Thread: Hi everyone.some help with african dwarf frog care please)

Olga122

Default Hi everyone.some help with african dwarf frog care please)

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and a new frog owner)) i have successfully owned and own fish but having some trouble with my 2 new African dwarf frogs.firstly, I have been told they are really uncomfortable with filters so they do not have one in their own 5 gal heated tank.i have been doing daily 50% changes with treated water and a siphon but it doesn't feel right not having a filter.is there a quiet,not extremely expensive filter I can use , with a pre filter ?another question is feeding.i hand fed them with tweezers once successfully in the 3 days I've had them.is there an easier and a more efficient method?any advice would be greatly appreciated)))thanks

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hi everyone.some help with african dwarf frog care please)

Welcome to the forums! I suggest you swing by aquatic frog section, there should be bunch of people who can help you!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey Olga,how you doing?to sort of answer your questions,I've kept dwarf frogs in both filtered and unfiltered tanks.the one I had that lived the longest was in an unfiltered tank.its up to you,inside corner filters or a small canister.you also don't need a heater,they do great at room temperature.50% changes a day is to much.2 frogs in a 5 gal. tank is not a high bio load,depending how much you feed them,but 25% changes a week is good.you could also just drop some frozen bloodworms in the same corner of the tank,they find it and learn what corner to go to for food.

Tank Girl

Hello!

My ADF tank has an awful under gravel filter built in that would extremely tricky to remove and replace. I was told to go ahead and use it anyway and the frogs have been getting on fine for almost two years now. If they are ok with that, I assume they will be ok with most filters.

To feed I use a turkey baster to squirt the food onto a little plate in the tank. It keeps things a little tidier than other methods I've tried. Also, if I know one frog didn't get much food the last time, I can use the baster to direct food down to a particular frog (if the others don't see me doing this first, hehe). I have one frog that will often get there first and eat the lot, then if you put a bit more in for the others, it will come back and eat that too bless..

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF ! A small established corner filter or foam filter driven by a slow flowing air pump (use a 3 way valve to vent excess air out to atmosphere) should work out fine with ADFs.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information