Thread: Toad's front leg, possibly broken, need advice

ryaninthesky

Default Toad's front leg, possibly broken, need advice

Hi all,

I have a Texas toad who recently fell a couple of feet and hurt his front legs. He was having trouble holding himself up for about a day, but he's eating well (gut-loaded and dusted crickets) and moving around. I'm not sure what to do with him as I don't have a herp doc in my area. Should I try to splint his legs? Tape them? Do y'all think it's a break or maybe they got popped out of place? Any advice at all would be helpful. Name:  IMG_6477.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  80.6 KB

Note, this is not his usual enclosure, he was just in here so he hopefully wouldn't re-injure himself right afterwards.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Toad's front leg, possibly broken, need advice

Dear,
    one of my Colorado toads also got an injured front leg 5months ago and is now 100% ok.
    Never went to a vet.

Just have patience, as long as he eats everything is ok, I'd say.

Love, olli

Jessifer

My toad's back leg was completely squashed. Almost flat as paper and he had to drag it when he tried to get away from us.That was when I took him home to nurse him back to health then set him free once he was better. That was the plan anyway until I read that you shouldn't release toads back into the wild. Anyway I just made him a suitable habitat, he ate lots of crickets, did his little soakie soaks and eventually everything got better. I didn't take him to a vet or anything. It healed on his own and even though he only has 3 feet, he's doing just fine. I don't think he can hop very well but he can certainly walk normally. I'm really no expert so you probably shouldn't listen to me anyway but I'd give it a bit and see if your little guy can function normally. If he doesn't get better or even gets worse after a bit then take him to someone. A broken leg is different than a squished leg.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Ive had a couple incidents of leg injuries, there's so many frogs and toads where I am they tend to get stepped on frequently. Anyway you can try splinting the leg, its not easy but I've seen pics and vids with minimal instructions on the internet that have had success. I had no such success with splinting but simply took the toad in, keep him in a very simple tank with paper towels, a shallow water bowl and a small plastic, opaque cup for him to hide in and fed him calcium dusted crickets then gave him time to heal. It took several months but he's completely fine and in the beginning couldn't use it at all and held it up or propped it up on things.
    he's now a permanent pet because he stayed with us so long but I had 4 others that accepted him well
    Good luck

Thread Information