles" that do the same thing.)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Very pretty!

Yep, same thing.

A3gilmore

Thanks for the help guys! Tell you what, I got her to calm down in my hand today a little bit, after a lot of peeing. As I get the light/heat and what not I'll post some more pictures and definitely some updates

Thread Information