Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Eyed Tree Frog has dark spot that bleeds

Default Re: Red Eyed Tree Frog has dark spot that bleeds

Okay so the ssd I'm using is 1%. And the frog is still not moving. And hasn't ate since I got him(Friday). How do I get him to eat? Is the ssd strong enough, and should I consider giving him a pedialyte soak?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Red Eyed Tree Frog has dark spot that bleeds

Do you have a photo?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

You can do a plain pedialyte to water mix 1 part pedialyte to 10 parts water. Instead of stressing him. Use a dropper or small spoon and lightly drop some drops onto his back. You can do quite a few. We usually soak for 15 minutes. Drop away from his head.

Have you seen any movement at all? Is he breathing?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ooh I forgot about Dr. Frye when I was mentioning my experience with vets. Yes I heard very good things about him as he actually knows his stuff and keeps frogs himself I believe. However when it was mentioned to take it to the vets, unless you live near to where Dr. Frye is the best you can do is contact him and buy his frog aid kit.
    Red eyes are very hit and miss when they are sick. I have had ones that didn't eat and got those spots and died. Then I had some that got the spots but then survived with baytril treatment (i think it was at 2.5%) and lower humidity. I had one with bad nose rub that I 'rescued' from an expo, she was clearly an adult female and the only one that I could find there so I took her in hopes of healing her. I used neosporin and it healed a treat no scars or anything. Then when I introduced her to the main enclosure after 3 months quarantine some of the frogs got marks on them and blisters similar to the pictures in this thread. One of them ended up dying but he was 5 years old anyway (I've always been told they don't live much longer than 5 years) the other one was the one with the nose rub. I quarantined her applied neosporin to the blister kept her at lower humidity by keeping her enclosure dry so never misting it and it he healed up pretty quickly.
    Also if you want to do a pedialyte bath it is safer to make one yourself than buying one intended for human consumption as they have other unnecessary ingredients added that may not be good for the frogs. To make it yourself you just need aquarium salt (regular salt is ionized and had other things added to it to stop it from clumping which is harmful to frogs) and sugar. The recipe is 1 tsp aquarium salt, 2 tsp sugar and 500ml of distilled water. Boil some water and add a tiny amount of the boiled water to the sugar and salt to make a syrup then once its all dissolved and is clear not cloudy add that to your 500ml distilled water and stir it up. Soak the frog for 15 minutes in it. It's stressful to them but gives them an energy boost and might get them to start eating. You can try misting him with the mixture but for better results soaking is the way to go. The electrolytes in the solution don't last long so make a new batch everytime you soak the frog to get the full effect. I have had new red eyes not eat for a couple of weeks though so don't worry too much.

2.2.0 - Giant Waxy Monkey Frogs
    2.4.0 - White's Tree Frogs 1.3.0 - Red Eyed Tree Frogs
    5.1.0 - Uluguru Forest Tree Frogs 2.0.0 - Amazon Milk Frogs 1.2.0 - Tomato Frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Harrison ….. keep us posted. Hang in there We have ALL been in this situation to one degree or another, so we really understand and want to help.

I would bowl feed. You could let one or 2 crickets roam PLUS use a bowl. I would put small / fresh crickets in every night. I would calcium dust daily ( FOR NOW-ONLY). This will ensure he will get Ca with that first meal. I use these bowls:

Name:  photo (79).jpg
Views: 178
Size:  87.1 KB
    Bowls should be cleaned daily with the hottest tap water possible and dried. As we know it doesn't take much water for a cricket to look really disgusting by the next morning. yuck ! A FF search will find lots of post on this topic----w/ lots' of great ideas.

I feed all my adult tree frogs ( small crickets ) every night --- and move all the uneaten yuckies back to the cricket bin the next day to feed. I keep a separate cricket bin for each of 2 tree frog species. I never feed ( for example ) crickets from these bins to my P terribilis. It's an open invitation for the spread of all the 'issues' we read about trying to prevent. A little obsessive ? - maybe- but it seems to have worked very nicely for me. I have a red eye that was born in 2007-2008 ( ish ).

There is no doubt it - Red Eyes are very needy!
    There really should be more warnings - they are really not for beginners. When this is mixed with the fact that they are very available > then go to a person that might not have planned for the purchase, it often leads to problems.
    Good thing you were prepared.

A word about shipping frogs and dehydration - a little biology. I have a little brain so bare with me. Severe dehydration can lead to accumulation of lactate. This accumulation of lactate causes hypoxia ( def: “is a condition in which the body or a region of the body is deprived of adequate oxygen supply “ ) This can occur in all major organs including the skin. Their skin can breakdown very quickly. ALL frogs have some degree of de-hydration from shipping . Sadly, it is difficult to determine the severity of it. The unflavored pedi solution, or even de-chlorinated tap water is always necessary.

