Thread: Enclosure

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Enclosure

I had my first death a little over a week ago. It was my only confirmed female. It seemed to be from impaction, but I cleaned out the tank and checked the water. All was fine and my other dudes seem to be doing well.
    However, I did change the set up a bit. Now they have about 2" of water with river stones as substrate, a few stacked large rocks and some fake lily pads to act as islands. They have a good land:water ratio so there is room for all of their froggy desires. Does this sound good? I can also post some photos later

And while I'm posting; I got recently diagnosed with strep. Although I do not ever handle my guys and wash my hands before feeding them(with tongs), would there be any possibility that I could harm them? Would it be better for my girlfriend to do pet duties?

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Enclosure

Your set-up sounds ok, though pics would be nice. About your strep, that's a fantastic question! I would at least wear gloves when feeding them and be sure to not breath on the little guys. I don't know if frogs are the same as aquatic turtles or iguanas, I know for a fact that those guys will die from human aliments. I lost a Green Iguana because my brother had the flu and handled our iguana, Draco, when I was a kid; even though I told him he would make him sick if he did, he said I was wrong but he died anyway with in days of him handling him. He started sneezing and stopped eating and we found him passed away one morning shortly after. I also lost a soft shell turtle, a baby - about the size of a half dollar, because one of my friends wanted to try and let him sit on his hand in the tank; we found out 2 days later that my friend had come down with a cold. About a week after that poor baby Chip died. I was so upset by these incidents, they were both VERY preventable. I have learned my lesson the hard way, now I don't let anyone hold my babies except my immediate family and VERY CLOSE friends. Even then, I have only let one of my closest friends hold my frogs ONE time and not again since because people just don't listen. I would not take the chance personally. When I am sick, I have my daughter feed the frogs and change the crickets food and water or me. I will not risk it. Only one time did I have to feed them myself while I was sick because my daughter was still too young and my husband was sicker than I was. I wore a medical mask and gloves also sanitized my hands and changed my clothes before hand just to be extra safe. Good luck with your little guys and I hope your girlfriend does not mind feeding them. I hope you get well quickly!

Best Wishes;
    MsBlueRose

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok I will take some pictures and get them up when I get home. I really want to put some low maintenance natural plants, but really haven't gotten my green thumb yet. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    And I can even get some new gloves and some surgical masks ;D

Мy darlings :

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Honestly, I am doing my first half water half land set up right now for my new Leopard Frog tadpoles. I don't have a lot of experience with water plants, yet... I do have some suggestions for the land plants though and I can tell you what I plan to put in my water side. I am going to use a tiger lotus for the water plant, not sure if I am gonna add more. I will have to see how it goes with this one. I have read that it can grow pretty wild so I may not need any others, lol. As for the land plants, I use Philodendrons, the vining plant with heart shaped leaves. I also have veining jews, some short decorative grass, and an ivy vine with the star shaped leaves. No idea what it is called, it had a generic tag in it when I bought it. All of those plant grow fairly well in my tanks. I have not started the lotus plant yet, so I can't really give any pointers for that one. But if you need help with the rest I would be glad to offer my advice. Good luck and I do hope you feel better soon.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MsBlueRose View Post
    Honestly, I am doing my first half water half land set up right now for my new Leopard Frog tadpoles. I don't have a lot of experience with water plants, yet... I do have some suggestions for the land plants though and I can tell you what I plan to put in my water side. I am going to use a tiger lotus for the water plant, not sure if I am gonna add more. I will have to see how it goes with this one. I have read that it can grow pretty wild so I may not need any others, lol. As for the land plants, I use Philodendrons, the vining plant with heart shaped leaves. I also have veining jews, some short decorative grass, and an ivy vine with the star shaped leaves. No idea what it is called, it had a generic tag in it when I bought it. All of those plant grow fairly well in my tanks. I have not started the lotus plant yet, so I can't really give any pointers for that one. But if you need help with the rest I would be glad to offer my advice. Good luck and I do hope you feel better soon.

This is how I have them set up. While it definitely seems functional, I think I can see some fun summer remodeling

Мy darlings :

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's a fairly simple setup but I like it! How big did you say the tank was? It looks a little small in the pic but then it does not look like you can see the whole tank either so looks can be deceiving. My only concern is the stacked slate rocks. Make sure they can not slide or be knocked off balance by the FBT's. I would be afraid that one would get crushed under the slate if it moved, but so long as they are completely stable they are safe. The setup is very nice though, good job! I am sure you will have lots of fun rearranging the design, I know I enjoy it when I redo my Grey Tree Frogs home.

Thread Information