Thread: My Setup. (retf)

Default My Setup. (retf)

So this is my setup. comments? suggestions? things i could do a better way? just let me know. i would like to see your setups too. especially small ones like mine.

this is a 12X12X18 terrarium:

Name:  0169def9add3f44c45907d35462b914922484420dc.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  83.1 KBName:  01bcb22eb8643937ab89332756e8108573de736d1d.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  58.2 KB

so i have a 5.0 uvb fluorescent bulb as well as a halogen heat bulb. half of the floor is an eco earth/plantation soil mix with underneath some mesh and some hydroballs for lifted soil. there are some rocks seperating the soil from the other half of the terrarium that is water. there is a small pump that goes up and is formed into the styrofoam background. i know some of you would rather have it out but it makes it nice for the hose to run through. i have a piece of dense wood to catch the water and it makes a nice sort of waterfall. this keeps the humidity perfect during the day, however i have noticed that during the night when there is no heat lamp on, the humidity maxes out? do you know a way to fix this or keep the humidity down. im afraid if i use a night time heat lamp

1. the frogs will still see the red light even though they are "not supposed" to be able to see it

2. that the heat lamp will keep the temperatures the same that they are during the day. how important is it to keep a difference in day and night temps?

anywho they are all live plants. with some living moss and some dead moss on top of the soil. and i have two pieces of bamboo in the water. i change water every day by holding a cup under the pump and pitching as much as i can and then adding new. the pump does not have a filter. i figured if i changed it as regular as i could it would be okay. anywho he seems to run around in there at night and enjoy himself. kindly let me know what you think as i am a beginner here with these frogs. thank you

Name:  019cdcaab18ef1f2b6f80c7d78dc385d948d84a056.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  94.3 KBName:  01c15cb5207413f27d5f17a6b0c057537552930927.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  98.7 KBName:  0186a234db2d072f015465358e832be867981676c1.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  86.1 KBName:  01f81b257d18f3653f458567d0138a7b308be4291c.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  95.3 KBName:  015ca7815630cfcd6eb01200b79194501b8ee60be8.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  85.0 KBName:  0106509ddbd38dc098cb8edbd629ecf3daee2b0ab0.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  75.3 KBName:  015f4f3886e5c195db74f07f7e82c84bb5ef35bfd3.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  80.9 KB
    Last edited by Gomugomuking; May 6th, 2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: links to some pictures were dead

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My Setup. (retf)

It looks lovely, Harrison.

Everyone does things a little differently....It makes a big difference 'where' the tank is.
    Air conditioning and heat in the winter months will force you to modify things as needed.

I have a uvb bulb hanging 'near' my tree frogs enclosures....but not that close. I doubt it's doing anything. I actually have it closer to the moreletii ( black eye tree frogs) My tanks are tall.......36".....I need an additional heat source most of the time. I use regular base philips plant bulbs 75 watt ( home depot) in the winter and 13 watt led in the summer. ( all my tanks are in my basement... there are 36" fluorescent plant bulbs in the overhead fixtures)

I doubt you will - ever- get a 100% agreement on the need for uvb. I keep it handy for froglets.
    The is no doubt they are more active at night without the red light . My tree frog tanks are very , very 'bare bones'. No substrate no background. ( reason > cleaning )

They are not good swimmers......they will get very used to the water though, as long as they can get out easily and safely.
    I think your water change idea is really great ! Very handy for you as it's so important to keep the de-chlorinated water clean.

Funny story. I used to have an elevated area of water running in the red eye tank. I kept a pc of plexi floating in a 50/50. It was rigged so it would not sink or tip. They could sit right in the very shallow water on top of the plexi. I had the water pumping up through the middle of the plexi. It was pretty. However, I ended up removing it ... 1) because of the maintenance and 2) because the frogs use to sit in the water and go after the bubbles thinking they were food. Good gosh!

Red eyes are not the sharpest tools in the shed They bolt when they are startled....so those of us who keep them need to remember ..nothing pointy for them to impale themselves on. For example, we have seen some really bad wounds from the wire in fake plants! They will appreciate nice big flat leaves to sleep on. Mine love Dracaena leaves. They will enjoy your live plants !

As for the higher humidity at night...it's probably ok as long as it is well ventilated.
    I see you left the top all screen.....that's good......as long as the temps are not a problem for you . If the humidity becomes a problem---you could run a little fan. A computer fan , an aquarium fan ( electric on a timer ) or personal fan ( AA batteries ) . I use a double aquarium fan ( Fosters & Smith).
    I set in on the screen top ( area) between the 2 tree frog tanks in the summer. Most of the screen is removed from the top of mine though ( to help w/the heating needs). ALL of the screen is removed in the PDFs. ( all - replaced with glass) There are times( in the summer) I run a standing floor fan and let it oscillate. You will get to know exactly what you need to do to maintain things for the room your enclosure is in

fan:
    Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Cooling Fans

Have fun!
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Default My Setup. (retf)

I really can't add much more to what Lynn said, except for: nice job!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That looks really nice!!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

By maxed out. I mean my hydrometer is reading 99% in the morning when I wake up. There is the light enclosures that cover half the screen so only the from half is ventilated. Those exo Terra's also have small vents bellow the door. I will try a fan. I have a couple computer fans. I'll give them a try. I'll eventually be tring a simar setup an moving them into a 18x18x24. Anyways thanks guys. I'll check your pictures out too.

Default My Setup. (retf)

What kind of hygrometer are you using to measure humidity? Possibly it is reading incorrectly?

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

AnimalEnthusiast

That is very beautiful. I love all of it.
    The background wouldn't be a problem unless it were to mold or mildew, or if any of your pets managed to get stuck behind it. As far as appearances go, it looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    What kind of hygrometer are you using to measure humidity? Possibly it is reading incorrectly?

I was using a dial indicator but switched to a digital. It's in the last couple of pictures. I think it's right because the glass beads up with water too down around the bottom. And the styrofoam is tight. I have it fitted to prevent even crickets from going behind it.

Default My Setup. (retf)

Humidity will normally raise at night since you don't have the lights on, burning off some. But I find it highly doubtful that you actually have 99% humidity, especially with half the too being screen. Even in my sealed vivs, I only run about 94%. Could liquid water be getting inside the probe where it is located? From condensation maybe?

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Harrison,
    I don't think there is any more annoying, inaccurate, and unreliable piece of equipment than a hygrometer !!!!!
    If you ever find one that will not break-the -bank ...let me know

I have 2 ( exo - open probe ) in each tree frog enclosure right this moment that all display different readings despite nice even temps.

In the red eye enclosure ... one says 88% and the other says 58% and they are an inch from each other.

I removed them form the PDF enclosures.

Blow on it ! move it and see what happens ..... Hair pulling ! frustration.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Default My Setup. (retf)

Okay I got a new gauge. Everything is reading good. Marshmallow is croaking every night and morning. Saw him eat too, he really seems to like that enclosure. Meanwhile I'm working on a bigger one. Lol≧∇≦because believe it or not, I've decided to get more frogs! Is this all how it starts?

Anyway I managed to get a used exo terra 18x18x24. I've already bought some plants. ANSI have a piece of plexiglass I plan to silicone in as a divider on the bottom for a watered area. Something like the smaller one. I'm really a fan of those styrofoam pieces exo terra makes so I ordered one.

The tank has gone through a heavy and intense purification. (Previous owners were heVy smokers. It. Was so bad I had to rip out the screen and install new.)

Anyways, here are the plants. Anybody else have this size tank? How many retf you think I should keep?

Nationality
    [United States]

Great job on the tank Harrison!

I currently have 5 Reds in an 18x18x24. They don't seem to crowded, but I think 5 is to many. Maybe 3 or 4 in the tank would be better. We are currently saving up to upgrade the reds into a 24x18x36 or 24x18x24 eco terra tank to give them a bit more room.

The Reds love big leaves and lots of darkness at night lol. We keep all ours in the basement like Lynn. We tried keeping them up in the main part of the house, but hated how annoyed they seemed by even the TV being on.

And yes this is how it happens. We went from 2 Reds to 5 Reds, 2 Azureus, 4 Vents, and 5 Mantellas.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

14. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Default My Setup. (retf)

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post

I currently have 5 Reds in an 18x18x24. They don't seem to crowded, but I think 5 is to many. Maybe 3 or 4 in the tank would be better. We are currently saving up to upgrade the reds into a 24x18x36 or 24x18x24 eco terra tank to give them a bit more room.

The Reds love big leaves and lots of darkness at night lol. We keep all ours in the basement like Lynn. We tried keeping them up in the main part of the house, but hated how annoyed they seemed by even the TV being on.

And yes this is how it happens. We went from 2 Reds to 5 Reds, 2 Azureus, 4 Vents, and 5 Mantellas.
    Do you have three males and two females? That's what I want. Do you breed?

Default My Setup. (retf)

Would you mind posting a broad pic of your setup? Or is there one on another thread somewhere?

Nationality
    [United States]

We aren't 100% sure on the sex of them yet. 2 of them are clearly adults and the same size. 3 of them are still juveniles and it is still hard to tell what they are. I think the 2 adults are females only because we have heard no croaking. Of the 3 juveniles one is way smaller than the other 2, but he/she may also just be younger.

Here is a pic of their current tank. We like the way it looks but functionally it is a pain (hard to clean).

The Reds will climb own the glass and soak in the water at the bottom of the tank or in the water bowl on the land. We feed with from a glass bowl we put on the rock in the front every night and remove in the morning, but as I said we are looking to upgrade them and change things up a bit. I will do a build thread for it once we get going on it. Maybe a month or so before we are ready to begin.

18. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Default My Setup. (retf)

Thanks. That looks super neat. I wanted to see how full you had it compared to how full I'm making my tank. If 5 is a tight squeeze for you I don't think I could get 5 in the one I'm setting up.

I should start a build thread too. Let me know when you start yours I'll follow.

I have one that is definitely not an adult but already croaking. (1 5/8")

I wonder what keeps a male from croaking.

Nationality
    [United States]

We had all 5 of them in the ams size tank but with a spray foam background and spray foam on the sides. While they are sleeping the tank is plenty big. It's when they are up and crawling around it starts to seem small.

To answer an earlier question. We would love it if the Reds would mate, but are not currently encouraging them too.

Default My Setup. (retf)

I think I'll go with three. If the breeding thing takes off I'll look into a bigger space with 6 or seven. I'm getting really excited for this new build. Though it will simple, it's gonna be slow.

Default My Setup. (retf)

So I'm starting to 'build' my new tank. If you wanted to follow. http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=29420

Thread Information