Thread: Hi Everyone!

ngriffin2009

Default Hi Everyone!

Hi everyone! My name is Natalie and I was recently given a red eyed green tree frog. I had never before even though about frogs, so when it was given to me I immediatley started to research it. I am very glad I came across this forum. It has helped me very much! I am sure I will probably have questions in the future and am grateful there is a place where I can ask them

Jace

Default Re: Hi Everyone!

Welcome to the Forum, Natalie.

missclick

welcome
    I hope you have found the care sheet for red eyed tree frogs

Skulldroog

Hey there, welcome to the forums.

ngriffin2009

Hello! My friend gave me this frog and through the care sheet I found out that it has the completely wrong living enviorment so I have a bunch of stuff order to give it a better froggie life but I did have a couple quick questions that I haven't found an answer to yet.
    1. Do red eye tree frogs do better if they have another one in the cage with them. I don't know if they are solitary or social.

2. I have bark and cocunut subtrates coming in but where is the best place to put a heat mat in a 12x12x18 cage?

3. What live plants do you most recommend?

I appreciate all the help and advice as well as the quick responses. This forum rocks!

Kurt

1. It doesn't really matter. If you decide to get another, make sure to quarantine it before adding it to the enclosure with your frog.

2. I don't use heat mats myself.

3. Anything that will support the weight of these frogs. Possibly begonias, but then again I am no plant expert, so someone else may be better able to answered this question.

Welcome aboard.

Paul Rust

3. Pothos. They are wide and flat for them to cling to.

ngriffin2009

Thank you guys! I got the heat mat cause I can't seem to get the tank warm enough and I know that 80 is the temp I keep seeing over and over again so I trying to keep it close to that. If I am having that much trouble in the little tank then the big one I ordered is probably going to be a bit harder I'm guessing. The mat will be my back up plan. Humidity I either get it right on or a bit high. Darn Kansas humidity!

Quote Originally Posted by ngriffin2009 View Post
    Hello! My friend gave me this frog and through the care sheet I found out that it has the completely wrong living enviorment so I have a bunch of stuff order to give it a better froggie life but I did have a couple quick questions that I haven't found an answer to yet.
    1. Do red eye tree frogs do better if they have another one in the cage with them. I don't know if they are solitary or social.

2. I have bark and cocunut subtrates coming in but where is the best place to put a heat mat in a 12x12x18 cage?

3. What live plants do you most recommend?

I appreciate all the help and advice as well as the quick responses. This forum rocks!
    Frogs are normally solitary animals and as are most amphibians and reptiles. They dont mind company but they defenitely dont need it.

I would not use bark if I were you. See bark is very hard on a frogs skin, it can bruise it and cause infections and other problems. Not only that but when frogs and toads eat, they almost always eat bits of the substrate. If I were you, for a tree frog I would either use potting soil make sure it has absolutely no additives and no pesticides. You can also make the bottom "aquatic" because as their name suggest they are mainly arboreal. If not using an aquatic bottom then I would recomend a water dish that can fit the entire frog inside. You can use tropical plants such as orchids, ferns, I heard somewhere bamboo shoots, its all up to you. Dont use heat matts. Just use a basking lamp on one end of the tank and on the other you can leave it off. Or if you get a really tall tank, then it doesnt matter as long as the lower part is cooler, because then it can either go up or down for temperature adjustments.

Good luck with your frog and welcome to the forum.

Paul Rust

I don't use extra heat for leaf frogs either.

Yes you can use any tropical plant that you want. However, Agalychnis.spp are leaf frogs and spend the day clinging to the undersides of leaves. The females get very large so a sturdy, wide leafed plant is necessary to complete a natural environment. In my experience with them Pothos is ideal and it's where mine spend the day.

xkatelynell

Quote Originally Posted by ngriffin2009 View Post
    Thank you guys! I got the heat mat cause I can't seem to get the tank warm enough and I know that 80 is the temp I keep seeing over and over again so I trying to keep it close to that. If I am having that much trouble in the little tank then the big one I ordered is probably going to be a bit harder I'm guessing. The mat will be my back up plan. Humidity I either get it right on or a bit high. Darn Kansas humidity!
    I live in Kansas as well and the humidity is really bad here lately but I only use a 'daylight' bulb for mine and it does just fine

ngriffin2009

Thank you all again for all the great advice! I appreciate it very much!

Thread Information