Thread: odd grey tree frog behavior

saintnoir

Default odd grey tree frog behavior

hello all new to the forum but i have been a frog fan for a bit.
    I have a really odd grey tree frog question.My girlfriend really wants to get some poison dart frogs,but i wanted to get her used to a more ..forgiving tree frog first ( i have only had pacmans never tree frogs..love the fat buggers).So i got her a pair of grey tree frogs,being in New England and them being native there a bit more forgiving in there care.So we have two Farnsworth and miss Hoppy,Farnsworth has a normal frogs behavior he watches me when i change there water,doesnt like being moved for cage cleaning but is fairly mellow..Hoppy on the other hand shows two odd habits.When im filling there water or doing anything in there cage theres a 50/50 chance she will climb onto me and chill..not a bad thing but odd.
    Its the second behavior that has me confused.I also have a cat and three ferrets,all rescues the cat is timid as hell the ferrets are bared from the room as i don't want there curiosity stressing the frogs,but carpet sharks being the little escape artists they are will at times get into the banned room.
    Hoppy ignores the ferrets but if im doing anything with the frog cage and the cat is in there Hoppy will try to escape to attack moochie the cat i would normally video it as watching a grey tree frog chase a cat is funny but i dont want to take the risk of the cat getting sick of it and attacking the frog..has anyone ever seen such odd aggresssion

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: odd grey tree frog behavior

My grays regularly jump on my hand when I put it in the tank for any reason. I think they see it more as the hand that feeds them so they're glad to hop on it.

As for the behavior with the cat, I have no clue. My frogs have never even appeared to notice the cats or vice versa. I have one frog who tends to be aggressive when food is involved, she guards the crickets and bites at the other frogs when they come near. So I feed her separately from my other grays, but that's the only aggression I've ever witnessed in them.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Try and capture a video of it. Would love to see that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

saintnoir

Default Re: odd grey tree frog behavior

i cant really take the risk..mind you its hilarious to watch but i could never forgive myself if hoppy got hurt

chibikaie

I've generally found that aggression crosses all species barriers, especially territorial aggression. For the most part, they really don't care how big the other animal is or if it's something that would normally eat them - trigger their "kill all intruders" instinct and yup, they'll go after anything.

Thread Information