Thread: Just got a Pacman yesterday!

Vicnair

Default Just got a Pacman yesterday!

I did a good bit of research on Pacman, got one yesterday. It's a good bit smaller than a baseball but bigger than a half dollar, can he go in a 5 gallon? I have a 10 gallon now, but it just looks too big. Last night all I did was watch him and surf the computer. He's awesome but he chills in one spot. This makes me wonder if he could be in a 5 gallon and be happy for a while at least. Also, how do you.... If possible.... sex one? Thank you so much and I'm sorry if these questions have been answered, I'm really bad at navigating forums.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Just got a Pacman yesterday!

Hi, welcome to pacman universe.
    1st- not moving is normal the hardly ever move, they borrow and wait for food to come there way, so that's fine
    2nd- a gal. Is perfect for the little guy, personally I think a 10 gal. Is way to big for a frog that size.
    Last sexing is difficult at that age I'd wait till it gets bigger
    Hope you upload pics of lil guy.

This is camoName:  IMG_20140610_173120.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  129.6 KB

Hello,
    I think that frog would probably do good in a 5 gallon for now but I personally wouldn't go any smaller than that.
    And yes, pacman frogs aren't very active unless they feed.
    And last of all, you can't sex them until they get bigger which is true with most frogs.

I hope this helps!

Vicnair

Thank you both for the advice, I think I will keep my 10 gallon unless you think too much room is a bad thing. I got some plants and it looks really nice with some space in between them. The only problem I am having now is keeping humidity in. I have a mesh lid and its just not cutting it. I'm thinking about going to lowes or home depot and buying a sheet of plexiglass and cutting it to have a openable flap and a hole so the light wont melt the glass. My room is cold so i got a 50w heat lamp for safe measure. Any other advice I should know?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! I'm guessing your Pacman is 2 in. SVL (snout to vent) so a 5 gallon is fine. Pacman frogs can get stressed if the enclosure is big; but you can move it to 10G when it reaches 3.5 to 4 in. SVL. Around that time males start croaking and develop nuptial pads on their front legs "thumbs."

You can solve the humidity problem with aluminum foil. Cover the whole top screen with it and tape it to edges. Then use a sharpie marker to mark around your light fixture circumference. Using scissors carefully cut around the outline; but make the hole just a bit bigger (1 cm. is fine). If humidity gets too high; then just remove some more foil around the light fixture. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'd say Carlos covered all the basics with humidity, rember to keep the gage close the the soil in tank the humidity in air isn't as important with pacman frogs as there terestreal not aboreal the ideal % is around 80% at ground level.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Vicnair View Post
    Thank you both for the advice, I think I will keep my 10 gallon unless you think too much room is a bad thing. I got some plants and it looks really nice with some space in between them. The only problem I am having now is keeping humidity in. I have a mesh lid and its just not cutting it. I'm thinking about going to lowes or home depot and buying a sheet of plexiglass and cutting it to have a openable flap and a hole so the light wont melt the glass. My room is cold so i got a 50w heat lamp for safe measure. Any other advice I should know?
    Big cage is always a bad idea for pacman frog. 10 gal is way way too big for a baby. With these guys the smaller the better, it will make them feel safe.
    As Carlos said foil is awesome to keep humidity in, but you can get zoomed hydrotherm, plug in there your fogger and heat lamp and it will control humidity and temp for you. And make sure you cover 3 sides of the enclosure and out in a plant of sort to create a hide. Good luck and welcome to the forums!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Vicnair

Thank y'all again, I put some foil on the mesh lid and it seems to be better. I have just one more question. Can he dig too deep? I know where he is because I watched him dig, but he buried his entire body to where his eyes are about a half an inch from the surface. The substrate is about 4 inches deep, should I take some out?

If no one says anything absolute about 10 gallons being too big I will just leave him in it, but like I said, he's a bit smaller than a tennis ball.

Thank you for being so friendly and helping someone as ignorant as me!!

EDIT: I know the previous post said that 10 gallons IS too big for a baby, but I am not sure what you consider a baby. I'm at work so I cant upload a picture of him, hes definitely not an adult, but he's got some weight on him for sure.

Nationality
    [Canada]

He is a bit smaller then tennis ball? So he is like 3"? The baby i consider up to 2-2,5" for cranwelli or ornate.

If he is eating ok in his 10 gal, then it is fine, but pacman frogs are getting stressed up easily in big cages, especially if it is very open. If that happens they stop eating and then it is all new set of problems. So just watch for that and make sure you cover 3 sides of the enclosure, put a plant(s).
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Length measurement would be more helpful for determining what size tank is best than a picture (although we would all love to see one anyway!) As Carlos said, 3.5-4 inches from snout to vent would be the best time to move it into a bigger enclosure, smaller than that and your frog may do better in the smaller enclosure.

Congrats on your new friend!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh about depth of substrate. You can leave it or take out, if he is not stressed out it is not a problem, the problem is when he buried too deep and you cant see him for days and cant see if there us a problem or not. I usually have about 3" substrate for adults, this way they still can burry to feel safe but not too deep for me to see.

Vicnair

Hes probably 3" maybe a bit smaller. I woke up and checked and the three crickets were still in there. I have three plants, two cover one wall, and then the third is in the other corner, so there is still about a wall and a half open. I think he might not eat because of the move. I think I am going to keep a close eye on him since I am off this weekend. I also have a heat light. I think someone said that isn't really necessary. Should I take it out? Just wanting something to be able to see him better.

Vicnair

Here he is!
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Nationality
    [Canada]

Pretty! But he needs warm bath to help him shed, it is very dry in there, you gotta fix it. Heat lamps especially spot heat lamps like yours usually are sucking humidity very fast, infrared lamps are better for maintaining temps and you use them at night too.

You can use just regular energy saving lamp, 13w are perfect, not too bright and let you see the guy.

and you still need to cover 3 sides of his enclosure, just plants are not enough, just get smth, aquarium backgrounds work awesome for that.

Vicnair

Lija, I have since your message gotten a loweer watt light and got more plants. I have also been soaking the substrate very well. As far as the bath, can you explain a little more of that?

Nationality
    [Canada]

You gotta be careful with soaking substrate very well it has to be wet but not soaking wet, not mud like.

Bath i actually do it for mine once a month at least when changing substrate, just because, my male is a VERY lazy one lol

bath to help with shedding- warm treated water, i usually stick my hand in, if it feels warm, not going osd over exact temp. I would think it should be about 82. Water level no higher then frogs chin, otherwise it might drown, keep a frog in there for like 20 min, rub very very gently sides, dont use any force taking skin out, it should go on its own. You might need to do it a few times depending how bad the situation is.

Thread Information