Thread: Advice on American Bullfrog tank set up

Randy Schroyer

Default Advice on American Bullfrog tank set up

I'm planning to get a 40 gallon breeder tank, and this: Tetra® Viquarium Terrarium & Aquarium Filter | Filter | PetSmart

What do you all think of that? Are there any known issues with the pump / set up I should know about? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Advice on American Bullfrog tank set up

Randy, the 40 long is good for a bullfrog,but honestly I wouldn't buy that filter thing.the reviews are just alright,mostly for turtles.a bullfrog is going to get large and pretty powerful,its just going to mess everything up.keep it simple.a screen top,some large flat rocks and 2-3 inches of water for a big frog.forget a filter,you'll have to do water changes on a regular basis,big eater in,big exits out...also they can get crazy active sometimes and males can really make a lot of noise....

Randy Schroyer

Only 2-3 inches of water? I didn't realize that's all they needed. I was gonna give it 6-7 at the deeper parts. Glad I asked. I plan to keep up on water changes, as I like to keep the water clear as I can. Should I be running a filter while he's a tadpole?

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah, they don't need a lot of water,like to dive in or anything,just to sit in,when he's sitting,the level should be around his throat.the rocks are all put to one side,like a land area,above water level,but easy to take out.flat ones to sit on.keep in mind these frogs can go ape on you so keep it simple and indestructible.theyll try to jump out like crazy,among other things.ok..the water changes,good luck with that..no filter really for a tadpole.easy to take care of.low water level,do your water changes.feed them greens like lettuce and celery greens and algae.put a flat rock in with them also ,so when they start changing they have something to crawl up on..

Randy Schroyer

Well Ted, I did as you said, here's some pics. I decided to hit up Home Depo and get some bricks, as the pet shop didn't have the flat stones. The best they had was a very small and expensive turtle dock for $30. Those bricks were under $5. Gonna see about grinding a few of the extra ones I got into a slanted edge.

The tank has about 6 1/2 gallons of water in it. How often should I be changing the water, and how much of it should I change at a time?

Nationality
    [United States]

The bricks sound like they might work,just make sure of no sharp edges.i hate to say it,but you don't need the gravel,the frog can eat it,and or constantly mess it up,also the plant goes.simple,,a large bullfrog can go wild ,disrupting everything.just the bricks and a bare bottom for easy maintenance.now water changes,there's a touchy subject.your water can be perfect,but technically as soon as you put your frog in the ammonia starts to rise.in about 3-5 days,all your water readings can be on the money and the ammonia literally off the charts.youll be able to tell visually because the water will get cloudy and or a film will form on the meniscus surface.itll take up to a week...

Randy Schroyer

I see. When he turns to a frog, I'll remove the gravel. I had thoughts about using bricks with holes in them, plugging the holes with fake plants, and filling the holes with cement. Does he not need any hides?

Thanks for all the help.

Nationality
    [United States]

Randy,,don't fill the holes with cement,you don't know what effect it'll have on the water or frog.you don't need plants,fake ones might even hurt your frog.you have to cater to the needs of the frog,not really what you want.he doesn't need to hide,but still take "amphibian precautions" ,,i.e...like put him in a low traffic area,maybe where a cat won't stare at him all day.and use cardboard and box in the sides and back of the tank.a bullfrog isn't called that for nothing,but can still fall under stress.being so raucous and responsive,they make interesting pets,have real personalities..but are demanding....

Randy Schroyer

I was just aiming to make the tank more natural, like a pond. If a bare glass bottom and rocks is what works, then I can dig it. Thanks again

Nationality
    [United States]

Randy,,let me finish up,,some amphibians need a more natural setup,look at what those dart frog people build,those amazing and inspiring vivariums.but some animals ,because of their nature,require a more simple set up.a bare bottom tank does have its beauty,it just has to be appreciated.also..something like a bullfrog is a real obligation.if you decide to raise it,youve already stepped in it and have no choice but to take care of it the best you can,not this week or next month,but however long it takes with dedication on your part.you can't release him when you get bored or when he gets to be a handful.a frog has the potential to live a very long time.

Thread Information