Thread: Should I feed an ADF to an ACF?

Chunky Monkey

Default Should I feed an ADF to an ACF?

I really want to give my frogs some live food and some people say to not get fish from the petshop because of the possibility of them having parasites. However, would it be a good idea to give them a small frog like an ADF? I did it once before to no ill effects but I would like to know of any risks that might have.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Should I feed an ADF to an ACF?

Oh,THAT'S just wrong! Feed it live worms.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

African Clawed Frogs, like many frogs absolutely do eat other frogs and tadpoles, and for that matter anything they can get into their mouths which looks appetizing. That being said ADFs are a great way to introduce disease to your ACF, since ADF sold in pet shops are typically *not* healthy.

Feeding ADF to ACFs won't win you many friends on the forums as it is considered cruel to feed captive frogs to other frogs.. (and I would agree with them).

5. 3 members thank mpmistr for this post:

Tank Girl

That really upset me to read you've already done it before

Earthworms, crickets, ghost shrimp and feeder fish are the only live foods I've seen reccomended for them. I've heard of people giving them pinky mice if you want to watch them eating something more gross. Please don't experiment feeding them things just for amusement though, make sure they're getting a balanced diet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Tank Girl View Post
    That really upset me to read you've already done it before

Earthworms, crickets, ghost shrimp and feeder fish are the only live foods I've seen reccomended for them. I've heard of people giving them pinky mice if you want to watch them eating something more gross. Please don't experiment feeding them things just for amusement though, make sure they're getting a balanced diet.
    Just bypassing the morality of the issue (since I assume most of us like frogs and don't want to see them used as feeders), an african dwarf frog is basically a light snack to an ACF and they are typically $2 to $3 dollars.. considering you can buy a can of reptomin that lasts forever for about 6 bucks.. the only reason to feed an ADF to an ACF is because you enjoy seeing your frog eat live food.. which obviously your desire for this could be satiated with more economical (and humane) choices.

When you can get 18 nightcrawlers for $3.25 which are highly nutricious for your frog, I fail to see how feeding a $3 african dwarf frog makes any sense.

Chunky Monkey

Of course I would rather give them feeder fish or nightcrawlers to them but I don't really know where to obtain them... I'm not a big fan of buying live food or the like online and I don't think the local petsmart has nightcrawlers, and I heard not to buy feeder fish like guppies because they have a high chance of having parasites The reason I want to give them live food is because obviously that's what they would do more in nature, and it would be more interesting to watch.

Chunky Monkey

And wouldn't worms have parasites too? From all that moving around in the dirt collecting debris and such?

Edit: And oh, would it be possible to develop somewhat of an immunity to bacteria that the frogs can carry such as salmonella, since I handle them quite frequently and often I forget to use soap and occasionally forget to wash my hands entirely?

Nationality
    [United States]

Walmart sells night crawlers which I'm pretty sure are chemical free. Earthworms and other invertebrates of that nature are the only things i recommend giving to your frog live. I certainly think that feeding an ADF to your ACF is uncalled for and inhumane. Also, ADFs are much more likely to have parasites
    which may harm or potentially kill your frog. ACFs and other aquatic frogs should never really be handled ever. Use a net or some other container to scoop them up when feeding.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey View Post
    Of course I would rather give them feeder fish or nightcrawlers to them but I don't really know where to obtain them... I'm not a big fan of buying live food or the like online and I don't think the local petsmart has nightcrawlers, and I heard not to buy feeder fish like guppies because they have a high chance of having parasites The reason I want to give them live food is because obviously that's what they would do more in nature, and it would be more interesting to watch.
    Feeder fish are worthless and Petsmart/Petco sell the same worms as Walmart except at a huge markup..

My frogs mostly eat nightcrawlers sold at Walmart, 18 large worms for $3.25, buy these. They've been on this diet for years with no signs of illness. I supplement their diet with reptomin, tilapia filet chunks, frozen foods such as large mysis shrimp, and crickets as treats. This diet is much healthier and cost effective than feeding adf to your acf.

Feeding crickets is actually highly entertaining, I just dump a few in and they pluck them from the water surface.

Tank Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey View Post
    Your tank is not nature, it is a captive environment. In nature, the ADF would have stood a chance of getting away, for a start. I keep them as pets, they are intelligent (and adorable) creatures. It would have been terrified to be chased down and eaten alive with no chance of escape. You'd be better off trying to replicate a natural environment for them using plants or something.

I'm too squeamish to feed live prey - I've heard live worms are particularly nutritious to frogs, but I'm not sure I could go through with watching something be eaten alive when there are so many food alternatives.

Just curious as I obviously haven't tried it, but what is wrong with buying live food online?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Tank Girl View Post
    Your tank is not nature, it is a captive environment. In nature, the ADF would have stood a chance of getting away, for a start. I keep them as pets, they are intelligent (and adorable) creatures. It would have been terrified to be chased down and eaten alive with no chance of escape.

I'm too squeamish to feed live prey - I've heard live worms are particularly nutritious to frogs, but I'm not sure I could go through with watching something be eaten alive when there are so many food alternatives.

Just curious as I obviously haven't tried it, but what is wrong with buying live food online?
    why don't you try frozen bloodworms. They are pretty nutritious as well. And no icky worm touching required!

Litoria
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes

Tank Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    why don't you try frozen bloodworms. They are pretty nutritious as well. And no icky worm touching required!
    I feed these and don't even mind touching them! (anymore)

I may try feeding a live worm in future (my ACF is too small at the minute anyway), but I'm going to be screaming all the while I do it. I should film my reaction and put it on Youtube

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Should I feed an ADF to an ACF?

Let's all be respectful here plzzz.

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

Nationality
    [United States]

i would recommend getting a 5 gallon tank and putting a male and two females in with him then also getting some java moss in with them and the guppies will breed and if you keep them healthy there should be no parasites in your new fish.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well oh well... the mods are here . So I'm closing this thread and deleting a couple posts because this is a family frog lover site; thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

18. 2 members thank Mentat for this post:

Thread Information