Thread: Fire belly setup

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Fire belly setup

A few weeks ago I watched a video of a guy who built a pool section for his fire belly toads with a section of plexiglass and 100% pure silicone. I tried it out and used a 36"L 18"W tank and the pool section was made 15".

The two firebellies I have certainly like it, in fact they spend 99% of their time there so is hard to feed them. I only once or twice seen them on the other side chasing a bug which I'm worried they are not getting them all. I shoo them over to land with a leaf during feeding but one just jumps immediately back into the water. Is there a chance they are going onto land during the night?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dustin Fife

Default Re: Fire belly setup

most likely. I have a similar tank mine has 17 inch water are and 17 inches of land I have 6 fbt they get real active at night when I turn on the black light. the first week or so after a major change mine tend to be timid except my coconut she a huge female that is supper active and totally unafraid, but my others tend to take a few days to adjust my other large female will only eat once maybe twice a week unless its maggots I wouldn't worry unless they are getting to thin my youngsters eat every day but my male and 2 large females only hunt when they are hungry or its their favorite, my tank the water is about 6 inches of water and a small dish on the land side as I have noiced they like to spend tme in water that isn't moving that might help to get them to spend a bit more time on land so they see the food easier or do what I do and show them the food before droping t on the land area that always gets my babies excited

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Fire belly setup

don't worry to much about the crickets. Some will inevitably drown, but that's life. The frogs will eat them even if they don't right away, sometimes they will even eat the crickets while they are in the water.

As for your set up, it looks pretty good, but i wouldn't have any exposed pebbles on the land side. If they are eaten they can cause impaction or death. Rather they should form a layer underneath the soil to provide drainage for whatever plants you want to use.

Thread Information