When I know I will be purchasing a new frog from a show, I bring a mini QT set up with me. The frog is transferred to it asap.

It’s no different for our sweet little ‘poster child' - the Red Eye Tree Frog. Re-hydration needs to take place quickly – it’s as important as the standard QT set-up. This and a nice long period in a dark and quiet spot will help. The QT set- up helps to facilitate this.

Their skin is so fragile. ) So handling should happen only when absolutely necessary. Damp/ disposable gloves should be used ( non-latex- and powder free). Like Heath, I use the dropper method- only when the frog is sleeping. If the frog is sleeping on a leaf ( even better !) stand there for 15-20 minutes ( a few times a day ) holding the leaf in the shallow bath.

Yup , you are now late for work. Tell your boss it was more important to “ soak your frog” they will be fine with that- I promise ! Then you can join the rest of us crazies

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

7. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    You can do a plain pedialyte to water mix 1 part pedialyte to 10 parts water. Instead of stressing him. Use a dropper or small spoon and lightly drop some drops onto his back. You can do quite a few. We usually soak for 15 minutes. Drop away from his head.

Have you seen any movement at all? Is he breathing?

Only moves when when I pick him up to medicate under side. Other than that he stays perfectly still. He is breathing though. He just stayed in the same spot the whole night and all day yesterday.

So some are saying soak and some are saying droplets. How should I get the pedialyte to him?

Nationality
    [United States]

I soak when they are alert enough to get out if the water in their own and droplets when they're too weak to climb out. Use a dropper or a needless syringe for droplets.

Nationality
    [United States]

I soak when they are alert enough to get out if the water in their own and droplets when they're too weak to climb out. Use a dropper or a needless syringe for droplets.
    I agree.
    Drops several times during the day -- while he is sleeping.
    An 8 oz baby bottle works really well- makes for easy mixing.
    It gives them a gentle little squirt when you squeeze it.
    Easy to aim and keep it off their face.
    It doesn't wake them up. They never know it ever happened

