missclick

Default Re: Fire belly toad gender

YouTube - fire belly toad eating a worm

my biggest fbt LOVES worms for an occasional snack

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

That was so cute! Definitely likes that worm. I wonder if I can find some smaller ones to feed my gusy?

missclick

i caught these worms in my mom's yard/woods the bigger ones i found are snacks for my Whites Tree Frogs and chubby frog but the little ones are for the fbt's

heres another video:
    YouTube - amazon milk frog eating

Jace

I love your little Amazon Milk Frog!! I have never seen one before but it sure is a gorgeous little one. Are they a type of tree frog? I think I am going to have to do some research on them. I have found some small worms in my backyard, but my city is rather pesticide loving and I am worried that the worms might be loaded with chemicals....I might have to check out my community garden and see if I can beg a few worms off of them.

missclick

yeah theyre tree frogs, i have two babies you could start a worm bin theyre super easy to take care of, its basically a big rubbermaid bin with dirt/newspaper and veggie scraps in it and you get to raise worms and compost all at once! i would keep it outside though they tend to stink. you could possibly get worms from somewhere that sells them as fish bait, but im not so sure where those worms come from either.
    Cheap and Easy Worm Bin!

Frog care gone Green!

Jace

Thanks for the info-I just might have to look into that. I buy large worms from a place that sells them as bait, but they are way too big for my little toads. And I don't have the heart to cut them up smaller. Now I have a new goal!! Lol.

missclick

i am going post crazy today haha, but anyways i finally took time to take some pictures of my fbt's so you can see the difference between male and female

this one is a male named RED, as you can see he has very rough pimply skin, and thick forearms

this one is a female named BLACK and she has much smoother skin, thinner forearms (hard to tell kind of in this pic) and longer toes

i tried to get pictures of the pads on the male's feet but he was not cooperating at all
    i hope this helps you all

Jace

Hmmmm-I'm going to have to have a close look at my toads and see if I can see the difference. I love the longer toes!

Toadz

Another way to tell is the males are usually more brightly colored than the females.

Kurt

I would not rely on that.

Rocko

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but I was told by someone you can identify males from females based on the vent area, rounded being female and pointed being male. I was wondering if there was any truth to that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information