Thread: American toad housing compatability

delightfulpetrichor

Default American toad housing compatability

Hello everyone!
    We currently have a small female eastern American toad (my daughter named her Mia). Can they be housed with grass frogs of about the same size? I know they have different needs, since one is a toad and one is a frog, but they live in the same area near my home. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

limnologist

Default Re: American toad housing compatability

they should be perfectly compatible

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wouldn't say that they're "perfectly compatible." As far as I know, "grass frogs" in the US can be applied to multiple species of frogs. Knowing exactly what species would help make a better determination here. I personally would not recommend housing them together. They may be found in the same areas outside your house, but I highly doubt they're found inches from each other for long periods of time. You will be stressing them, which will cause them to release conflicting toxins that can make the other one ill if the stress alone doesn't do it. Not to mention, American toads can grow pretty quickly, and depending what species of frog you have, could end up outgrowing them and eating them. If you're talking about Pseudacris ocularis, (sometimes called little grass frog) that will surely happen. Tank size and exactly how it's set up can make a difference too. If you're set on keeping the found toad, I would get it a ten gallon tank and house it on its own.

In my yard, I can find grey tree frogs, american/fowler toads, leopard frogs, and green frogs (R. Clamitans,) spring peepers, and bullfrogs feeding/breeding/soaking in the same areas, but that doesn't mean they can be housed together safely.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Default American toad housing compatability

Agreed. The only thing you should be adding to your toad's tank is another American toad that has been quarantined first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

limnologist

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    I wouldn't say that they're "perfectly compatible." As far as I know, "grass frogs" in the US can be applied to multiple species of frogs. Knowing exactly what species would help make a better determination here. I personally would not recommend housing them together. They may be found in the same areas outside your house, but I highly doubt they're found inches from each other for long periods of time. You will be stressing them, which will cause them to release conflicting toxins that can make the other one ill if the stress alone doesn't do it. Not to mention, American toads can grow pretty quickly, and depending what species of frog you have, could end up outgrowing them and eating them. If you're talking about Pseudacris ocularis, (sometimes called little grass frog) that will surely happen. Tank size and exactly how it's set up can make a difference too. If you're set on keeping the found toad, I would get it a ten gallon tank and house it on its own.

In my yard, I can find grey tree frogs, american/fowler toads, leopard frogs, and green frogs (R. Clamitans,) spring peepers, and bullfrogs feeding/breeding/soaking in the same areas, but that doesn't mean they can be housed together safely.
    I may have made an over statement. What I should say is that as long as the toad and the frog are the same size and you're sure you can take care of both their needs it shouldnt be impossible.

7. This member thanks limnologist for this post:

delightfulpetrichor

Okay, sorry for two reasons. One, I said grass frog when I meant green frog. I had been reading about grass frogs and apparently had that stuck in my head. And two, I should have been more specific about species. The green frogs found in my area are Lithobates clamitans melanota, I believe the common name is just northern green frog. From everything that I've read on them they top out in growth about 10 cm, with our eastern american toads reaching around the same size. Our toad is around 5 cm tip of nose to end, and most of the green frogs I've seen around our property (the adults) are about the same size, maybe a cm or so larger.

Anywho, I totally get that even though they're found in the same area they're not necessarily always side by side. However, there's such a small permanent source of water on our property they really are side by side. I've come across many toads and frogs sitting in the same 3 foot area at night.

I really appreciate your all's input! I'm probably going to leave our toad by herself for a while. If I'm able to get one of the green frogs I may see how they do together and make an assessment from there. Thanks again!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They have different needs...green frogs need a larger water area while toads need very little. The brief time I had green frogs, I made sure there was a big enough area for them to swim in. The toad could drown in that. The toads will only go to the pond during breeding season, so they are not together long term. You will pretty much always find the green frogs in the body of water, unless they make a move to a different body of water, you will not always find them in the same area. That's why I specified "long periods of time" not just overnights during breeding season.

If you have a massively huge tank, where you can create a decent sized water area for the green frogs and have a completely different habitat on the other end for the toad, and plenty of branches in the water area for them to easily get out, it's *possible* but still not recommended. A temporary "trial" type assessment isn't going to help much either, it could be a year before the effects of stress and toxins are noticed.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

http://www.frogforum.net/toad-care-a...pelobates.html

Meet the Green Frog
    Meet the Green Frog
    Meet the Green Frog

Read all 3 parts of the green frog care in order to learn how to meet their needs. One of the biggest issues is difference in the moisture they need to thrive and whether or not a swimming area that you need for the green frogs will be safe for the toad...which is unlikely.

I'm not saying any of this to be mean or to chastise you, I'm saying this so that your animals have the proper care.

delightfulpetrichor

Oh no, I get it! That's why I asked here for advice And, that all makes sense. I have a pretty large tank that I can use, but frankly it would be a pain to get it out and get it set up. It's a 60 gallon. I appreciate your input, and will definitely be putting those pages on my to-read-list. Thanks!

Thread Information