Thread: Frog spiting up "goo"-Please help

ratty

Unhappy Frog spiting up "goo"-Please help

My sister has a western clawed frog, and just two days ago we discovered a bulge in his stomach that we think is a piece of gravel. I read some advice on this form about feeding soft foods to frogs who had eaten rocks, so I gave him some brine shrimp with spirulina . But today as we we doing a water change, the frog started to throw up a gooey, almost hairlike substance. Allot of it. Then he ate it again. Can someone tell me what happened and what we should do to save owr frog? I'm pretty worried about him.
    Edit: (just found out it might be the frogs shed skin)
    Last edited by ratty; June 7th, 2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: found out more info

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog spiting up "goo"-Please help

Welcome to frog forum! Impaction is a common problem. You should take your frog to the vet ASAP if you can and definitely get rid of that gravel. You might also want to check for a fungal infection just to be on the safe side.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ratty View Post
    My sister has a western clawed frog, and just two days ago we discovered a bulge in his stomach that we think is a piece of gravel. I read some advice on this form about feeding soft foods to frogs who had eaten rocks, so I gave him some brine shrimp with spirulina . But today as we we doing a water change, the frog started to throw up a gooey, almost hairlike substance. Allot of it. Then he ate it again. Can someone tell me what happened and what we should do to save owr frog? I'm pretty worried about him.
    Edit: (just found out it might be the frogs shed skin)
    This really sounds like skin shedding. Did it look like this? [YouTube Video]

About the lump in the stomach.. have a picture? Some times when these frogs eat they have a lump in the stomach, doesn't mean it is gravel. My experience has been that ACF are pretty good at knowing what is food and what is not food and spitting out foriegn objects. That being said, if you are using gravel I would switch it out a light covering of sand or a bare tank bottom. Large pebbles work but in my opinion, these tend to become uneaten food traps, very hard to keep clean. I use a fine, smooth, aquarium sand myself.

ratty

Wink Re: Frog spiting up "goo"-Please help

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    This really sounds like skin shedding. Did it look like this? [YouTube Video]

About the lump in the stomach.. have a picture? Some times when these frogs eat they have a lump in the stomach, doesn't mean it is gravel. My experience has been that ACF are pretty good at knowing what is food and what is not food and spitting out foriegn objects. That being said, if you are using gravel I would switch it out a light covering of sand or a bare tank bottom. Large pebbles work but in my opinion, these tend to become uneaten food traps, very hard to keep clean. I use a fine, smooth, aquarium sand myself.
    Yes, it looks like he was just eating his shed skin. Thank you for linking me to that video.
    Here is a picture of the frog.
    Name:  tumblr_n6tzk04ocz1su05rdo1_500.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  68.4 KB
    The lump in his belly is really tiny, but it sticks out from the side and seems to be weighting him down.

Nationality
    [United States]

Could you circle where the bump is on the image? I cannot distinguish it. Also I notice this tank has more gravel, did you remove it after the fact?

I am also curious as to the diet, this (male?) frog seems rather thin for a x. tropicalis.

ratty

Name:  tumblr_n6vc0mxjNp1su05rdo1_500.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  69.8 KB
    Name:  tumblr_n6vc0mxjNp1su05rdo2_500.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  61.8 KB
    you can kind of see that he has a small lump in his side.

Owr frog is a Silurana tropicalis, and we feed him dried bloodworms once a day

Nationality
    [United States]

Is that his permanment enclosure? If so it is woefully too small to a house any type of clawed frog, even for a Silurana Tropicalis (which yes is smaller than X. Laevis) they need 10 gallons minimum. A 10 gallon aquarium is typically under $15.

Freeze dried foods ate terrible for clawed frogs, I would stop feeding them immediately and feed him something like nightcrawlers. These can be purchased for $3.25/18 large worms.

To be perfectly straight forward with you, his frog is emaciated and is being fed an inadequate diet.

ratty

He lives in a 10 gallon tank, and we took out all the gravel. We will start feeding him beefheart for now.

ratty

It looks like our frog passed the gravel! We have been feeding him beefheart and I think that helped. But is beefheart a good long-term food for frogs? He is too small to eat nightcrawlers, so what else should we feed him?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Frog spiting up "goo"-Please help

You could try cutting up the night crawlers and offering them in small pieces. Bloodworms may be to small but they are worth a try.

The Frog chooses its owner. Treat your life-long friend with respect and care and it will never disappoint!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Thread Information