Thread: Newbie here

Jaidee

Red face Newbie here

I have loved frogs all my life, and coming from a girl, this was kind of hard on my mom, but she put up with it thinking I would eventually outgrow the frogs and horses, well, I never have. With a body that hurts all the time because of my CRPS , a medical diagnoses, I don't get out and ride very much because it causes me so much discomfort, so I went back to frog collecting and actively making their vivariums as much a good home for them and pleasing for all who see them. I have several tanks to experiment and play with so that is a good thing. I have adult Vietnamese Mossies and I am trying to get them to breed. Tank is good, humidity and temp is good, the males call every evening, often calling all night long, but I have never caught them in amplex, so I am hoping for some suggestions to get the ladies in the mood. I enjoy building my vivarium for the frogs and I do my best with what I have or can get, and I will share photos and ask for your help later on. As you can tell I have several dart frogs and am always on the lookout for something new or just a want. To me, listening to my Mossies gently calling to his lady is so sweet, I often go to sleep while listening to them. Well, this is a little about me, now for me to start an album and share with you guys.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Newbie here

Welcome to Frog Forum

This is an old thread ....but it's a good one

Good luck ...keep us posted !

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Welcome! My mom always thought I would outgrow my love for frogs also....wrong!

Good luck on your breeding project!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF Jaydee ! I'm very sorry for you not being able to ride and the pain . Think if you search forum might find more info on Mossies; although not sure if dealing with breeding. I remember an European member posted some info and great photos a couple years back. What Dart frogs are you keeping?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Jaidee

Carlos, I adore my Mossies, they are such sweet frog and I love their calls. As far as darts go, I have 4 Azureus, 2 yellow splash backs, 2 coastarican blue and green, and a pair of Santa Isabelas. I want more, just not sure which ones to get! I love the ones with loud calls...any suggestions?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jaidee View Post
    Carlos, I adore my Mossies, they are such sweet frog and I love their calls. As far as darts go, I have 4 Azureus, 2 yellow splash backs, 2 coastarican blue and green, and a pair of Santa Isabelas. I want more, just not sure which ones to get! I love the ones with loud calls...any suggestions?
    Not sure which ones have the loudest calls. Guess you could visit AmphibiaWeb or do searches for calls and compare them. On the Mossies, here is an older thread dealing with reproduction: http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...ossy-frog.html.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Ive always loved the way mosses look Welcome! Hope to see pictures of your froggies

Jaidee

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the links. I am still trying to figure out this forum stuff..I know I will figure it out sooner or later. I need to wander over to old threads or start new ones so I can get answers I am looking for, stuff like favorite misting system, misting vs fogging, stuff like that.

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You've done a great choice with the mossoies! They are wonderful frogs to keep. I just picked up 3 Theloderma corticale this weekend and they are gorgeous!

I've kept two other species of mossy frogs a bit longer, T. gordoni and T. asperum and been successful in breeding the asperums. They seemed to get into breedingmood after adding alot of new "fresh" water to the enclosure, simulating a heavy rainfall in the wild wich would flood the treeholes they live in.

By the way, do you know for sure that you have a female among them?

Jaidee

Raya, I have 4 Mossies, 2 are much smaller in size and one does all the calling. When I bought them I requested at least 1 females, but I think that I have 2 of each. I have been taking some of the water out every day to make them think it is a dry spell, I can't take out all the water because of the fish. Well, actually, I guess I can take the fish out if I have to. I have guppies in there that I think they are eating, to many to count. I have them in a large vivarium and when I feed them crickets or the Dubia roaches I wait till dark and put a whole bunch in, like 3 doz or so. Some get eaten, some drown and some hide...only to be eaten at a later date. They all look ok, I don't think there is such a thing as a fat Mossie...they all look thin to me, but that is part of who they are. Congratulations on your new frogs! I have 32 frogs I think , my little Santa Isabella has been calling to his lady for about 2 weeks, such fun to watch all the frogs...

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Please post a thread with pictures of your enclosure and frogs. If you want of course. I'd love to see some more mossie pictures on the forum!

The water method your using should work great. I wish you all the luck and hope you get some tadpoles.

Thread Information