Thread: Tree frogs vs Darts.

AnonymousDuck

Default Tree frogs vs Darts.

My question is, for those who have experiance with both tree frogs and darts, are there any pros and cons to one or the other, or can you even compare? I keep going back and forth on the two. The thing I like about darts are the colors. Any suggestions would be great.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tree frogs vs Darts.

I've thought about darts only because they're diurnal, where tree frogs are typically strictly nocturnal. My gray tree frogs will wake up for feeding, but otherwise don't move during the day, some won't even wake for feeding during the day, they have to be fed at night.

Yet I prefer being able to use more diverse and easily available food for the tree frogs. I hate having fruit fly cultures, and the worry of one crashing and where I'll get an emergency one if that happens. I have not gone into dart territory because of that, and only because of that. When I had spring peeper froglets, there were times I would end up calling around and waiting for responses because I had a failed fruit fly culture. With the tree frogs, I can use crickets, meal worms, roaches, and in a pinch, wax worms from the bait shop near my house. They don't like the wax worms as much, but they will eat them. Some tree frogs will even eat worms...not mine, but I haven't pushed it.

Darts are colorful and more active, but tree frogs can be beautiful too.

You could just start with one and eventually get another
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Fluffysmom

If you want darts, you will have to get proficient in fly culture. If you buy a good media from a company who sells flies you should b good. I've never had a culture crash from store bought media. It's cheaper to make your own but it takes trial and error to have success. I like that it's not as expensive to feed darts. I love them and couldn't be happier with them. Mine are active and visible all day. Very fun to watch.

I have had both, tree frogs and I am currently keepings darts. Most tree frogs are nocturnal while dart frogs are diurnal. I used to keep Red-Eye Tree Frogs and when those males started calling at 1:00 in the morning it would drive me crazy.

Dart frogs are so unlike any tree frog or toad I have ever kept. They exist so perfectly in the artificial environment that you create for them. This is why it is important to do your research and learn the proper way to create their enclosure and not skimp on anything. Before you even think about making your first purchase of anything be aware that this animal is going to cost you some money. The frogs themselves are expensive but all the individual components can really set you back. You don't have to get fancy with the vivarium it's just that there are quite a few things that go into the construction.

Do your research and don't rush into it. Remember that you need to let your vivarium grow in for at least 4 weeks. I have two Exo Terra's that I built up about 5-6 weeks ago in anticipation of some thumbnails that I still haven't bought yet. I'm still tweaking both enclosures, adding plants and moving bromeliads around trying to get them into just the right spot.

Fluffysmom really pointed out something important to remember...you are going to have to learn to culture fruits flies and some species of Isopods and springtails.

Don't become intimidated with the thought of getting into darts. You just need to learn how to do things the right way --- Good Luck!!!

One last thing. I noticed that you live in Sultan, Washington, which is just outside the greater Seattle area. For some reason there is a huge amount of dart frog breeders in that area. When I first started researching dart frogs that was the first thing I noticed, the large amount of individuals that kept and bred dart frogs. You'll have a really good support system and have close access to frogs and supplies and help.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Frog View Post
    I have had both, tree frogs and I am currently keepings darts. Most tree frogs are nocturnal while dart frogs are diurnal. I used to keep Red-Eye Tree Frogs and when those males started calling at 1:00 in the morning it would drive me crazy.

Dart frogs are so unlike any tree frog or toad I have ever kept. They exist so perfectly in the artificial environment that you create for them. This is why it is important to do your research and learn the proper way to create their enclosure and not skimp on anything. Before you even think about making your first purchase of anything be aware that this animal is going to cost you some money. The frogs themselves are expensive but all the individual components can really set you back. You don't have to get fancy with the vivarium it's just that there are quite a few things that go into the construction.

Do your research and don't rush into it. Remember that you need to let your vivarium grow in for at least 4 weeks. I have two Exo Terra's that I built up about 5-6 weeks ago in anticipation of some thumbnails that I still haven't bought yet. I'm still tweaking both enclosures, adding plants and moving bromeliads around trying to get them into just the right spot.

Fluffysmom really pointed out something important to remember...you are going to have to learn to culture fruits flies and some species of Isopods and springtails.

Don't become intimidated with the thought of getting into darts. You just need to learn how to do things the right way --- Good Luck!!!

One last thing. I noticed that you live in Sultan, Washington, which is just outside the greater Seattle area. For some reason there is a huge amount of dart frog breeders in that area. When I first started researching dart frogs that was the first thing I noticed, the large amount of individuals that kept and bred dart frogs. You'll have a really good support system and have close access to frogs and supplies and help.

Well said! Bryan
    Darts are not difficult.
    I believe ... easier than some species of tree frogs.

My first frogs were red eyed tree frogs - rescues ! They were very difficult to care for.
    It became easier over time.
    They are very beautiful.
    I still have 3 of my original from 2008-2009. One ( Ruby ) is a frail..... 'little old man'. He seems to go on and on
    I have A moreletti as well. ( black eyed tree frogs).
    I have always kept my tree frogs in bare-bones enclosures as they are so needy.
    I'm more attached to my tree frogs than my darts.

I enjoy my darts though.... more...... actually.
    The enclosures, the tads, the plants, their diurnal cycle, the colors........many reasons.

They are actually very easy to care for.
    Like Bryan said.... learn all about them first.
    FF cultures --- just a bit of practice. However, a schedule is very necessary !

We can help
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Tree frogs vs Darts.

I love both.

Are you up at night? Or a daytime person?

What kind of vivarium would you like to have?

These questions may also help guide you.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information