Thread: Questions from a newbie about White's Tree Frog setup

Kmoonleaf

Default Questions from a newbie about White's Tree Frog setup

Hello!! I'm looking into getting my first frog, a White's tree frog, and I've been researching a lot but i'm a little confused on some things.

I'm going to be setting up my tank using an old 25-gallon fishtank, and I plan to use only fake plants. There are a lot of pros and cons to each substrate type, and i'm trying to figure out what would be best for me. I'm not particularly picky about looks, i just want something that will keep my frog happy and isn't crazy expensive/ hard to maintain.
    I read that paper towels or cloth can work, but I'm concerned because they have to be replaced/cleaned daily or almost daily, and with the fishtank I'd have to remove almost everything in the tank to get it in and out.
    With traditional substrates like eco-earth or moss, I'm worried that it will get waterlogged or moldy. how often do substrates like that need to be replaced? Is it worth it to use a false bottom with traditional substrate for a white's tree frog? I'm afraid a false bottom might take up too much space.
    I've also seen some people use large pebbles, too big for the frogs to accidentally swallow. what are the pros and cons to this? Will I be able to keep the tank moist enough if I do this? Will they get mildewy?

Thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Questions from a newbie about White's Tree Frog setup

Hello and welcome to frog forum!
    1. The best substrate type that most people use is ABG, which you can buy online.
    2. You can do Great Stuff backgrounds covers with titebond 3 wood glue mixed with dried cocofiber ( All credit to Deranged Chipmunk!).
    3. The subsrate shouldn't need to be replaced to often, though you may need to spot clean it if you don't have any springtails or other decomposers.
    4. You should definetly do the false bottom. It will be harder to keep humidity up with rocks but it can work as long as the rocks are big enough where your frog won't accientally ingest it.

I hope this Helps!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wouldn't use the ABG unless you're going to do a planted tank with something over the top of the ABG. You don't want the frog to consume this stuff. Eco earth would be the safest choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider18 View Post
    Hello and welcome to frog forum!
    1. The best substrate type that most people use is ABG, which you can buy online.
    2. You can do Great Stuff backgrounds covers with titebond 3 wood glue mixed with dried cocofiber ( All credit to Deranged Chipmunk!).
    3. The subsrate shouldn't need to be replaced to often, though you may need to spot clean it if you don't have any springtails or other decomposers.
    4. You should definetly do the false bottom. It will be harder to keep humidity up with rocks but it can work as long as the rocks are big enough where your frog won't accientally ingest it.

I hope this Helps!
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

True, or you could just use cocofiber since they are an arboreal species, and it is safe to ingest in small amounts. I use is with my pacific chorus frog and she doesn't really mind if it sticks to her. Also, when she is eating crickets she sometimes consumes the cocofiber, but I have had her on it for a few months ans there have been no problems.

Nationality
    [United States]

Eco earth and coco fiber are the same

The Frog chooses its owner. Treat your life-long friend with respect and care and it will never disappoint!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

I would say for ease of maintenance, a set up like Gail's (kueluck) would be ideal. Drilled bottom, so you can drain all the water off effortlessly. There are pics and descriptions in quite a few threads on it, and maybe Gail wouldn't mind elaborating on her set up here. It's really unique and seems as though it would very easy to maintain.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    Eco earth and coco fiber are the same

The Frog chooses its owner. Treat your life-long friend with respect and care and it will never disappoint!
    Oh didn't realize that. Well now I know

Nationality
    [United States]

This viv isn't drilled........yet. But I really love this set up for the Whites Tree Frog since if a feeder gets loose I don't have to worry about them eating the substrate. It's the Exo Terra 36x18x36 and I've layered it as such. Hydro balls, coco fiber matting, New Zealand sphagnum moss, coco fiber matting. The moss holds a ton of water which keeps the spring tails alive to keep the viv clean. Since I’ve done this back in Dec 2013 I haven't really done anything except wipe down the walls and of course wash the water dishes daily. Plus clean the hides and such, but otherwise pretty simple to maintain. I've checked the PH balance using the PH strips and it's right on, plus it smells nice. I do mist the viv once or twice a day pending on what the gauges say, but otherwise, it's good to go. I do miss the planted version, but then I have others that are planted, plus I have a couple of potted plants in there also.
    Name:  CIMG2108.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  44.4 KBName:  CIMG2109.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  141.6 KBName:  CIMG2110.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  128.8 KB

Kmoonleaf

what are spring tails? what do they do for the tank?

Nationality
    [United States]

They are small invertebrates that help the decomposition process.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Kmoonleaf

Name:  IMG_20140619_203301337_zpsnlpdjvbj.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  83.1 KB These are the items I have gathered for my tank setup so far. Is everything here okay?

Looks like you are on your way

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

I would return the plastic plant and replace it with a silk one. If they jump at the plant and it pokes them in the eye you'll have an issue. My SheToad did this, and since them I've removed plastic plants and anything with a sharp edge on it. And SheToad is recovering nicely by the way. All else looks good.

FYI - I love the silk ruscus plant, and it holds up well the weight of the WTF.

Kmoonleaf

yikes, i was afraid that a plastic plant might be too sharp, but i didn't see any other type in the store. thanks for letting me know.

Nationality
    [United States]

What are dimensions of 25G? Myself would go with a bottom of dual layered coco fiber mat as per Gail set-up. A water dish, a feeder glass bowl, silk and maybe a couple of potted live plants (if they fit). Do remember you will need a basking spot that reaches 85F during the day and good ventilation. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Kmoonleaf

I'm not sure of the dimensions, the tank is at my grandmother's house at the moment. All I know is that it's a vertically-aligned hexagon shaped 25g tank. ( i'm planning to make my own mesh lid to fit the tank. the fact that it's hexagon shaped makes things a little complicated, but it's all i've got because i can't afford to buy a brand new tank. )
    is the bulb shown in the picture i posted okay to create a basking spot? It's a 75watt nocturnal infrared heat lamp.

Nationality
    [United States]

a 75w might heat the whole tank up to high. During the summer I use a 40W red light and during the winter a 60W red for the basking spot. It stays on 24/7. But then I live in NC so our weather might be milder compared to yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmoonleaf View Post
    I'm not sure of the dimensions, the tank is at my grandmother's house at the moment. All I know is that it's a vertically-aligned hexagon shaped 25g tank. ( i'm planning to make my own mesh lid to fit the tank. the fact that it's hexagon shaped makes things a little complicated, but it's all i've got because i can't afford to buy a brand new tank. )
    is the bulb shown in the picture i posted okay to create a basking spot? It's a 75watt nocturnal infrared heat lamp.

Thread Information