Lynn
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Harrison,
    Just wanted to give you a bit of encouragement, as I sense you're feeling frustrated...
    Keep on with the advice you're given above, and with Dr. Frye at the helm with the right meds I'm hopeful your little guy will pull through. It takes time and patience.
    I bought my first pair of red-eyes the summer of 2012 (from a big chain pet store (to remain un-named ), one died shortly after. The survivor was doing well for a month or so, then when I was changing paper towels at the bottom of his tank I accidentally scratched him pretty bad on the eye and side of his body with a vine (sand paper type, don't use those anymore!). Needless to say, I felt absolutely terrible.
    This is clearly not what you're going through, but my purpose in telling you this story is so you get a sense of the healing process red-eyes go through...
    With the help of Lynn and Heatheranne, and Dr. Frye via email, my red-eye survived.
    It took about 6 weeks of SSD cream, metro drops, and pedialyte drops on his back, and when he didn't eat for several days, once of dropping a cricket in his mouth while he was shedding to keep him going..
    It was very frustrating to see very little improvement through those first few weeks, and seeing him get week and appearing as though he wouldn't make it. But he is still here today (nearly 2 years!).
    So keep up with what you're doing, you're doing great. Like Andaroo said, Red-eyes are hit and miss, but you are doing the very best for him right now...
    Good luck
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Thank you Lindsey, and everyone for the encouragement and knowledge. Red marks on his underside are almost gone today, and the marks on top are looking better for sure. Gave him some drops of pedialyte and continue to use ssd cream. I still don't have any baytril. He still looks really thin, his two bones on his back look like they are going to rip through his skin. I have a bowl feed set up as well as some crickets running around. I dusted them all. He did not touch the ones I put in there yesterday and still just sleeps. Tonight after I get back from a meeting I must attend I am going to drop some more pedialyte on him and hopefully it will stimulate him? I have been hearing the other one croak at night and in the morning. And he's eating. i cleaned poop on the glass so yay! now if we can get his buddy in the other room up and running that would be great. anyways thanks very much everyone. i will update as often as i can.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Gomugomuking View Post
    Thank you Lindsey, and everyone for the encouragement and knowledge. Red marks on his underside are almost gone today, and the marks on top are looking better for sure. Gave him some drops of pedialyte and continue to use ssd cream. I still don't have any baytril. He still looks really thin, his two bones on his back look like they are going to rip through his skin. I have a bowl feed set up as well as some crickets running around. I dusted them all. He did not touch the ones I put in there yesterday and still just sleeps. Tonight after I get back from a meeting I must attend I am going to drop some more pedialyte on him and hopefully it will stimulate him? I have been hearing the other one croak at night and in the morning. And he's eating. i cleaned poop on the glass so yay! now if we can get his buddy in the other room up and running that would be great. anyways thanks very much everyone. i will update as often as i can.
    Can Dr. Frye send you the baytril? If I remember correctly it's pretty potent stuff and must be mixed properly. I personally would only trust Dr. Frye or someone from his staff to mix it for me.
    The pedialyte drops will definitely help give him energy and that will in turn help him to hunt and eat! But if he gets too week, as mine did, you may need to try either force feeding or watching patiently with the lights off at night for him to shed and then discretely dropping a dusted cricket in his mouth when he is eating the shed skin... Of course I would wait until someone more experienced can walk you through the process of force feeding because it is pretty tricky and is very stressful on the frog. And we all know stress is not good.
    I would avoid handling him unless you have to get some ssd cream on his belly, so no soaks in a tub until he is a bit more perky - if at all. I only ever dropped the pedialyte solution on my red-eye's back and never attempted soaking as it is very stressful.
    Did I read correctly that he was shipped to you and he arrived only on Friday? If that's so, I would personally give him a little more time and just keep up with what you're doing.
    Poop is so exciting! Was it solid or loose? And this was the red-eye that appears healthy or the sick one?
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisnide View Post
    Can Dr. Frye send you the baytril? If I remember correctly it's pretty potent stuff and must be mixed properly. I personally would only trust Dr. Frye or someone from his staff to mix it for me.
    The pedialyte drops will definitely help give him energy and that will in turn help him to hunt and eat! But if he gets too week, as mine did, you may need to try either force feeding or watching patiently with the lights off at night for him to shed and then discretely dropping a dusted cricket in his mouth when he is eating the shed skin... Of course I would wait until someone more experienced can walk you through the process of force feeding because it is pretty tricky and is very stressful on the frog. And we all know stress is not good.
    I would avoid handling him unless you have to get some ssd cream on his belly, so no soaks in a tub until he is a bit more perky - if at all. I only ever dropped the pedialyte solution on my red-eye's back and never attempted soaking as it is very stressful.
    Did I read correctly that he was shipped to you and he arrived only on Friday? If that's so, I would personally give him a little more time and just keep up with what you're doing.
    Poop is so exciting! Was it solid or loose? And this was the red-eye that appears healthy or the sick one?
    yeah i only handle him once a day right now just to get the cream on the spots on his belly. i actually purchased him from a large reptile distrbutor that happens to be close to where i live. so he wasn't shipped. they arranged for me to come pick them up. but they were packaged in the deli cups like most reptiles are when they are shipped. and yes that was on friday. it was the healthy looking one that made the poop. if by loose you mean wet than, now. it looked like a dried cricket. same as they look when my geckos poop. how is poop suppose to look for retf's? the sick one has not pooped. yes i am looking into getting some baytril from dr. frye, but wont it take time to ship?

i know some of you were concerned about my enclosure set up. here is a thread with pictures i made on it:

http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...tml#post222172

i am concerned that the humidity is too high at night. im keeping a 66-74% in there during the day but at night it maxes out.

Here is the latest picture of him. Thi was taken at 9:20pm eastern time. 5/6/2014

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  67.5 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

What's the max it goes to?

Nationality
    [United States]

The spots are looking better. Now you've just got to get him eating. Continue the pedialyte tomorrow. Still offer food. If he doesn't eat soon you might have to gently force feed. The goal is to get him eating on his own though. We don't want to stress him more.

I work all day tomorrow but I'll try to stop in after work (usually late).

Keep up the good work!

What's the max it goes to?
    The hygrometer reads 99% when I wake up at 5 in the morning.

So guys... I checked on bee gee this morning... And I found a poop! And she had mived down off the glass into a corner with her eyes wide open. I counted two missing crickets. She looked like she had a fuller stomach. I think she's gonna make it! Thanks to all of your help. You guys definitely are to be credited with this. Will post some more pictures later this evening.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Gomugomuking View Post
    So guys... I checked on bee gee this morning... And I found a poop! And she had mived down off the glass into a corner with her eyes wide open. I counted two missing crickets. She looked like she had a fuller stomach. I think she's gonna make it! Thanks to all of your help. You guys definitely are to be credited with this. Will post some more pictures later this evening.
    That's super! He ( ? ) looks better

Harrison.......... BTW ... I put a photo of your other red eye up on Facebook
    Current Collection