Thread: New guy

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New guy

Hi! I'm new here, but have experience with animal forums, as I've been caring for many hermit crabs for nearly a year now. I recently acquired a green tree frog, about 1.5 to 2 inches in length, with a 20 gallon long tank (I know high is preferred, but I just need to find a tall one, or convert my tank). I just have a couple questions. I recently bought another green tree frog, but unfortunately, I believe that the slightly larger one (only about 1/2 inch difference), may have eaten the other one. They were both green tree frogs, so I do not know why this happened, and it's quite sad. Is there anything I need to know about something I did wrong? I would have liked for my first one to have a buddy. I have plenty of branches, fake plants, and climbing things for my frog, which sort of makes up a little bit for it being a terrestrial tank. I have a large corner water dish, about an inch tall with stones in it, coconut fiber substrate, and a corner with sphagnum moss. I mist daily, and have a small uth on one side of the tank. About half of the screen lid is covered with masking tape for moisture. I have about 20-30 small crickets in a cricket carrier right now. I plan to get a uvb bulb soon, as well.

Is there anything else I should know or do?

Can I house green tree frogs together?

I've heard about moving the frog into a separate container for feeding, but have also heard not to handle, which one is right?

Thanks for any comments or advice.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New guy

Hello and welcome to FF! Sorry you lost one of the frogs . Sadly, most frogs will eat other frogs that fit in their large mouths, including their own kind. What species of Green Tree Frogs are you keeping, the American Hyla or the Australian Litoria? Depending on the frog species, you will have to provide it's temperature and humidity needs. You can house multiple, same species frogs, in the same enclosure as long as they are close in size and the enclosure is big enough to house all.

Recommend not moving tree frogs to separate container to feed. Better is to use a small glass bowl and place the insects inside; they won't get out. Once frogs learn to eat from it they will associate the bowl with food. Remember to use food supplements: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

A 20L is not a good enclosure for tree frogs unless stood on it's side after a vertical conversion. Tree frogs like to climb and 24-36 in. tall enclosures are recommended. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

thank you for all the advice! I hope to order a conversion kit from junglebox.net, as soon as I can get the money. I'll make sure to find the food supplements. When you say glass container, would that work for crickets, even though they can jump? How tall would it have to be? I have Fluker's High-Calcium Cricket Diet right now, which has about 8% calcium. Would I need more than that? Where could I find supplements?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by jarteta97 View Post
    thank you for all the advice! I hope to order a conversion kit from junglebox.net, as soon as I can get the money. I'll make sure to find the food supplements. When you say glass container, would that work for crickets, even though they can jump? How tall would it have to be? I have Fluker's High-Calcium Cricket Diet right now, which has about 8% calcium. Would I need more than that? Where could I find supplements?
    You are welcome! Crickets do not jump out of a glass bowl (nor will Dubias climb out); a small one with 2-3 in. tall sides will work OK. You will need to clean daily since dirt/dust on bowl will allow them traction to get out. Best food for crickets are carrots, lettuce, and crushed cherios/oats. Can find Repashy or RepCal supplements (best) at local pet shops .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Tongue Flicker

Hi welcome aboard!

Thread Information