Thread: Gray Treefrogs Disappearing!

Sere

Default Gray Treefrogs Disappearing!

I have (had) four Gray Treefrogs in a small 10g tank while I prepare a 20g tank for them and the tadpoles I have. Basically this tank has about 2-3 inches of sand on the bottom, about 6 inches of water, a live plant, a fake plant, and a magnetic log stuck to the side for the baby frogs to climb up on (and also for the four adult frogs to sit somewhere, but they usually hang on the glass sides).

The top is just a plastic top with two 15w lights that I don't use, and a small hatch in the back. I only ever open the hatch to drop crickets in for them. The top is also taped to the aquarium (more on this is a second).

One day, I noticed a frog was missing. I thought maybe he buried himself and didn't worry about it too much. The next day I found the frog sitting on the floor under the table the tank sits on. I figured he somehow pushed the top up, so I taped it down.

This was maybe 4-5 days ago. Fast forward to now, I am missing TWO frogs. One has been gone about two days, and another disappeared last night. The lid is secure, and has not been opened. The only holes are two little slits on the sides, measuring about 1 inch long by 1/4th inch wide. The frogs are easily the side of a large strawberry, so I can't imagine them fitting through there.

So, I was wondering where my frogs are going. Could they have squeezed through (like a rat) and gotten out? If not, could they be burrowed in the sand? I've read about them digging in dirt and stuff, but I can't find anything about them digging in sand, underwater. I would assume they'd drown. Also, could they eat each other?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Gray Treefrogs Disappearing!

To eat each other, they would have to be significantly different in size. I would replace your top, which sounds like a standard aquarium top, with a screen top. Tree frogs require good ventilation and they are not likely to escape when there is a screen top in place.
    Just to clarify things, the sand is under water right? Posting pictures of the enclosure will help a lot. Also posting your country and location in your profile will help even more in the long run.

Sere

Yes, the sand is under about 6 inches of water. They're all practically the same size, so I guess that rules out eating. I'm trying to find a top for my 20 gallon tank, which is all I'm waiting for before moving the frogs in (it's a more land-based tank, with branches and whatnot for them - they're really just stuck in the tadpole tank right now). Unfortunately, none of the 13 pet stores around here carry ANY tops for 20 gallon tanks for some reason unless you buy it with a new tank.

I don't have a camera to take any pictures, but I can "draw" the only openings on the top for you. This is pretty much accurate size:

-----
    |... |
    |... |
    |... |
    | ...|
    | ...|
    -----

I can't imagine them squeezing out through that. The only thing I can think of is that they're burrowed in the sand, but again I haven't seen anything that suggests that's possible, and I would imagine they'd drown after staying underwater for 2+ days.

Also, I'm in central Virginia.

Kurt

I severely doubt they are underwater. Most likely they have escaped. Petco and Petsmart both sell screen tops. And you can get them on-line as well.

Sere

None of the ones in my area do. I've checked four Petsmarts and 3 Petcos. They say they don't carry individual tops. Where's a good place to order online?

Kurt

Trust me they do. Petco has their own brand of tops. Look in the reptile section. Or here - http://www.petco.com/product/4357/PE...t=OnSiteSearch

Sere

I have. The manager has told me they don't carry those here unless you buy it with the tank. They only carry 10 gallon, 30 gallon, and 40 gallon lids. None fit my 20.

Skulldroog

Quote Originally Posted by Sere View Post
    I have. The manager has told me they don't carry those here unless you buy it with the tank. They only carry 10 gallon, 30 gallon, and 40 gallon lids. None fit my 20.
    That's just horrible convenience. Usually when I'm looking for something at PetCo/Petsmart and they don't have it, they usually offer to order it for me and call when it comes in.

Good luck finding your frog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sere View Post
    I...The only holes are two little slits on the sides, measuring about 1 inch long by 1/4th inch wide. The frogs are easily the side of a large strawberry, so I can't imagine them fitting through there....
    Hi, it seems to me like they might be able to squeeze through a hole that size. Sometimes mine will flatten themselves while sitting on a perch and it looks like they are no thicker then their lower jaw to the top of their head (sorry I don't seem to have a picture), so I imagine they can make it through a slot that appears tiny compared to their normal 'stance'.

You could get some window screen mesh and frame kit from home depot to make your own lid. Not a safe method if you have cats who like to sit on the tank though.

Tropicok

Sometimes a keeper needs to be very innovative when it comes to supplies. Is there a pet/fish/reptile store near you owned by an individual, not a big chain store? Often a shop like this takes in trades or buys outright from someone needing to sell aquariums with lids. Or go on Craigslist or to garage and estate sales. Examine them closely before buying especially the plastic ones. I never buy plastic tank covers now, only metal ones. If you ever buy pumps or lights, plug them in and make sure they are working before shelling out any cash.

Kurt

Also, I would add that ma and pa shops have a tendency to carry more sizes than the Petcos and Petsmarts of the world carry. I got my twenty-gallon extra high from Zoo Creatures. Petco doesn't even carry this size.

Thread Information