Thread: Small ant like bugs in the tank, please help

Amanda McGovern

Default Small ant like bugs in the tank, please help

I have 3 FBT in one tank it's first rock and a large water dish. I lifted up the dish and rocks to clean and found a ton of small tinny ant like bugs underneath, what could they be and how to get rid of them. I have moved them to a water tank for now with a small play form for them. Any suggestions, should I just keep them in the water tank or much them back to the dirt tank and ran the bugs? I'm just worried the bugs will come back

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Small ant like bugs in the tank, please help

Welcome to the forums! Could you take a picture of the bugs? It sounds like they could be gnats or some other similar bug. Also, do they fly?

Dustin Fife

Default Re: Small ant like bugs in the tank, please help

I would guess they are thrift flies also known as gnats and a billion other names if they are small and black they came with your soil, they eat plant roots and wont harm your frogs infact they are a good food source for younger ones , to avoid them the only way that's safe for a frog would be to cook your soil in the oven at 350 for about 5-10 min before you put it in their tank, do you have a picture of the bugs would be easier to identify that way, but if they are gnats they will go away on their own when the food source is gone often mold or plant roots or decaying plant mater is what various species eat. as for tank i would go the half and half approach FBT's like to spend a lot of time at the water edge, they will go explore the water and hunt up on land but when they rest they like to hide in some plants floating in water, if you could give them a room with a pond in the center you old find 90% of them less than 2 feet from the water

Thread Information