Thread: Mystery tadpoles.

SweetApples

Default Mystery tadpoles.

I was in a forest meadow and collected some tadpoles of unknown species today. I think at least two of them are frogs so I will post here.
    First I found I found swarms of tiny black tadpoles gathered in some puddles. Concerned that these puddles might dry up later in the season and these tadpoles might die then..I thought should I move these tadpoles or do the amphibians know best where to put them?. I collected some of these in jars and will move them into an aquarium. Whatever they are, they were newly hatched so it will take a while to find out what they are.

I had seen some frogs in the small pond near by on a previous trip there. I went to try and catch one for ID purposes. I saw their forms as they swam further into the center of the pond where I could not pursue them. I was unable to catch a single adult frog for ID purpose and it was starting to get dark. So far now I know I am looking at a medium sized frog. As I was trying to catch adult frogs for ID purposes, I managed to catch two larger tadpoles by mistake with my net.
    Once again they are unknown species, but I'm fairly sure they frogs/toads. They are brown and speckled. Going to setup a tank for them too, but not with the tiny black tadpoles.
    I will
    make another attempt next time to catch adult frogs for ID purposes( I don't want to catch the adult frogs to keep so they will be released right after I catch one).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SweetApples

Default Re: Mystery tadpoles.

Update: I found and caught a larger frog near the same pond. Seemed to be a large, female green frog. A lovely specimen of a frog with a plump fat belly. I held her for ID purposes and the released her again.
    I will be disappointed if my larger tadpoles turn out be green frogs as I was hoping for leopard frogs.

I still do not know what species the smaller frogs are. They hide underwater near the edge of the pond and then swim into the center of the pond when I disturb the area. Because they are hiding underwater, I am already assuming they are not toads.

Nationality
    [United States]

Any chance on a picture of the tadpoles?

well if they're black they may be toad tadpoles, possibly wood frog tads but it may be a little late for them

Thread Information