Thread: New to the frog and vivarium world need some guidance

psybahchick

Question New to the frog and vivarium world need some guidance

I've found myself a bit obsessed with tree frogs and vivarium building lately especially after finding this forum and seeing all the amazing vivariums you guys have come up with. So with many hours spent reading and researching the hobby, I jumped in and found someone local who was selling a 18x18x24 exo terra and the light hood for $50. I thought this was a great deal considering on sale brand new at petsmart the tank is $91 and the hood is another 50-60 bucks.
    I picked up the tank yesterday. Despite it having a completely rusted out clip in top and one broken clip it was in good shape. Now I'm realizing it's an older version tank and finding a replacement clip in screen top is impossible. My husband has told me he will attempt to change out the screen and replace it but I'm worried the silicone washer/ring holding it in place is no longer usable. I'm not ready to change it out to a piece of glass or plexi because I'd like to have some grey tree frogs or an easier lower humidity frog as my first and I'm afraid there won't be enough ventilation if I seal off the top. Can anyone tell me if there is a trick to finding a replacement top with clips or perhaps someone can point me to a good resource or YouTube video of DIY screen replacement. Any other wise advise is welcome.
    I'm learning so much from everyone on here as I quietly stalk the forum everyday for new tips and ideas. I'm also learning this will be one heck of an expensive hobby so if anyone has any cost saving tips please feel free to share as well. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New to the frog and vivarium world need some guidance

I am not very familiar with the exo terra's, I do not own any, but judging by pics I've seen, can you just silicone some fiberglass screening into the top? You should still be able to open it from the front, correct? That's what I did on my grey tree frog tank. It was a hexagon tank with a glass top and I was unable to find any screen tops.

And welcome to the forum! If you're open to DIY, it doesn't have to be too expensive.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Default New to the frog and vivarium world need some guidance

Without some pics, it's really hard to offer advice, but I would say remove the screen and replace it with plexiglass. You can always cut holes in it and silicone fiberglass screen to it for ventilation.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

psybahchick

Thanks so much. I never thought about either of those options. I think the plexiglass drilled with screen is a good solution for me. This way I am still able to use the hood that came with it. I have a few other questions I'd like to post regarding construction. I have a 25g tall that I was given to use as a "practice" tank. I actually had a nice long response ready to post but something got screwy with my iPhone and it wouldn't let me post. This is the first time I've joined any kind of forum and actually posted so chances are it was a complete operator error. Either way I'm too sleepy now to get my questions and thoughts out so I will post and include some early build photos for some additional guidance at a later date. Thanks again and I need to add how insanely jealous I am of the artistic talent I've seen on your vivariums Bill. I only help with everyone's tips and tricks I can create my own little frog oasis.

6. This member thanks psybahchick for this post:

You'll do just fine. Just take your time, don't rush things and I'm sure your enclosure will be amazing

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

psybahchick

Great news for me... I contacted Ralph C. Hagen Corporation in Michigan and they will be sending a new top at no cost since this is something that is discontinued but they still have the size I needed in stock. Now I will remove the screen from the old one and glue in some plexiglass so I have some options.

Are there any tips or tricks to working with Greatstuff on something that can be inserted into the tank instead of me working in a tight space sideways? Can I just use a piece of styrofoam cut to size and build it out with Greatstuff??
    Last edited by psybahchick; June 24th, 2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling

That's pretty cool that they are doing that for you. Hagen always did have excellent customer service.

You can build onto a piece of styrofoam and then attach it. I normally recommend against doing it that way because 9 times out of 10, the end result ends up being much less than perfect and gets scrapped by whoever is doing it. Also, that just adds to the many things that can go wrong (I.e. The styro pulling away from the glass, things getting behind it, ect)

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri