Thread: Relocating a frog from pond to pond

linda12301

Default Relocating a frog from pond to pond

I have a young American Bullfrog that somehow has appeared in my pond a year ago. Our house is for sale and we've bought another house (in the same city) without a pond. I have 3 large old goldfish that I'll be making a pond for at the new house. Can I capture this frog and bring him with us to the new pond? I may mention that the current pond is really a large fountain that the previous owners had kept pristine clean with chlorine - I'm worried the next owners may eliminate the "fish pond" aspect of it and the frog will be left high and dry.
    Last edited by linda12301; May 29th, 2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: needed to add a few lines

Kurt

Default Re: Relocating a frog from pond to pond

The frog can move on by itself or you can bring it with you. I would kill it myself. Just to let you know, American bullfrogs are not native to California and are devastating native frogs such as the red-legged frog. This may sound heartless, but I would destroy it and every bullfrog I find in California. I would rather have red-legged in my fountain if I were you, than the invasive, large predatory bullfrog.

Of course if you follow my advice, make sure you can tell the difference between the bullfrog and the native frogs. I wouldn't want you destroy the natives, some of which are in real trouble. California Frogs and Toads On this list I = introduced species and F = expatriated species.

Thread Information