Thread: Emergancy Emargancy

tattooed81

Default Emergancy Emargancy

I`m pretty sure that a few of my Hyla cinerea are full of eggs. What do I doż I`m sure that they won`t lay them into a water bowl , will theyż
    If anyone could look at a pic and tell if there egged up please tell me.
    and I wouldn`t know what to do if they are. when I was a kid i would catch tadpoles but they never lived longer than 2 weeks I don`t want to kill anything.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Emergancy Emargancy

Quote Originally Posted by tattooed81 View Post
    I`m pretty sure that a few of my Hyla cinerea are full of eggs. What do I doż I`m sure that they won`t lay them into a water bowl , will theyż
    If anyone could look at a pic and tell if there egged up please tell me.
    and I wouldn`t know what to do if they are. when I was a kid i would catch tadpoles but they never lived longer than 2 weeks I don`t want to kill anything.
    I wouldn't call that an emergency. If they're plump towards the rear then it's probably eggs, unless they're showing unhealthy behavior (off food, lethargic, that kind of thing). The only way we can tell if it has a lot of eggs is to see a good photograph. They won't die if they don't lay - people wrongly apply reptile stuff like being "egg-bound" to amphibians all the time.

tattooed81

what I`m saying is if they are egged then I don`t know how to take care of tadpoles I have tried and they die. I want them to lay and i hope they make little tadpoles I will try to get a pic of one

tattooed81

here are some pics I hope there good enough
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [Ireland]

One on the left looks like a female with eggs. I doubt you're going to breed them though - it usually takes concerted effort to get that to happen. For one thing, happy Treefrogs don't hang out in corners like that.

Billy

Yeah, as John has stated, happy treefrogs don't hang out in corners. When I had a H. cinerea, I had plenty of live plants in it's tank. It would spend it's resting hours on the leaves, branches, and flowers of any plant in the tank. You could put fake plants in there if you don't want to take care of live plants. A live planted terrarium is not only healthy and mentally enriching habitat for any frog, but if done right, will be a beautiful addition to any room.
    Yes, a lot of people think of reptiles and amphibians as the same type of creature, but they are not. John, don't frogs that are gravid and don't lay, absorb their eggs/sperm?
    Anyway, I'd atleast put some fake plants in there for them to make them happy. Of course is is just my opinion.

tattooed81

I took there plants out and there vines out and forced them into the corner for the pic they useuly rest on leaves and jump from vines to sticks to leaves then to ground and then in the water bowl then back on a leaf there very active at night one of them is very talkative

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    John, don't frogs that are gravid and don't lay, absorb their eggs/sperm?
    Some may absorb eggs but most (all?) just keep eggs indefinitely. I am not sure if males produce sperm year round but they are only receptive to mating after the right conditioning (wet weather in spring after a cold winter, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by tattooed81 View Post
    one of them is very talkative
    Male tree frogs call throughout the breeding season but that doesn't mean they're going to breed for sure, and males are much easier to condition than females. If you have any water in the tank then I think they would have bred by now if they were really interested under their current conditions.

tattooed81

I wish I knew what they did at night

Billy

Thanks, John.

Kurt

I would also like to add that you may need a rain chamber to stimulate breeding.

tattooed81

Red face Re: Emergancy Emargancy

Thank you all so much

Kurt

You're welcome

Thread Information