Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacman bone disease and calcium defeciency

limnologist

Default Pacman bone disease and calcium defeciency

So who thinks they know why so many pet pacmans get bone disease or calcium deficiency related problems so often?
    I shouldnt need to say it is rather uncommon for a frog in the wild to die from calcium deficiency or bone disease.

anyone wanna guess?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman bone disease and calcium defeciency

Maybe it is because due to the ease of the pacman frogs' care, many people forget to dust their food with calcium or give them UVA/UVB lighting.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

DesertHeat

Wild pacs eat a far more varied diet which allows for greater micronutrients uptake. Those in captivity on the other hand are generally fed a staple diet of whatever feeder is easiest for the owner to procure. Staple feeders, depending on gut loading, are generally not nutritionally complete. Which is why vitamin and calcium dusting is required.

Unfortunately most pet shop clerks are only vaguely aware of the care needs of the animals they sell so new owners may not receive the information they need to properly care for their new pet.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

5. 2 members thank DesertHeat for this post:

Hypnotic

DesertHeat pretty much summed it up. One of the most popular diets recommended by petstores is crickets, and crickets contain so little calcium, as a source of calcium they aren't worth feeding. Combine that with a lack or insufficient dusting, and your pet will get MBD.

Nationality
    [United States]

Desertheat has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Sometimes too much line breeding can cause genetic abnormalities or make them genetically predisposed to certain diseases such as MBD, but is mostly in part to a nutritionally lacking diet

limnologist

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    Maybe it is because due to the ease of the pacman frogs' care, many people forget to dust their food with calcium or give them UVA/UVB lighting.
    well....sure. but thats not what im trying to point out.

limnologist

Quote Originally Posted by DesertHeat View Post
    Wild pacs eat a far more varied diet which allows for greater micronutrients uptake. Those in captivity on the other hand are generally fed a staple diet of whatever feeder is easiest for the owner to procure. Staple feeders, depending on gut loading, are generally not nutritionally complete. Which is why vitamin and calcium dusting is required.

Unfortunately most pet shop clerks are only vaguely aware of the care needs of the animals they sell so new owners may not receive the information they need to properly care for their new pet.

also true, though if you handled things correctly, you could successfully raise a breeding quality frog on only three types of insects.

Im trying to get down to why we have to feed our frogs a calcium supplement. Im pretty sure there isnt calci-dust in their natural habitat lol

limnologist

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
    DesertHeat pretty much summed it up. One of the most popular diets recommended by petstores is crickets, and crickets contain so little calcium, as a source of calcium they aren't worth feeding. Combine that with a lack or insufficient dusting, and your pet will get MBD.
    crickets only contain very few vitamins because we don't nourish them correctly.

It is possible to raise a perfectly healthy frog on these three insects:

the cricket-

the mealworm- (and beetle.....I dont really count that as a fourth insect)

the waxworm- (or superworm since the fat content is pretty much the same)

everyone warns you not to feed these insects consistently to your pets due to vitamin deficiency, believe it or not, if you properly nourish the insects first, you need not any kind of vitamin supplement (as long as the frog gets some fresh sunlight of course)

limnologist

you see, mass producers of our pets dont care that much about the nutritional value of the animals food as long as the insects are alive and the animals are alive. Believe it or not, mass produced insects are fed on dung, rotted greens, scraps, and lots of brown materials (IE, leaves, hay, and even paper) all the food items have been genetically modified and all have high carbon value stunting the nitrogen uptake of the insects. The insects have very little nutritional value, striking belief that people need calcium supplements, vitamins, special food mixes for gut-loading the insects, and that the common pet store insects arent all that healthy for your pet. most of that is untrue to a large extent, "the key is the roots" you have to start with the food you feed to the prey, feed them fresh fruits and vegetables, maybe some fish for insects like crickets.

as long as the feeder insects are healthy, your frog wont need supplements. And even though you CAN use only three feeder types, it is healthy to vary the food items. get to know your pet, do your research, learn about it's natural habitat and its neighbors. the more you know, the more you can accommodate to it's needs and make it's diet more natural.
    If you live on a lot of land, take the advantage of a large natural supple of insects! (as long as your safe and careful about pesticides and parasites). If you have time, breed your own insects and feed them healthy fresh vegetables and fruits. It would be even better if you just so happened to own a vegetable garden and fed the insects from that too!

I've been keeping herps for 10 years, pacmans for six and ive never had any calcium problems, and ive never used any supplements. I breed and feed my insects (mealworms, waxworms, superworms, red-wigglers) a mix of garden grown and store bought carrots, apples, potatoes, bananas, oranges, blueberries, strawberries, and broccoli.

Hypnotic

I do breed my own dubias, I mainly feed nightcrawlers and dubias, with an occasional mouse or some other treats. Breeding crickets is out of the question, I think they are disgusting and require way too much upkeep, and would rather buy them and dust them.
    My feeders here are mainly fed oranges, apples, bananas, carrots and chicory, and always have acces to dry dogfood, because I've heard it's an excellent source of proteines. Crickets at times are often fed leftovers from my geckos enclosure. (crested gecko diet)
    I always have known gutloading is very important, but din'd know that it could actually replace supplements.
    My animals don't get sunlight, I only have nocturnal animals here, and I use TL lights to light up all my enclosures. While some people would argue with that, I strongly agree with the idea of nocturnal animals not requiring UVB or sunlight, but offcourse, I also supplement to make up for that.

