Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could I get some help with an injury?

Lovino

Exclamation Could I get some help with an injury?

Aiya! Right when I thought Sage was getting better he got a nose injury. Its under his nose, on his lip. He has been in a 10 gallon holding tank, with a water dish, cups to hide in, and unprinted white paper towels I change for the ground. I have been treating him for a foot injury(thats almost fully recovered)

I have been treating the nose injury with unmedicated neosporin just like the foot, but it looks rough. He seems to be hopping, soaking, and eating like normal. When I bring the q-tip to it, it seems to hurt, which I feel bad about.

I just want to know how this might of happened? Is he hopping into the sides of the tank trying to get out? Or is it some sort of infection, again?

I was going to ask for help in my previous thread:http://www.frogforum.net/frogs/29487...ease-help.html
    But I was afraid I might not get help in it, due to the number of post.

1st is of the injury, second is the injury but sorta where you can compare it to the good side. I'll try to get better pictures.
    Name:  IMG_3633.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  89.6 KBName:  IMG_3636.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  72.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lovino

Default Re: Could I get some help with an injury?

forgot to mention, smooth edges on water dish and cups, also by unmedicated I mean non-pain relieving.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It looks like infection of sorts, not typical place for it though, would u be able to take better pics? i will look at your other thread a bit later, gotta go now.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

5. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Lovino

Fricken A! really!? Yeah, Ill snap more photos soon.

I dont have money to go to the vet. Would formalin and malachite green baths work again?

It seems like he bumped it against the tank when trying to evade me, and made it bleed again. I was thinking it was from smashing against the tank, hating the small tank and all.

Lovino

Name:  IMG_3645.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  51.6 KBName:  IMG_3649.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  63.7 KBName:  IMG_3648.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  43.6 KBName:  IMG_3653.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  50.0 KB
    Photos:1-3 mouth. 4 foot, which I have been treating and have actually seen improvement in.

It has seems he has lost interest in food again! Just when I thought he was getting better! I have no clue as to what has happened, im so frustrated and upset at this.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Could I get some help with an injury?

The lip injury looks to have actual missing tissue. How long has he had it? The foot still looks rough.

Is there any way you can get some silver sulfadiazene cream?

My concern is that:
    1. Has he infected his own lip with bacteria from the foot.
    2. Is it from him trying to get out of the tank though the right sided area is not common. Most nose run issues are on the center of the end of their noses.
    3. Is the neosporin working. The foot still has a lot of redness and the center looks infected. I think he may need vet prescribed meds at this time.

From what I can see, I think he needs further medication.

Or, did he get injured on something?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

9. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Lovino

His foot was healing. it was pink, till recently. The area of the wound decreased too. Then his lip got hurt. Initially it was a light pink too. I was immediately concerned, I noticed that he was trying to hop through the tank from his favorite spot(or at least where he tends to stay) on to a near by shelf, banging up his lip. So I made sure to cover that spot of tank so he couldn't see it. At that time his foot was looking good, and it looked like he was going to get to return soon, so I figured I would treat his lip and he would stop busting it now that it was covered.

But it grew worse over time, and soon he was acting like his foot was in pain again.(maybe a week or less)

The neosporin does have trouble staying on so I have dab the wounds gently dry. also the foot photo is after he has hopped away from me for awhile, so it might be red from that. As I said he WAS recovering and eating, he just started back sliding.....

As for the vet, Im literally broke. The last time he was sick it drained the last of my money, my cars broken and I cant afford to fix it. I going job hunting with my moms car this weekend.

Im trying the malachite and formalin again, if its the same infection, it fought it off the first time. I think failed to treat him long enough if it is the same infection.

Nationality
    [United States]

I will try and order some SSD for you. I'll have to talk to Dr. Frye first. Can you send me the best photos you've got of the lip and foot? I'll have to email him.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

12. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Lovino

the above is the best I have. Hes wiggly and I dont want to restrain too much. I have sent emails to him myself... I just cant afford the meds. I have asked my family for help paying, but they have this mind set of "its just a frog." So im alone in this.... I would greatly appreciate any help, but couldnt ask you to spend that much.

Nationality
    [United States]

What did Dr. Frye recommend? SSD and Baytril? Metronidazole?

15. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I apologize, I read so many posts, it's hard to remember them all.

17. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Lovino

He never got back to me. I sent to him, Tuesday. Before that I sent before memorial day, before the lip injury and he said "Other than the foot, the skin doesn't look too bad. You could try the formalin- malachite green soaks again, but I would strongly recommend treating all three wounds with Silversulfadiazene." I replied back asking how much I should dilute the formalin- mlachite green soaks, because I am using fish tank formula (formalin- malechite green is the only active ingredients in what im using), which doesnt list how much is in it. I have been using the fish tank amounts, for a 5 minute soak daily.

I waited for a reply on how to dilute it, and never received one. He isnt getting back to me at all....

Nationality
    [United States]

Weird. Ok, I'll call them tomorrow.

20. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Lovino

I'm sure I just got missed. ^^;

I put a cricket in with sage (hurt frog) before giving him a soak. I watched for awhile and he didn't eat. So, I made sure I had the paper patted down so the cricket couldnt hide under it, and the top secure so it couldn't escape. I figure Sage might not eat since I'm there, and I'm pretty sure I scare him now. So I came back later, and the cricket was gone. When I went to clean the tank, it was not in his cups, water, or paper. So I think Sage ate the cricket, but theres a chance it escaped somehow. However thats doubtful, so I'm sure he ate it.

Nationality
    [United States]

At this time I would go with stronger antibiotic like Silversulfadiazene. Repeating the treatment that failed (formalin-malachite green soaks) is probably not going to work well . Also, please ensure there are no sharp decor were frog could injure itself in tank.

Another option is to get Maracyn Plus (effective against gram + and - bacteria) at your local pet shop fish section and treat frog with it. Just follow the bottle's directions; but be careful you do not overdose. What I do is prepare a gallon of treated dechlorinated water and use it to replace the whole volume in the frog's enclosure water section as needed. That way the frog is exposed to medication all the time it's in the tanks water. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

23. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Lovino

Ill try maracyn if I can afford it. Thank you for the suggestion!

Lovino

I havent been able to get the maracyn (yet), but i have been using the formalin-malechite green and neosporin. I think I see improvement, they definitely look more pink, and havent gotten larger or deeper.
    Name:  IMG_3667_zps1c7cca16.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  33.5 KBName:  IMG_3654_zpsa0a61be3.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  49.3 KB

I dont know why that first image is so large...

Nationality
    [United States]

The wounds do look better

Lovino

I just feel like slamming my head into the tank atm! When Sage seems to get better he starts getting worse again! Now hes head tilting to his right (the side of the injuries). I could post images, but its just him tilting his head....He also swims in a corkscrew motion in the water, i noticed when I went to soak him with his medicated soaks. I didn't soak him, in fear of poisoning him. (formalin-malechite green)From some research I did on it, and from prior bio knowledge, it could be spinal injuries, ear infection, or from bacteria. given his lip and foot, i would assume bacteria.I have to make the trek to the side of town with the pet store tomorrow, I was already planning to pick up maracyn plus. Will it help now, if I do? and generally how much is it?

Nationality
    [United States]

Unknown to me; it appears Sentry (bought Mardel, maker of Maracyn) has stopped production of those products . When available; the Maracyn Plus bottle was around $10.

Another option is to check local store for the medications Dr. Frye recommended. Also, could try a pond bacterial antibiotic, those are normally frog safe.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information