Thread: School frogs

Arcfixer

Default School frogs

Howdy.

Yesterday was the last day of kindergarten for our boy Christopher. As we loaded him into the car, his teacher's aide, Ms. Eva, stopped us and asked us if we wanted a couple of frogs. I didn't. We've got a yard full already. I like frogs. Just never thought about having one of my own. Anyway, we went in to get the frogs, and I was expecting something pretty ordinary. Instead there were two exotic looking specimens with small red eyes, complete with aquarium, filter pump, lid, and a box of frozen red mosquito larvae.

A photo of one of the frogs is attached. Could someone tell me what kind of frog this is?

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Attached Images Attached Images  

Kurt

Default Re: School frogs

Its an albino African clawed frog, Xenopus laevis. Its totally aquatic and fairly easy to care for, especially if you have ever kept fish. They will eat a wide variety of foods. Anything you feed tropical fish you can feed these guys. Avoid housing tropical fish with them because they will eat them too.

Welcome aboard

Arcfixer

Howdy, Kurt.

Thanks for your reply. Seems we have inherited a female and a male. Figured they must be pretty hardy and easy to care for. They survived a year in kindergarten class.

Lee

Jace

Welcome to the Forum! These frogs make great pets--they can have very distinct personalities and will come to recognize you and anticipate feeding times. They are very hardy and will eat a variety of food that keeps them plump and happy. I hope you enjoy them!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Arcfixer View Post
    A photo of one of the frogs is attached. Could someone tell me what kind of frog this is?
    Welcome to the forum!

The frog in the picture is a female. Females have a swollen cloaca or vent. Males will have nuptial pads, these are blackened, rough patches on the fingers that look like gloves.

As mentioned, these frogs are very hardy. It is very important to have clean, treated water. I like using Stress-Coat to condition the water. It is available at pet shops everywhere. The frogs have a slimy coat on their skin which makes them very difficult to handle.

There is a forum for Aquatic Clawed Frogs that has a lot of information on their care, please check it out!
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Arcfixer

Thanks, Jace, Adrian.

I checked out the ACF forum. Some good info there. So far, the frogs have been very entertaining. Especially at feeding time.

Lee

Kurt

Who's Adrian?

Arcfixer

Howdy.

It was a senior moment. I meant Terry, but I picked up the name "Adrian" from his quote.

Lee

Kurt

OK now I understand, sort of.

Thread Information