Thread: My Pacman and Crickets

Default My Pacman and Crickets

I just started offering my frog large crickets, he seems legitimately interested in them, is there a way that I can help make it easy for him to catch them? I put 1-2 in the den Monday and they were gone by the time I got home from work the next day, I put 2 in on Tuesday, and they are still there, any suggestions would be helpful

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: My Pacman and Crickets

Hrmm, you could try killing them for him, but I don't think he would be as interested in them. Your frog should be able to catch them but if he has not been eating food as fast as crickets, it could take him a little while to get the hang of catching them. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the quick reply, going to keep an eye on him for a while to see how he is doing with them. I tried nightcrawlers cut into pieces and he just wasn't interested in them, tried using tongs and moving it around and got no reaction from him, when I put the crickets in there he seemed to have perked up a bit

No problem, most frogs and reptiles will only eat live prey. If you are going to do nightcrawlers I would do them live. I hope this helps!

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by SherriG View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, going to keep an eye on him for a while to see how he is doing with them. I tried nightcrawlers cut into pieces and he just wasn't interested in them, tried using tongs and moving it around and got no reaction from him, when I put the crickets in there he seemed to have perked up a bit
    Try to tong train him, it will make your life way easier. Just be persistent. There is a excellent IvoryReptiles video on youtube that i think is called tong feeding 1001 or something like that.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I've been feeding Keropi Nightcrawlers since his second or third feeding, he doesn't seem to care much for Crickets anymore D: I put him in a separate plastic shoebox with some wet papertowels recently to make sure he wasn't eating mouthfuls of substrate and he just didn't go after it. Though with the first feeding of nightcrawlers someone suggested passing an extra day or so between feedings to kind of make him "hungry" and willing to eat nightcrawlers. As far as tong feeding goes though, I don't think I've trained him to eat from tongs. (I'm a bit jumpy myself so whenever he snaps at his food while I'm still holding onto it, it gives me a little scare haha.)

So I kind of place worms where they're close to his little burrow but far enough that he can't just snatch it from where he sits to make him feel like he's a hunter.

I found that my frog likes small to medium dubia roaches (gut loaded), the crickets are ok, but he just don't seem interested in them now, and as far as nightcrawlers, he just isn't there yet, but am still trying, and I have noticed that he is moving around alot more and pooping more, which is a good thing. I'm totally stoked about this!

Thread Information