Thread: Fantasy frogs... Picky?

Naturaltanks13Dst

Default Fantasy frogs... Picky?

When I was a kid I had dreams of becoming a herpetologist, and because of that I've had numerous frogs, and toads, and lizards etc. However, I have never owned a Fantasy Frog! I recently ordered one from Petco, and it should arrive shortly. Then, just this morning I read a post on this forum about Fantasy Frogs being picky eaters! How picky is "picky"? Are we talking selection, like turning it's nose up to WaxWorms, or are we talking about feeding method? I've been considering tong feeding, as well as using a separate enclosure to avoid impactions.

Going back to diet, I plan to use Crickets, Nightcrawlers, Waxworms, and eventually Guppies or Rosy Reds, Pinky Mice, Etc. Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

plasticfaye

Default Re: Fantasy frogs... Picky?

I tong feed my fantasy, Nic, mostly crawlers. I have to pester him a bit at the start, nudge his nose several times, but he starts taking pieces readily after that. He always eats his pinkie mouse treats and all the leftover crickets from my red eyes. I wouldn't call him picky, maybe less reactive than Cranwell's, but not picky.

I tong feed because 1. It's easier to keep dust on a worm if it's not rolling around, and 2. I eventually want to put all my frogs on commercial pacman food as a staple, which will have to be fed using tongs. I still plan on offering a variety of other things, like what you have listed. I wouldn't make waxworms a big part of his diet, though.
    Last edited by plasticfaye; April 17th, 2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: more info

Naturaltanks13Dst

I can see why they wouldn't be a good staple, but is there anything else I need to know? Risk of impaction? I plan to feed crickets as a main staple, along with crawlers, but if waxworms can be detrimental then I can use them as fishbait!lol

plasticfaye

The crunchy bugs (waxworms, mealworms, dubia roaches) have a higher risk of impaction. If you feed them to your frog, make sure they are smaller, or much smaller in size than you think appropriate. They are more easily passed that way. Crickets are a good staple from what I've read.

Make sure to use a Calcium+D3 supplement AND a Vitamin supplement about every other feeding when younger. Repashy's "Super Foods Calcium Plus" combines the two into one dust.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

My fantasy frog is at least a lot more picky then my dwarf African bullfrog. Not sure how they are compared to regular pacmans.

Some days he just won't eat but normaly he eats roaches that I put in front of him. I usually put them on their backs right in front of his mouth and then he grabs them after some time when they start moving.

plasticfaye

I wonder how C. cornuta frogs are. I don't keep them, but are they more shy about eating? I bet that temperament is more dominant in some fantasy individuals and not others. I know the Green Apple (C. cranwelli x C. joazeirensis) is a lot more active and a better eater than my regular pacs. Joazis are known for their higher activity. Genetics are so interesting. =D

Thread Information