Thread: Toadlet question

kellie

Default Toadlet question

Hi everyone! i have 2 american toadlets (at least i think they're american toadlets). they've both morphed all 4 legs. one of them hasn't ventured out of the water yet, but the other has and he has a very annoying habit of climbing the tank wall. i'm afraid that he'll climb to the top of the tank and get squished between the tank lip and the lid or, because he's not fully morphed yet, dry out or something awful! i've already had one commit suicide by jumping into the water after he morphed. needless to say, i learned my lesson and transplanted the other 2 into about 1/2 inch of water .. just enough for them to swim and stick their head out of the water or climb out, if they accidentally fall in. right now, i have them in a small tank (about 3 gallons) with a large, shallow dish where they're swimming and the rest is a damp paper towel. i know that the paper towel isn't ideal, but i was paranoid about another drowning or drying out. i have coconut fiber that i'll transfer them into tomorrow.

anyway .. how do i keep them from climbing the wall? i was thinking of brushing a little bit of vegetable oil or something on the sides of the tank, but i don't want to harm their skin or worse, KILL them! any advice?

PS. and since he's CLIMBING, could i have tree froglets and not american toadlets? i'm in NJ (USA) and don't know of any tree frog species native to this area. photos attached. thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Toadlet question

Its a toad, and yes there are treefrogs in NJ. Don't know what species are there off hand, would have to look it up. As far as getting it to stop climbing, see my response to your other post.

Thread Information