Thread: ADF Advice?

russi666

Default ADF Advice?

Hey everyone,

I have 5 adfs in a 20 litre tank and have had them about a year. They used to sing like mad, but don't any more and I miss it so thought I'd post here and check if I'm doing anything wrong. There's 2 females and 3 males (used to be a 3rd female but she escaped a few months back and couldn't find her til it was too late :'( )
    They used to sing ALL the time, and be constantly mating. For the last 3 or 4 months they virtually never sing bar the odd croak, and mate far less frequently. Also, there's never been any eggs produced. They're in 26° water, same as always, fed on a varied mixture of fish flakes, frozen brine shrimp/bloodworm/daphnia and occasional live brine shrimp. Same tank. Same location. Partial water change every 2 weeks.
    Anyone have any ideas? Or even just general suggestions to make them as happy as possible?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: ADF Advice?

Welcome to frog forum! . Has anything at all changed since they sang and mated? Also they are from southern Africa i think so when its summer here (breeding season) its the dry season there. Did the calling start in fall and winter and stop near the spring?

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Tank Girl

Hello! I'm not sure about the croaking/mating but they shouldn't be on fish flakes. Look out for some special frog pellets, I've been feeding ReptoFrog pellets, or I've heard Pollywog pellets are pretty good, I'm gonna try those out soon. Both available in the UK

Here is a link to their store: Pollywog

Also, 6 frogs in 20 litres (5 US gallons) would have been overstocked. ADFs need 1-2 US gallons per frog. What you have now is maximum stocking level for your tank.

russi666

I can't think of any changes. I'm completely stumped. It doesn't seem to have coincided with the changing seasons either. Any ideas why there's never been a single egg?
    I bought some wafers for them when I bought them, but they just seemed to ignore them until they were starving! But flakes and live or frozen food they go mental for. Will flakes do them any harm? Is there anything else I can do to vary the diet? Also, is 26° ok, or should I try knocking it up a couple?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default ADF Advice?

76-78 Fahrenheit is ideal. I think thats like 25-26 celsius so your good temp wise. Bloodworms black worms cut up night crawlers and brine shrimp are all good. Can you get a pic up of the tank or the frogs? Also describe all things in the tank. Conditions might not be optimal for egg laying.

The Frog chooses its owner. Treat your life-long friend with respect and care and it will never disappoint!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

russi666

I'll sort a pic out today if I can. It's a Fluval Chi 20 litre tank, with the Fluval Chi filter that comes with the tank. It obviously has the heater in, at the back, which they occasionally hang around, white pebbles covering the bottom, and one ornament in the middle which provides shelter and has artificial plants on it.

Thread Information