Thread: What's wrong with my toad??

Jessifer

Default What's wrong with my toad??

I don't know what's up with him and it's freaking me out. Can someone please help me? I've never seen him do this in the water before. About an hour after I recorded this he calmed down. He still scratches himself like a dog though and I thought maybe he was trying to molt but he's still in the water. However he scratches the same spot mostly. I dont understand and I'm really scared.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What's wrong with my toad??

Well, it does not look like normal shedding. Would check him for mites or any old skin stuck to it's body. If the latter; Zilla's Shed Ease or any similar reptile product could help soften the skin off. If mites, you will need to clean tank and either sterilize everything in it or throw it away while giving toad a bath to chins depth trying to drown those mites on it. BTW, that moss as substrate is an impaction hazard, recommend replace with Plantation Soil or EcoEarth mixed with dechlorinated tap. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What's wrong with my toad??

my advice is to take a look to see if there's any redness or any other skin irritations, broken skin, or skin thats partially shed. That should help to id the problem.
    Mites can be a real pain and love moist places you can usually see them walking around, check out some online vids of the biting/ nascent kinds, Springfield are ok to have.
    I did note kicking, puffing up and swatting around his head, seemed fairly consistent with shedding, but I'd definitely take a look to see whats going on.
    One more thought...you may want to try to widen and deepen your water bowl, it also may help him to really soak off his skin. I've got one toad that likes to stretch out and seemed to enjoy my dogs old water bowl lol

Thread Information