Thread: Help with Grey Tree Frog please!

froggiemama

Default Help with Grey Tree Frog please!

We are new to having frogs as pets. About three weeks ago we found a female and placed her in a small viewing terrarium. After about a week we went to the local pet store and spent quite a bit of money on a large tall terrarium. She was doing great! She ate well and was a lot of fun to watch. Last Sunday we added a male to the terrarium. He is MUCH smaller than her. He hid for a couple days next to the small pond but then one morning we woke up and they were both in the cave. Yesterday I noticed that the water in the bottom of the terrarium was getting deep so we transferred both of them to the smaller terrarium and cleaned the larger one. I put all new (not sure what the stuff at the bottom of the terrarium is called) and placed the pond, cave, log, and greenery back in. They both jumped back in and perched on the log for a while. She ate and we went to bed. When I woke up this morning the male is up high on the glass and she is hidden under the "dirt" in the back of the terrarium, completely hidden. I know she is there because I looked through the bottom. I have called local pet stores but they are all clueless. Should I be worried? Is this a part of mating? Please help...Name:  20140507_202106.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  98.7 KBName:  FB_IMG_13995142081064176.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  97.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help with Grey Tree Frog please!

She is unhappy about something, my gray tree frogs have only burrowed once and it was when the temperatures in my tank dropped way too low once. Do you have something to monitor the temps and humidity? What is the size comparison between the frogs...female gray tree frogs will eat almost anything that moves. So if the male is too small, she could definitely eat him. That being said, I do house a female over 3 inches with a male that is only 1.5 inches without any issue.

If you can fill this out, it would really help us help you figure out what is going on -

1-size of enclosure
    2-# on inhabitants - specifically ( if there is another frog ---size differences ?)
    3-humidity
    4-temp
    5-water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6-materials used for substrate
    7-enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv
    8-main food source
    9-vitamins and calcium ? ( how often )
    10-lighting
    11-what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12-when is the last time he ate
    13-have you found poop lately
    14-a pic would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone pic is fine
    15- how old is the frog
    16-how long have you owned him
    17- is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18- frog food- how often and if its diverse what other feeders are used as treats
    19- about how often the frog is handled
    20-is the enclosure is kept in a high or low traffic area
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

froggiemama

12"w x 18"t there are 2 frogs a male and a female; he is smaller but she has not tried to eat him idk the humidity-I spray once a day with distilled water idk the temp we use distilled water for misting and soaking eco "something" came with the terrarium for substrate artificial greenery hanging, dried and rehydrated moss, log and stick perch are real main food is crickets just read about vitamins and calcium natural lighting we have not really been doing anything to maintain a constant temp, when it is cold we have a heating pad that is turned on under the terrarium there was poop in the terrarium when I cleaned it last night I included a pic in my original post of the terrarium and female I have no idea how old she is we have had her for about 3 weeks she was wild and caught so was he we have been doing crickets daily we do not handle them unless we need to move them to the smaller terrarium for cleaning and then it is just once, because they jump back into the larger on their own low traffic area

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

First, you need to get something to monitor temps and humidity. Without knowing what that is, we don't know much. It's possible that it was cold and she was trying to get closer to the heat pad at the bottom of the tank.

You might want to consider installing some kind of false bottom so you can drain the water out instead of tear it apart all the time. You can look through some of the vivarium threads to get an idea of what I'm talking about. I would put some strong branches in there so that they are more comfortable climbing on them. If you get some lighting, that can help maintain the temperatures a little bit and will be necessary if you ever decide to put live plants in there.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

6. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Thread Information