Thread: World's Most Colorful Snake? - The 100 Flower Snake (Moellendorff's Ratsnake)

findiviglio

Default World's Most Colorful Snake? - The 100 Flower Snake (Moellendorff's Ratsnake)

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
    Although various American ratsnakes have long been pet trade staples, Asian species have received far less attention from snake enthusiasts. Among them, however, we find a fantastic diversity of colorful, interesting species, some of which are now being bred in captivity. My favorite is the magnificent Moellendorff’s Ratsnake or 100 Flower Snake (Orthriophis moellendorffi). It’s other common names – Red-Headed Ratsnake, Flower Snake and Trinket Snake – are a testament to its striking coloration. Considered by many to be the most beautiful of all ratsnakes (“designer morphs” included!), Moellendorff’s Ratsnake care is now fairly well-understood…and it may well become the next “break-out” species from Asia! Read the rest of this article here World
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile BlogThat Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: World's Most Colorful Snake? - The 100 Flower Snake (Moellendorff's Ratsnake)

Frank,,the moellendorff is an incredible snake no doubt. I always liked the tiger rat snake ,what do you think about those? Thanks ted

findiviglio

Default Re: World's Most Colorful Snake? - The 100 Flower Snake (Moellendorff's Ratsnake)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Frank,,the moellendorff is an incredible snake no doubt. I always liked the tiger rat snake ,what do you think about those? Thanks ted
    Hello Ted - You hit on one of my handsdown favorite snakes!..I was lucky enough to see Tiger Rats in the wild, and that did it for me! They need lots of space, but are well-worth it in my opinion; Here's some info: Captive Care of Latin American Ratsnakes - The Tiger RatsnakeThat Reptile Blog best, Frank

Thread Information