13. This member thanks Hypnotic for this post:

limnologist

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
    I do breed my own dubias, I mainly feed nightcrawlers and dubias, with an occasional mouse or some other treats. Breeding crickets is out of the question, I think they are disgusting and require way too much upkeep, and would rather buy them and dust them.
    My feeders here are mainly fed oranges, apples, bananas, carrots and chicory, and always have acces to dry dogfood, because I've heard it's an excellent source of proteines. Crickets at times are often fed leftovers from my geckos enclosure. (crested gecko diet)
    I always have known gutloading is very important, but din'd know that it could actually replace supplements.
    My animals don't get sunlight, I only have nocturnal animals here, and I use TL lights to light up all my enclosures. While some people would argue with that, I strongly agree with the idea of nocturnal animals not requiring UVB or sunlight, but offcourse, I also supplement to make up for that.
    chickory sounds interesting. any story behind that? just imagine how it would work in the wild, the frogs would get all their vitamins and minerals from the prey they eat and the sunlight they recieve. stick to natural gut-loading and your good to go.

Hypnotic

I actually buy alot of it, since my prairiedog is fed almost purely on a vegetable diet, occasional fruit and supplemented with insects and seeds. So when I have some too much, I like to give it to the feeders.

16. This member thanks Hypnotic for this post:

limnologist

oh nice. yea i do the same, I feed my feeders the leftovers from my bearded dragon. I hate waste

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by limnologist View Post
    crickets only contain very few vitamins because we don't nourish them correctly.

It is possible to raise a perfectly healthy frog on these three insects:

the cricket-

the mealworm- (and beetle.....I dont really count that as a fourth insect)

the waxworm- (or superworm since the fat content is pretty much the same)

everyone warns you not to feed these insects consistently to your pets due to vitamin deficiency, believe it or not, if you properly nourish the insects first, you need not any kind of vitamin supplement (as long as the frog gets some fresh sunlight of course)
    All these are fine to feed. Mealworms and Superworms only need be sparingly offered not for reasons of nutrition, but for reasons of exoskeleton density. The chitin of those two larvae are undigestable and in large quantities cause impaction.

Crickets are just dirty feeders, but are fine as food for the frogs even if nutritionaly lacking. Even gutloaded tbey are severely lacking. They should be dusted with supplements even when gutloaded.

Earthworms and Night Crawlers are possibly the best and most nutritionally balanced food for them. Calcium to phosphorus balance is excellent. Very easily digested and accepted by most frogs.

Diet is a large part of developemental issues with young frogs, but is not the sole culprit. Extra nutritions should always be considered. Especially in the form of dusting.

19. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

My feeders get whatever my turtle doesn't eat vegetable-wise. Silversides also make a nice treat every few weeks for my pacman. They're a more concentrated source of protein than bugs, but don't have the high fat content and tendency to slow down the digestive tract that mice do. Plus, the strong smell seems to wake everyone in the room up. I can offer her a fish at any time of the day or night, and she's wide-awake and ready to attack the tongs.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

21. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

limnologist

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    All these are fine to feed. Mealworms and Superworms only need be sparingly offered not for reasons of nutrition, but for reasons of exoskeleton density. The chitin of those two larvae are undigestable and in large quantities cause impaction.

Crickets are just dirty feeders, but are fine as food for the frogs even if nutritionaly lacking. Even gutloaded tbey are severely lacking. They should be dusted with supplements even when gutloaded.

Earthworms and Night Crawlers are possibly the best and most nutritionally balanced food for them. Calcium to phosphorus balance is excellent. Very easily digested and accepted by most frogs.

Diet is a large part of developemental issues with young frogs, but is not the sole culprit. Extra nutritions should always be considered. Especially in the form of dusting.
    true, but I know people who spend big dollars to feed their pets anything but crickets, mealworms and superworms. they say they are too fattening, have too much chiton (which is slightly true), and can eat through a pet's stomach (still have yet to find a keeper who has experienced this).
    I find that wild crickets are very nutritional, though if your not careful you can spread disease or parasites.

yup there is absolutely no harm in adding supplements if you can afford them

limnologist

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    My feeders get whatever my turtle doesn't eat vegetable-wise. Silversides also make a nice treat every few weeks for my pacman. They're a more concentrated source of protein than bugs, but don't have the high fat content and tendency to slow down the digestive tract that mice do. Plus, the strong smell seems to wake everyone in the room up. I can offer her a fish at any time of the day or night, and she's wide-awake and ready to attack the tongs.
    My frogs seem to absolutely love fish too. I use fish to get picky eaters to eat.

WorldClassFrogCoddler

Hmm... That's a good tip, I will have to remember that. The problem I've read about is these little feeder fish, especially goldfish and such, are dirty and end up giving the frog some type of illness. Have you experienced anything like that? Fish definately seems healthier than mice to me.

DesertHeat

Generally true, I mean look at how pet stores keep them. While I've never done it myself, my understanding is that most people who feed fish to their frogs on a regular basis raise the fish themselves to ensure they're as healthy and nutritious as possible.

limnologist

Quote Originally Posted by WorldClassFrogCoddler View Post
    Hmm... That's a good tip, I will have to remember that. The problem I've read about is these little feeder fish, especially goldfish and such, are dirty and end up giving the frog some type of illness. Have you experienced anything like that? Fish definately seems healthier than mice to me.
    Ive never run into any illnesses with feeding fish, but I think thats only because the only thing that my fish get sick with is ich and Im pretty sure it doesnt affect frogs.

fish from the pet store are very unhealthy, what I do is put 20 $0.25 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank and feed them zucchini and fish food for a few day and then i use them.

I use mice for fattening when breeding, Fish for picky eaters, insects for juveniles, and lean meat (beef heart and chicken) mixed with various large vertebrates for my adults.

27. This member thanks limnologist for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information