Thread: I'm stuck. Opportunity for new frogs, and no idea what to choose.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile I'm stuck. Opportunity for new frogs, and no idea what to choose.

There are so many frogs that I WANT right now. At the moment, I'm limited to one more tank. I have a 20gal-high that I'm rebuilding. I know it's not a lot of space, so I need a frog that's going to fit comfortably in there. So far, I have a background finished. I can't really complete the viv until I've figured out what I want though, as that will tell me which features that I want. I really need help deciding what would be a best fit right now...what are the pro's and cons in your opinion?

Here is what I'm looking at -

Blue Vietnamese tree frog (R. Dennysi) - I'm guessing that this tank isn't going to be big enough for two of these. I have also had trouble finding them at the local pet stores I have seen them at in the past. I also haven't seen any listed on kingsnake either, so as much as I love them, I'm thinking they're out right now.

Glass frog (Boophis rappiodes? seen a few names for these) - Love love love love love these. Always have. The problem is, I know they can be difficult to breed, but I think it would be a good project to work on. Considering I have zero experience when it comes to breeding though...I've never wished to breed my grays considering I can walk outside and hear tons of them and can't sell them because of Wisconsin laws, this might be over my head. I'm obsessive compulsive though and read info endlessly when taking on a new project, but that doesn't equal actual experience.

Golden Poison Frog (P. terribilis) -I love the fact that these are diurnal, can get big enough to take down small crickets (I hate dealing with fruit flies) and would be fairly easy for a first time breeder. My only issue is $$. They seem to run a lot more expensive than other frogs I'm looking at. Thinking it may be worth it when I reap the rewards of such a cute fun little frog. I also have ZERO experience with dart frogs.

Red Eyed Leaf Frogs (Agalychnis callidryas) - I have always thought red eyes were a beautiful frog, just turned off by the fact that the only activity will be when I'm sound asleep. My gray tree frogs will eat during the day, so we (myself and my kids) can all watch them hunt, even though they are still nocturnal. I like the fact that there are plenty of captive bred available, and even some different, beautiful morphs. Every time I see a pic of one, I think "oooo I so want one of those!"

I also love tigerlegs but prefer a more tropical viv.

Anyway, that is where I'm stuck right now. I've never actually PURCHASED a frog. My gray tree frogs were all given to me. My spring peepers were WC, no bigger than my fingernail. My toadlets were brought in with the children. It wasn't as if I was making a huge investment, other than the vivs, with any of them. The toadlets were probably the cheapest to raise considering they only needed a water dish, dirt, earthworms, and crickets.

Any input and experiences would be more than appreciated.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

samtheman

Default Re: I'm stuck. Opportunity for new frogs, and no idea what to choose.

you could start by releasing all you can back to its natural habitat. they will be just fine

as for other frogs. pacman, whites tree frogs, amazon milk frogs r cool

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Firstly, all I have right now are my 4 gray tree frogs. I've had them for over 3 years, and they all had previous owners before me. The fourth was a rescue, a nearly dead frog found in a basement that even an exotic vet said couldn't be helped. They are no longer acclimated to living in their natural habitat. They are all bowl fed and used to having their food handed to them. I could see them, outside, sitting on the edge of a bowl thinking "Any minute now, there'll be crickets here any minute now."

Secondly, when I collected the spring peepers and my kids brought home the toadlets, there were literally hundreds, if not thousands in the area. Wild collecting them did not impact their numbers. They were newly morphed, no bigger than my fingernail, likely wouldn't have survived the next 24 hours. If I had thought collecting them would have done damage to the ecosystem, I would have left them be. Every year, we still get hundreds-thousands of these hopping around our yard, I do not think I did any damage. Regardless, I do not have them anymore and am looking to get something new. I just talked about them so people understood my experience level when it comes to caring for amphibians.

I do not believe that a 20gal high will be large enough for a whites tree frog or two? I'm not really sure as I've never done the research on these. Pacmans are pretty, but they've never really appealed to me as a pet, I think mostly because there isn't a whole lot of planting you can do in the viv. I'd like to keep it to a tropical or subtropical level. I like the milky tree frogs too but am looking for something more colorful. I already have black and grey tree frogs LOL. That's why I made the list I did, frogs I truly love and really want, but would like experiences and input regarding them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Even though most people don't look for them because they're not really "exotic", american green tree frogs would do amazing in a 20 gallon high. They are small, arboreal (obviously), and are quite cute in my opinion. I just converted a 20 gallon high into a planted enclosure for mine, which I will soon post a thread on. Just a suggestion.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They are cute but I don't love them. I learned a hard lesson going frog and toad overload too soon into the hobby. I learned to only get what I'm truly excited about, as I don't have the space for too many tanks.

Thread Information