Thread: Animal information label

s6t6nic6l

Default Animal information label

I would like to place labels on a viv that shows relevant details about the critters that are in there like the scientific name, distribution map and a little info etc.

how do I go about buying, getting the software to create them or having them made up by someone?

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There are plenty of label making programs out there. In fact, I think ms office comes with a label making template? It's been so long since I had to use one that I forget. And labels for printers are relatively inexpensive at office supply stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

chibikaie

Distribution map might be tricky to get down to label size. Might want to shoot for an index card if you want that much info on there?

It sounds like a cool project, especially if you have plants and microfauna in the setup. Could make a little biotope presentation.

s6t6nic6l

Default Re: Animal information label

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    There are plenty of label making programs out there. In fact, I think ms office comes with a label making template? It's been so long since I had to use one that I forget. And labels for printers are relatively inexpensive at office supply stores.
    i'll look this up, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
    Distribution map might be tricky to get down to label size. Might want to shoot for an index card if you want that much info on there?

It sounds like a cool project, especially if you have plants and microfauna in the setup. Could make a little biotope presentation.
    the size of the info card is not such an issue as I can even go to A4 size showing a photo too of the critter and I would be able to get quite a bit of info on there too

Skelly98

I just write on the glass with a sharpie. Comes off with some soap and elbow grease.. Works great for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

chibikaie

If you ever need to get Sharpie off something, use rubbing alcohol. It'll melt right off with no effort. Very few permanent markers are alcohol-proof.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I don't use it for frogs; but find an electronic labeler handy to label my tarantula keepers with their scientific name and date of purchase.

For all the info you state; guess creating a large label sized document is probably the way to go. If you search the internet for "labels" there are many sites to custom build one. Also, there is a company named Avery that sells blank labels in major stores and then you can download programs to print on them. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

s6t6nic6l

I have created my own now by using just MS paint and quite pleased with them. got my own photos of a critter on each one with all info I need inc map to show localities and description notes to read about said critter quite simple really with this readily available program to use.

s6t6nic6l

whaddaya think

I have now made up some plaques to give some minor details like habitat, diet, description of and such like about the critters that inhabit the viv

each photo is actually one of the critters that are in there. these are an A4 size hung on the wall but would be nice even just sitting on certain vivs.

See, I think we all thought MUCH smaller when you used the word label. Lol

How many species mantella inhabit that tank??

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

s6t6nic6l

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    See, I think we all thought MUCH smaller when you used the word label. Lol

How many species mantella inhabit that tank??

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    the word I was looking for was plaques like in zoos and that and only came to my head today

two species in there.

it's summat to read if any guests take an interest in the viv
    Last edited by s6t6nic6l; May 13th, 2014 at 06:51 PM.

chibikaie

I must admit, I was wondering how big a tank this was if you were sticking several pieces of A4 paper to it.

Looks great!

s6t6nic6l

Quote Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
    I must admit, I was wondering how big a tank this was if you were sticking several pieces of A4 paper to it.

Looks great!
    I just went for the A4 for ease of use when designing, but now I have them all stored I could try the next A size down and that could look even better methinks.

oh, son & g/f walked in today and said they look good showing about the critters and said "where did you get them from" then told him to look at the photo's more closely

s6t6nic6l

Quote Originally Posted by s6t6nic6l View Post
    I just went for the A4 for ease of use when designing, but now I have them all stored I could try the next A size down and that could look even better methinks.

oh, son & g/f walked in today and said they look good showing about the critters and said "where did you get them from" then told him to look at the photo's more closely

the original plaques were too large being A4 in size and looked a bit over the top for this location so I have reduced them in size to an A3 size. looks more neater now esp' as there will be another one or two to be added here showing two kinds of fruit beetles that I have as grubs at the mo'.

if you too have labels/signs/plaques for your viv please exhibit them here for us to admire. I know there are some great info cards out here that are very professional looking for giving the details about the occupants that we keep

Thread Information